Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Hey everyone, hope your machines are all running smooth and fast. =)

Still a couple issues on my H77N-wifi / i5-3570k / 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 system.

1) System still won't boot on it's own. Displays some numbers and a J and blinking cursor. Only way to boot is by booting with ML install flash, hitting F12 to see the boot menu, and then selecting the bootable drive. I've reordered things in the BIOS, turned on only Legacy booting, etc... can't get past this one...

2) RAM defaults to 1333. How can I make it run at 1600?

3) Bluetooth mouse sometimes won't wake the screen from sleep, hitting space bar brings it back but bluetooth mouse is completely unresponsive. Plugin a USB mouse, go to bluetooth settings and either there's no mouse listed and need to add it again or it's still listed but not working at all and have to remove it and readd it. Thoughts?

4) Sleep doesn't seem to be functioning. CPU and PSU fans running full speed constantly even when the screen shuts off. Anyway to get this to really sleep? And by not functioning I mean it goes to sleep with all fans running and then won't wake up again. Needs a hard power down and reboot.

Thanks!

1) System still won't boot on it's own. Displays some numbers and a J and blinking cursor. Only way to boot is by booting with ML install flash, hitting F12 to see the boot menu, and then selecting the bootable drive. I've reordered things in the BIOS, turned on only Legacy booting, etc... can't get past this one...
Download the Chimera package from the Downloads area of this site and run the installer. Hopefully that will fix the boot blocks on that drive so the BIOS can boot from it. Did you check Chimera when you were running MultiBeast?

2) RAM defaults to 1333. How can I make it run at 1600?
Mine did this too. In the BIOS change the memory clock multiplier from 133 to 160. Some people report selecting XMP Profile1 works instead, but I didn't have to do that.

I ran Chimera from a download, not sure if I ever checked it during Multibeast. Can I run multibeast again or do I have to reinstall everything again?

Will check the memory clock, thanks!

Download the Chimera package from the Downloads area of this site and run the installer. Hopefully that will fix the boot blocks on that drive so the BIOS can boot from it. Did you check Chimera when you were running MultiBeast?

Mine did this too. In the BIOS change the memory clock multiplier from 133 to 160. Some people report selecting XMP Profile1 works instead, but I didn't have to do that.

I ran Chimera from a download, not sure if I ever checked it during Multibeast. Can I run multibeast again or do I have to reinstall everything again?
Running it standalone, or running it from MultiBeast with only Chimera ticked: I think they do the same thing.

You can even run it when booted from another drive: just make sure that the Install Location (which you can choose during the install process) is the target drive.

I completed my first build yesterday and it is working great! I used the following components:

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
Intel i7-3770K
Corsair Hydro H55 cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz
BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm
Corsair TX650 power supply
TP-Link Wireless N PCI-Express
Apple Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard

I have a nearly identical setup to alexvery and found his post very helpful: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...0go-dd-16go-ram-geforce-640-a.html#post508349

It took a half day of fooling around with the install to get everything working properly. If I had read the description of MultiBeast more carefully I would have wasted less time---I didn't understand that it made the internal drive bootable--- but it was fun nevertheless.

I know many people have reported difficultly with bluetooth using this board. Mine is working well. It was very laggy initially, especially with the Magic Trackpad, but installing the supplied antennae helped a lot. Don't know if they are actually connected to the bluetooth part of the motherboard or are just helping with interference.

The cooler is a tight fit in the case. It interferes with the USB 3.0 connection to the front of the case, so I will either have to remount the cooler to the front or try to find some kind of low profile connector.

Geekbench score is 13988 (using the 64-bit setting).

How did you attach for TP-Link to the Z77N?

Hi All,

I have just finished installing OSX on my new customac, however I'm having issues with the graphics.

If I have GraphicsEnaber set to Yes, the screen goes garbled when it gets to the log in screen. If I have it set to No, I can use the screen fine but can only get a resolution of 1024x768. I'm using the DVI port, is this a problem?

Everything else is as per the basic build for the CustoMac.

System Profiler States:
Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0162
Revision ID: 0x0009
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Any suggestions?

Hello all,

For my first Hackintosh, I decided to go with the 2012 Customac Mini with the exact components recommended by Tonymac:

GA-H77N-WIFI
Intel Core i3-3225 (HD4000)
16GB Corsair
Running 10.8.2

I used 5.2 Multibeast with the DSDT from this site to get HDMI audio (which supposedly has already been edited for sleep) and everything works great except WAKING from sleep. The machine sleeps and appears to wake, but I don't get any video output through HDMI. I've searched high and low for a solution without any success. I don't have a "Wake on LAN" option to disable, and I've verified that NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not in S/L/E.

Does anyone have any ideas? My machine is working beautifully except for this one issue which is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Thanks a lot boum for your reply.

I am glad that I wasn't the only one that is having trouble with this, Can I suggest that you try to open itunes in finder, get info then tick the box 32bit, quit iTunes and relaunch. After a fresh install today with no DSDT it seems to working but only under 32bit. I appreciate that you have taken the time to check this out.

Sorry for the delay, even though it takes just 1-2 minutes to do this test I did not manage to find the time to try it out before today. Interestingly, I could watch a movie trailer with sound when launching iTunes 11 in 32-bit mode. Launching it again in 64-bit mode brought back the previous behaviour - i.e. player shows up, but no image, no sound and no apparent download of the trailer.

Hello all,

For my first Hackintosh, I decided to go with the 2012 Customac Mini with the exact components recommended by Tonymac:

GA-H77N-WIFI
Intel Core i3-3225 (HD4000)
16GB Corsair
Running 10.8.2

I used 5.2 Multibeast with the DSDT from this site to get HDMI audio (which supposedly has already been edited for sleep) and everything works great except WAKING from sleep. The machine sleeps and appears to wake, but I don't get any video output through HDMI. I've searched high and low for a solution without any success. I don't have a "Wake on LAN" option to disable, and I've verified that NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not in S/L/E.

Does anyone have any ideas? My machine is working beautifully except for this one issue which is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance for any assistance!

If you try to wake the computer and wait 10 minutes, does the screen remains blank and does the caps lock light toggles on / off when pressing the caps lock key? (you need to set System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Computer Sleep to something larger than 10 for this test to work)

Hi!

This is my first hackintosh and I got everything working great! Except, my HD 4000 will only output video to my monitor (1200X1920) and not my TV (1080p). No signal makes it to my TV.

I have the exact setup from the budget build of the 2012 hack mini. SO the i3, H77N Wifi, and OS X 10.8.2.

My graphics card shows up correctly in system prefs and detects my monitor. But while plugged into my TV it does not. I have tried restarting etc. What could be the problem?

Matt

Back