Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Hello everybody,
I'm totally new to this Hackintosh universe, and I'd like to build a Hackintosh Mini trough the guide.
I've read a lot of the messeages in this and other threads, and i've come across a lot of useful info
But I still have a lot of doubts and i can't really figure out what i can or can't do, and i'd really like to have a clear idea before spending all that money on parts.

I was going for a deluxe set:

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770
Motherborad - Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
RAM - 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
Case - BitFenix Prodigy
Power supply - Corsair 650TX Modular
Graphics card - GeForce GTX 670
Hard Disks - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
- SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

So, my main concern is to have a stable system where i can fully use:
* WIFI connectivity
* Bluetooth connectivity
* working sound and peripherals

And after reading different posts, I still have these questions:

1) Apparently the Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI on board wifi chip doesn't work under ML, so i'll ahve to use the PCIe slot with another WIfi Card, is that right?
If that's the case, I won't be able to use a dedicated graphic card will I?

2) Is ther any possibility to use another motherboard with 2 PCIe slots like the asus P8Z77-M? i heard you hace to modify something but is it stable and sure?

3) Will i have any problems with audio? I didn't quite understand all those "HDMI audio" issues...

4) Will I be able to connect any display to this hackintosh? tha Apple Thunderbolt Display? Those Korean IPS displays?

Thank you all for your help, i'd really like to build my first hackintosh, so any help would be really great!!!
And sorry for the noobiness ;-)

Hello everybody,
I'm totally new to this Hackintosh universe, and I'd like to build a Hackintosh Mini trough the guide.
I've read a lot of the messeages in this and other threads, and i've come across a lot of useful info
But I still have a lot of doubts and i can't really figure out what i can or can't do, and i'd really like to have a clear idea before spending all that money on parts.

I was going for a deluxe set:

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770
Case - BitFenix Prodigy
Power supply - Corsair 650TX Modular
Graphics card - GeForce GTX 670
Hard Disks - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
- SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

So, my main concern is to have a stable system where i can fully use:
* WIFI connectivity
* Bluetooth connectivity
* working sound and peripherals

And after reading different posts, I still have these questions:

1) Apparently the Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI on board wifi chip doesn't work under ML, so i'll ahve to use the PCIe slot with another WIfi Card, is that right?
If that's the case, I won't be able to use a dedicated graphic card will I?

2) Is ther any possibility to use another motherboard with 2 PCIe slots like the asus P8Z77-M? i heard you hace to modify something but is it stable and sure?

3) Will i have any problems with audio? I didn't quite understand all thoseio" issue...

4) Will I be able to connect any display to this hacktha Apple Thunderbolt Display? Those Korean IPS displays?

Thank you all for your help, i'd really like to build my first hackintosh, so any help would be really great!!!
And sorry for the noobiness ;-)

The onboard WiFi is in a mini pci express slot that can be swapped out with one that works natively per the original post. You will need to add Bluetooth dongle. Onboard audio works ootb hdmi needs dsdt edits.
The case only has space for a video card, no additional pci slots. Also if you're getting the 3770 you can save money by getting the h77n mb as the only diff is overclocking ability

Hey guys, I'm experiencing problems once again. Directly after my computer is booted, my screen turns off. It will only work with GraphicsEnabler=0. It's a DVI screen connected to the DVI port of the MoBo. Do you have any advice? :crazy:

EDIT: I'm now using a HDMI to DVI cable and it works. This is so weird....

So is this a known issue with the USB 3.0 ports not working on boot?
It's a known issue with USB 2.0 storage devices only working on the USB 3.0 ports when connected through a hub. It's been mentioned many times by now.
USB 2.0 devices work on the USB 2.0 ports no problem, and as far as I know USB 3.0 devices work on the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports no problem.
Easiest demonstration of the problem is with a USB 2.0 thumb drive.
I'm curious to know if a related issue is affecting your NIC.

Some of the USB 3.0 ports on my Z77X-UP5 motherboard go through on-board hubs and the thumb drive will work fine on them. Some of the other ports don't, and the thumb drive will only work when connected through an external hub. On the H77N-WIFI board (I have one of these too) there are no onboard hubs and the behaviour is consistent.

USB hubs are so cheap (and I already had a couple) that it's more of an annoyance than a problem to me. But because at the moment the front USB ports of my HTPC are most likely to be used by USB 2.0 thumb drives, it did cause me to connect those ports to a USB 2.0 header instead of USB 3.0.
BTW there's nothing "on boot" about it. Issue exists "after boot" also. :)

Have you tried it when connected to a USB 3.0 hub which is connected to a USB 3.0 port?
If that works (for example USB 2.0 hard drives do) it would be interesting to look into System Information and see where in the USB device tree it's ending up.
Actually it would be useful to see the USB device tree even when not connected through a hub.

Has anyone got this build running 24/7 and if so, is your ethernet reliable?

I built a pretty standard box-
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K
Power supply - PicoPSU 160w
Graphics - HD4000
Hard Disk - Plextor M5 SSD

It's running as a headless file and media server. Pretty much every time it gets used for copying or rsyncing large amounts of data from or to a NAS, it drops it's ethernet connection. By large, I mean several hundred gig of audio and video files.

Initially had it setup with the Lnx2Mac driver, but it crashed pretty much every time I tried to back up the media library. I switched to the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet driver and it seems to be about the same.

Other than this issue, it runs fine, just not reliable. :(

Hi guys
After a day the whole system crashed irrecoverably. I was trying to get analogue sound to work by running Multibeast again. Analogue sound worked, but a bit poppy - as reported elsewhere.
Machine was put to sleep, while we had some tea, then when woken up, after a few minutes - crash.
Had to boot in safe mode.
Still don't know what we did, but system was corrupted - spotlight didn't work, some file permissions were weird.
Tried re-running Multibeast but no good. Had to save data to the HDD and re-install system on SSD. It took around 30 mins and then worked just fine.
We have had no trouble since, We are buying a small USB dongle to get over the sound problem - here' hoping...
We have not been able to get BBC iPlayer or 4od working - BBC iPlayer plays intro screen of item (circa 3 seconds) then freezes.
Flash player is latest available and flash movies work on other web pages, is this a DRM issue?
Help please!
Otherwise very pleased, runs like a dream, apart from the noisy PS fan I mentioned before!
Cheers :)

I had a good deal of trouble getting HDMI to work with the GA-Z77N-wifi. I thought i had done everything correctly with the DSDT and couldn't figure out why HDMI wasn't showing in "system preferences" and of course not working. I sent Toleda the zipped DSDT and IO Registry in one of the other forum threads and he immediately knew the problem. It is necessary to plug the HDMI cable into the BOTTOM HDMI PORT. Because it was more convenient, i had it plugged into the top port. A simple thing like this was the problem. I hope this helps someone.

Thank you so much. You just made my night. And for what it's worth to anyone else, I have the H77N-wifi.

I built from this guide this week, and although everything works, sleep is not working, Intel Virtualisation Technology was turned off in the BIOS which I re-enabled but made no difference. It sleeps fine and seems to wake on mouse click but maybe the HDMI graphics do not work on wake. Is there any log I can view to see why this is happening? Does anyone else have the same issue?

I completed my first build yesterday and it is working great! I used the following components:

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
Intel i7-3770K
Corsair Hydro H55 cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz
BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm
Corsair TX650 power supply
TP-Link Wireless N PCI-Express
Apple Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard

I have a nearly identical setup to alexvery and found his post very helpful: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...0go-dd-16go-ram-geforce-640-a.html#post508349

It took a half day of fooling around with the install to get everything working properly. If I had read the description of MultiBeast more carefully I would have wasted less time---I didn't understand that it made the internal drive bootable--- but it was fun nevertheless.

I know many people have reported difficultly with bluetooth using this board. Mine is working well. It was very laggy initially, especially with the Magic Trackpad, but installing the supplied antennae helped a lot. Don't know if they are actually connected to the bluetooth part of the motherboard or are just helping with interference.

The cooler is a tight fit in the case. It interferes with the USB 3.0 connection to the front of the case, so I will either have to remount the cooler to the front or try to find some kind of low profile connector.

Geekbench score is 13988 (using the 64-bit setting).

Back