Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Motherboard
MAC
CPU
i7-3770K @ 3.6 Ghz
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Someone please rescue me.

Running H77 Wifi, Core i5 3570k, TP Link Wifi, onboard Intel 4000 and that's about it.

System works great except for very stutter-y bluetooth mouse performance. Haven't tried HDMI yet, DVI works perfect at 1080p.

But the system will not boot on it's own still. Needs the bootable OSX drive to Chameleon screen and then select bootable hard drive. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but really... why can't I get this to work?

I've done multibeast DSDT free mostly, tried DSDT but got an error. Dont' think that's the problem anyways. Ran Chimera afterwards, same issue. I really think it has to be a motherboard setting?

Are all your systems booting fine with no motherboard setting changes? Please help...

There are BIOS settings elsewhere on the forums for this series gigabyte motherboard, suggest you go through those settings and reinstall from scratch. I had no issues except I had to boot -x to get to the installer and sleep doesn't work unless I manually put it to sleep, but I am running the Z77 not the H77.

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R / Gigabyte H77N-Wifi
CPU
i7-950 / i3-3225
Graphics
Nvidia 8400GS (Asus fanless) / HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In regards to your machine. Would to be so kind as to tell me your install method and setup step by step to get 10.8.2 running without any issues? I'm running 10.8 and have everything working except as you can see in the posts below I cannot boot the machine by itself. Have to boot off Chameleon OS X flash drive and then select the HDD. Boots fine then but without that flash I cannot boot the machine. V frustrating. Thanks!

I'll try to summarize from what I remember what I did, hopefully it can help:

1. Prepared the USB 2.0 drive with 10.8.2 & Unibeast. Also had MultiBeast downloaded to this USB key, along with the DSDT from the database because I wanted HDMI audio.
2. My system had only the i3-3225, 2x4GB RAM DIMM, 1 HDD connected to the first SATA port, USB keyboard & mouse. Display connected to the bottom HDMI port.
3. In the BIOS, load optimized defaults.
4. In the BIOS, set Enable Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) to profile 1 (else my memory was underclocked, but the system worked with both settings).
5. Save and exit BIOS (you might want to adjust the VT-d setting; my CPU does not support it so it is automatically disabled for me).
6. Hit F12 and select the USB drive to boot.
7. In the boot loader, selected the UniBeast (don't remember exact name) partition.
7. Once the installer is booted, went to Disk Utility to partition my hard drive, making sure the partition table scheme was set to GUID via the options button, and the file system was Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I don't recommend using case-sensitive FS since some apps don't expect it and can cause some odd issues.
8. Quit the Disk Utility to go back to the installer.
9. Proceed with the installation.
10. Once the system reboots, hit F12 again to select the USB drive;
11. In the boot loader menu, select your newly installed OSX partition on your hard drive; I might have needed to type -x for the boot to complete at this point.
12. Proceed with the new computer & user setup wizard, skipping the registration.
13. Accessing the USB drive, copied the DSDT file to my desktop without renaming it (so it still has the same name as downloaded from the database and is longer than DSDT.aml).
14. Ran MultiBeast selecting the hard drive system partition as the installation target and used the exact same settings as in post #1 in the screenshot "with DSDT".
15. This will pop up the Linux2Mac network driver installation wizard, which you also need to complete at this point.
16. Once the Linux2Mac installation is completed, you will be prompted to reboot.

At this point I could boot to the hard drive without the USB and the system worked OK (some wake-from-sleep issues but this aside, it was working great). Once you are at this point (i.e. booting system that you use used a a while to make sure everything appears to work ok), you can begin to connect other hardware. Always best to start with a minimal setup, make it work, and add extra hardware one by one so you know which piece is causing problems.

I left out the 2 TB and larger hard drive boot fix that I had to do to make the system work, but I did it as a final step.

Hopefully you can use this info as a rough guide to get your system running ok. Good luck!

edit: step 2: specified how my display was connected.

Motherboard
MAC
CPU
i7-3770K @ 3.6 Ghz
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Tricky part is finding memory that is on the Z77 Wifi compatibility list because if you want 16gb or more, the part numbers aren't listed that way, they're only listed in 8gb, and the 16gb kits have different part numbers, it's super annoying. I took the list down to Tigerdirect and ended up matching the part numbers as closely as I could with from an 8gb stick to a 16gb kit and thankfully I have had no issues so far. Only annoyance is that the memory wants to default to 1333 and has to be set to overclock to 1600Mhz. Ended up going with the Kingston Hyper X Blu memory, I think 16gb was $89 so I picked it up, it went on sale the next week so I went back and got $10.00 back as well.

Of note, the official buyers guide recommends Corsair Vengence LP memory, yet in the Z77 Wifi reviews section, Gigabyte themselves says do not use Low Power memory, and I'm guessing that's what LP means. Some other guy bought a different part number, but still LP memory, and the machine wouldn't recognize 8gb of the 16gb and Gigabyte said only use memory on the officially supported list as LP memory wasn't supported or tested.

Here's what I'm using on mine:

Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104302

Motherboard
MAC
CPU
i7-3770K @ 3.6 Ghz
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Anyone got any ideas on how to make this thing sleep besides having to select the apple logo then sleep?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R / Gigabyte H77N-Wifi
CPU
i7-950 / i3-3225
Graphics
Nvidia 8400GS (Asus fanless) / HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mine auto-sleeps ok at the moment. I've had intermittent wake issues that I discussed earlier here. My last attempt was to create my own DSDT; so far it is still working well.

Many things can interfere with auto sleep, including software. Check with pmset -g assertions to see if you have processes preventing the system from going to sleep. If you have an optical drive, it may also be causing this. When pmset does not list any process and I don't know where to start, my preference is to go back to the bare-bones system I describe in post #436 (motherboard, cpu, ram, 1 hdd, usb keyboard and mouse, that's it), start with a clean installation, don't change anything in the system preferences except the go to sleep delay and see if sleep works (it should with this system). Then add 1 hw piece at a time, testing auto-sleep after each addition. Then install apps, ideally testing after each. For me, it's always been hardware-related and this process helped me figure which piece was causing issues.

If your computer goes to sleep automatically but seem to not wake up completely (i.e. powers on but screen remains blank), give it 5-10 minutes and see if in the end it wakes up fully. This is what I was referring to by "intermittent wake issues" - I'm not sure what makes it appear, but once it's there, it does not go away by itself. Again, making my own DSDT got rid of this - for now at least.

Motherboard
Hack Mini
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I'm going to format and start fresh. Any issues if I backup the data to a different partition on the same drive and just format the bootable partition of that drive? Would there be a reason too completely wipe the entire drive?

Project weekend! =)

Motherboard
Hack Mini
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Plot thickens:

No VT-d setting in the bios. Same bios/board as bitdoctor's Mac Pro Mini build. Manual says VT-d option only shows for processors that support VT-d. Does my 3570k not support that so that's why it's not listed?

Bitdoctor also had a boot problem very similar if not identical to my own until he disabled VT-d. But I can't, it's just not there.

Ideas? Should I still reformat/reinstall?

Motherboard
H77
CPU
i3
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi

Just tried hackintosh in my new htpc which is this H77N-Wifi board, first time since those tiger day with EP45 chipset.

I read through this thread and would like to share my experience.

My build is I3225 with on board HD4000 in Lian Li Q-07 case. I used it to connect to LCD TV so I figured I'd use DSDT to enable Audio over HDMI. Downloded DSDT from DB and did what described in 1st page. Everything went smooth until restart. On next boot it went into Kernel Panic. Retried 2-3 times ended up in same Kernel Panic everytimes.

Figured out it happened when I checked ALC892 drivers in multibeast. Reinstalled and checked only Lan Drivers & Use DSDT & 1080p- customization. On next boot everything went good , Audio over HDMI was working. Only thing missing is other sound input / output not working since no ALC892 drivers was installed. Played with it or few hours and decided to messed thing up again.

Ran multibeast again with only ALC892 no DSDT checked. Reboot and no audio over hdmi but others inputs / outputs detected as expected. No kernel panic encountered.

Ran multibeast again with only ALC892 use DSDT checked. Reboot and same resulted. (expected)

Copy DSDT.aml in to /Extras & deleted /S/L/E HDAenabler1.kext . Reboot and no kernel panick encountered. And boom all sound input / output working now with Audio over HDMI as well. Everything looks good. Never use sleep so can't comment on that.

So maybe it'd help someone encountered the same Kernel Panic as mine (Mimova?)

Motherboard
MAC
CPU
i7-3770K @ 3.6 Ghz
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Pics from build last night of my friend's setup, I had major problems with HDMI and my monitor. When I set it to 1080p force with Multibeast the picture would just scramble. In fact, anything other than default, the picture would scramble, and my TV Monitor will support all resolutions. I ended up having to reinstall and NOT select 1080p, but I still have no idea what will happen when he gets home and connects it to his display. When it would come up and display fine, I would change the resolution to even 720p and then the picture would scramble and I would have no way of restoring the picture from that point on.

20130124_192502.jpg20130124_192518.jpg20130124_192449.jpg20130124_192526.jpg20130124_192543.jpg

Motherboard
MAC
CPU
i7-3770K @ 3.6 Ghz
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
LNX Ethernet drivers - Repeated on several systems, the driver won't get an IP address via DHCP if you disconnect and reconnect it, even if you try to renew lease. The only thing that works is a reboot.