Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

As I can see you have also an i3-3225. This is very strange, why this happens to some builds. If I ran Multibeast only with FakeSMC again, the system won't boot any longer....

I do not use FAKESMC, I did not select that option. That may be the problem. As I understand it, FakeSMC is automatically installed when you run multibeast without selecting it.

I was able to get this build fully functional, so I thought I'd share what I did.

Here's the specific hardware that I used:
intel i3-3225 processor
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI motherboard
8 gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
EVGA GeForce GTA 650 graphics card
SanDisk Extreme 120 gb ssd
Cooler Master Elite 120 case and Extreme power plus 500W power supply

I used the following commands to boot from the hard drive: "GraphicsEnabler=No, GCIRootUID=0." Some people have mentioned having trouble with graphics cards, and have had to install the OS without the card, but I was able to do the whole process with the graphics card installed.

I used all of the drivers shown here, with one exception. A few other people have mentioned having trouble with the "recommended" lnx2mac network driver. I was unable to get that driver to work as well. However, using the gigabit realtek driver worked. Only one of my two ethernet ports works, but I don't particularly care.

Thanks to tonymacx86 and everyone who has contributed to this site. I had never built a computer before, and this site was a great resource for me.

Did you install FakeSMC and the HWMonitor app? That broke my install with MultiBeast 5.1.3. Works fine without it (I think FakeSMC gets installed anyway).

Hmmm.. yes, I did.. HWMonitor is working ok now.. touch wood, not planning to mess with it unless I have to. Will make sure to delete HWmonitor and its kext before rerunning multibeast though, and make sure not to select them in the options.

thanks!

I never saw an answer on why we need a separate Wifi card for this set-up. Will the on-board capability work or do we have to get a separate card? If we have to go separate, you can't get a discrete video card.

I am trying to dual boot this to Win 7 and OS X and want multiple monitors for both.

Thanks

Noo-Beee

the onboard won't work natively under ML, you can take out the onboard wifi card since it's not soldered to the MB, just replace with a mini one which compatible with ML

Does anyone has issue with Mac mini Sleep function when enable VT-i on BIOS (virtualization Technology for Vmware)

since everything if I enable Vt-i, my mac mini couldn't wake from sleep

I never saw an answer on why we need a separate Wifi card for this set-up. Will the on-board capability work or do we have to get a separate card? If we have to go separate, you can't get a discrete video card.

I am trying to dual boot this to Win 7 and OS X and want multiple monitors for both.

Thanks

Noo-Beee

The Mini Half Height PCI e card supplied is an Intel Centrino 630, (which is an integrated BT 4.0 and b,g,n Wifi) and it's not supported by OS X. If you don't mind resorting to a dongle for bluetooth, because bizarrely this card's bluetooth works out of the box on OS X, you can replace the installed Mini PCI e with a Atheros AR9280 / AR5BHB92 (Same card, just different names) which supports Wifi, Airdrop, Airplay and Dual Band b,g & n without any messing. It even works straight away using the installer for Mountain lion to download updates before your OS is installed.

I think it's bad advice on this build to get a PCIE card, because the Mini PCI e slot on the board will take the AR9280 without any modifications, you just lose the onboard BT. I've got an Asus 660Ti in the only PCI e slot, and the Atheros replacing the centrino card that was in there.

Great thing about the centrino cards is they are worth about 3x what the atheros is, so you can easily sell it to someone with a windows laptop that wants an upgrade.

The only issue I had with this was that I ordered my card after I'd already installed my build, and after I tooik the old card out and rebooted with the new card installed, I couldn't get rid of the Bluetooth icon in the finder, and it won't go away no matter what I try. If you create a new user afterwards, it's not an issue, so I could just create a new user, copy my files back over, delete my old account, then create a new account with the same name and copy the files over again. I might do someday but for the moment I can live with a greyed out BT icon.

Funny thing is, after I booted up Windows 7, with the same change in cards, it bluescreened everytime unless I booted in safe mode. Then I couldn't delete the original intel driver, even trying the commandline to delete all trace of it. It's scary when a Hackintosh is more forgiving than Windows.

Does anyone has issue with Mac mini Sleep function when enable VT-i on BIOS (virtualization Technology for Vmware)

since everything if I enable Vt-i, my mac mini couldn't wake from sleep

Only if I set sleep to automatic. If I disable it in SP, and just let the monitor go to sleep, I can hit the power button for sleep, and wake the next day to the login screen by doing the usial keyboard slap/mouse wiggle. Even when I had issues before, I could still SSH into the machine, and also remote in, with display, but the display was not waking, so don't know if that was down to my graphics card or what? Didn't have this issue in this build when I used my XFX 4850 with the ML 4800 kext, but now I'm using an Asus 660ti with the Nvidia drivers so who knows. My 2007 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro doesn't like to wake from sleep on ML either if it's been left a while, I have to reboot that too?

Hello Tonymacx86,

can you say something about the Multibeast issue? If I ran it twice, the boot will stop right here:

Only a fresh install helps.....

Foto.jpg

Back