Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just updated mine, the exact customac mini build, usb3, i3, etc and so forth. 10.8.2, worked fine. I use one monitor, and my tv, just made sure i installed the 899 sound driver and used the f9-hdmi dsdt from the first post. Everything works perfectly.

I'm assuming you can't use an ivy bridge CPU with this motherboard... Anyone can confirm this? Though, it seems that it would only take a new cpu and motherboard and this would be the mini 2012.

Hello guys,

I get "Still waiting for root device" while trying to boot new installed Lion on "CustoMac Mini 2011"-components.

I tried -x; UseKernelCache=No.
BIOS Settings are set like Tony's show at top Page of this Thread.

My HDD is an SATA on "blue" Port.

Please help :(

I finally got some extra time and began upgrading one of my CustoMac Mini 2011's (H67N-USB3-B3 w/F7 Bios) to Mountain Lion. Downloaded and installed 10.8.2 from the apple store w UniBeast 1.7.0. I used the F9 DSDT from post #2 in this thread. Ran MultiBeast 5.2.1 and made the modifications to the setup as shown in post #2 in this thread.

I have working video out from both HDMI's.

Audio shows no devices except my Logitech camera mic- I must have borked something when I did the install so I have to go back and re-read toleda's ML: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx a couple of times. Maybe I just need to change the Audio ID to '3' to get HD3000 HDMI audio, but I'm a little surprised I don't get any analog preferences, even if they're wrong because they get defaulted to layout ID 1. I also don't know if the MultiBeast DSDT installation is supposed to be done first, and then MultiBeast needs to be run a second time for MultiBeast to make edits to the DSDT. And maybe the problem is that I used the DSDT from post #2 which is already edited.

Questions:

1. What is the recommended network kext to install from MultiBeast for this board- Lnx-to-Mac or Realtek?

2. What is the recommended USB3 kext to install from MultiBeast for this board- CalDigit or LaCie? (BTW, the last I read about USB3 Drivers there were some issues with freeze-ups on very large file transfers, if that hasn't been resolved, I have a couple of Orico PFU3-4P USB3 cards w Fresco Logic 1100 controllers that have native support in Mountain Lion... maybe I'd be better off not installing a USB3 driver from Multibeast and installing an Orico card instead???

3. The DSDT in post #2... is this a DSDT from the latest batch of edits last year that was supposed to fix some sleep issues?

4. Does my BIOS ver have to match my installed DSDT? Current BIOS is F7 and the DSDT in post #2 is F9.

5. I installed the 3rd Party SATA drivers only... my boot drive shows up as an orange external drive... why is that? That wasn't the behavior for my Lion install on this board.

Once I get the answers to these questions sorted out, I'll be well along the way to having a completed system.

Thanks to everyone who posted about their installs in this thread, reading through them helped me a lot with me up to speed.

A few notes about my install... I had to start my UniBeast installer with GraphicsEnabler=No, otherwise the display would freeze before the installed got fully booted. I also had to do the same when booting into the newly installed drive... and then, I only had 1024 x 768 max resolution until I ran MultiBeast. Towards the end of the initial installation, the display turned completely gray with only a mouse cursor on it for quite some time while it was finishing up writing files. After it rebooted into the hard drive, the display came back. I don't remember any of this happening when I installed Lion.

One last thing... MultiBeast 5.2.1 no longer has 'System Utilities' option to repair permissions??? I used Disk Utility to repair them. Did I miss them somewhere?

Audio shows no devices except my Logitech camera mic- I must have borked something when I did the install so I have to go back and re-read toleda's ML: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx a couple of times. Maybe I just need to change the Audio ID to '3' to get HD3000 HDMI audio, but I'm a little surprised I don't get any analog preferences, even if they're wrong because they get defaulted to layout ID 1.

3. The DSDT in post #2... is this a DSDT from the latest batch of edits last year that was supposed to fix some sleep issues?

4. Does my BIOS ver have to match my installed DSDT? Current BIOS is F7 and the DSDT in post #2 is F9?
dsdt answers:
1. The dsdt version should not be higher than the BIOS. Recommend BIOS update to F9.
2. Post #2 H67N/F9 dsdt has the latest edits plus HDMI audio
3. In ML, Audio IDs changed simply because the old IDs no longer work. As Post #2 says, edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 for both onboard and HDMI audio.

dsdt answers:
1. The dsdt version should not be higher than the BIOS. Recommend BIOS update to F9.
2. Post #2 H67N/F9 dsdt has the latest edits plus HDMI audio
3. In ML, Audio IDs changed simply because the old IDs no longer work. As Post #2 says, edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 for both onboard and HDMI audio.

Thank you for the quick response toleda... here is where I'm getting confused (from ML: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx):

"MultiBeast_5.1.1 and newer will edit your dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 1 when the Mountain Lion AppleHDA.kext is installed."

"1. With DSDT
1a. MultiBeast_5.1.1 and newer/edits installed dsdt.aml for layout_id 1
1b. edit dsdt/HDEF for Mountain Lion Audio/layout-id 1, 2 or 3 before you install the Mountain Lion Optimized AppleHDA. "

If MultiBeast 5.1.1 and newer edits dsdt/HDEF/layout to 1 when the Mountain Lion AppleHDA.kext is installed, and (1b) you edit dsdt/HDEF for Mountain Lion Audio/layout-id 3 BEFORE you install the Mountain Lion Optimized AppleHDA... what prevents the edits you first made to the dsdt/HDEF from getting overwritten back to layout-id 1 when the ML AppleHDA.kext is installed???

Sorry for being so thick...

Thank you for the quick response toleda... here is where I'm getting confused (from ML: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx):

"MultiBeast_5.1.1 and newer will edit your dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 1 when the Mountain Lion AppleHDA.kext is installed."
To be clear: Multibeast 5.1.1 and newer edits dsdt/Audio ID 889 (Lion/layout-id 379) to Audio ID: 1. If MB does not see dsdt/layout-id 379, it does not do any edit. In your case, Audio ID 389 (Lion/layout-id 185) was not edited; it remained as Lion Audio ID: 389. For the ML audio to work, the ML Audio ID must be 1, 2 or 3. Result, no audio.

Post #2 Quote:
"2b. Mountain Lion AppleHDA.kext
Audio IDs changed in ML. See Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx
ML HD3000 HDMI Audio ID:3

HD3000 HDMI Audio (GA-H67N-USB3-B3 and GA-H61N-USB3)
- Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00.
- MultiBeast 5.1.2 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC889"

I actually try to make things easy, in this case, only 2 steps are required for ML onboard and HDMI audio. Too much information got in the way.

To be clear: Multibeast 5.1.1 and newer edits dsdt/Audio ID 889 (Lion/layout-id 379) to Audio ID: 1. If MB does not see dsdt/layout-id 379, it does not do any edit. In your case, Audio ID 389 (Lion/layout-id 185) was not edited; it remained as Lion Audio ID: 389. For the ML audio to work, the ML Audio ID must be 1, 2 or 3. Result, no audio.

Post #2 Quote:
"2b. Mountain Lion AppleHDA.kext
Audio IDs changed in ML. See Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx
ML HD3000 HDMI Audio ID:3

HD3000 HDMI Audio (GA-H67N-USB3-B3 and GA-H61N-USB3)
- Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00.
- MultiBeast 5.1.2 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC889"

I actually try to make things easy, in this case, only 2 steps are required for ML onboard and HDMI audio. Too much information got in the way.

It's so simple, even Stephen Hawking could do it!

After great loss of sleep and 1-1/2 days of making numerous mistakes, the sticks I was trying to use as tools went together on me and I was able to knock some bananas out of the tree (channeling Richard Feynman).

After numerous hours of trying to figure out why edits I made to the F9 DSDT using DSDT SE would revert back to before I made them every time I moved the edited file out of DSDT SE's preferred working directory, I discovered that if I renamed the DSDT.aml to something else before I moved it, the edits would stick, even though the edits remained in the original working directory... now that burns my ass! I got so pissed at one point I threw the post-it pad with my notes on it against a table and it split into several pieces and it took me half an hour (including cursing) to find the piece that had my notes on it! Where are Curley and Larry when I need them!

Then, after I moved my edited DSDT.aml by sneakernet to my CustoMac Mini 2011 platform and installed it, I had audio, although some of the preferences were a little funny but worked, and no HDMI. I re-read some of my notes and finally realized that I'd edited in the wrong layout (1) instead of layout 3, and went back to editing again! For good measure, I edited a version with layout 2 as well, in case I ever need it. BTW, if anyone else needs to edit this, the offending code you need to change is on line 4893 of the DSDT for GA-H67N-USB3-B3 F9 BIOS.

After testing almost everything works as I expected it would. HDMI works great through my AV receiver, I didn't check the SPDIF output, but the volume control 'greys out' and is disabled as it should be so that's a promising sign. The green connector output on the rear shows up as 'Internal Speakers- Built-In' and switches properly to 'Headphones' when a headphone connector is plugged into the front panel jack (audio level still a little on the 'puny' side from my perspective), the rear black connector is working when 'Line Out' is selected. As for the inputs, I didn't have anything handy to test the second input labeled 'Line In', but I suppose it goes to the blue 'in' connector on the rear. The only oddity for me is the 'Internal microphone- Built-in'- it works when an electret mic is plugged into the rear pink 'mic' connector, but when the electret mic is plugged into the front panel, the designation changes from 'Internal microphone' to 'Line in'... the mic still works and has approximately the same sensitivity as when plugged into the rear pink 'mic' connector. All things considered, this is fantastic because a year ago a lot of this stuff wasn't working, thanks toleda!

So hopefully someone can chime in on which of the various ethernet and USB3 drivers work the best on the H67N-USB3-B3... please help if you can...

This was a good project to get me back up to speed after being off the board for about the past nine months due to a heavier-than-normal work schedule. And, I got to reference 2 physicists and 2 stooges in the same post- how often does one get an opportunity like that?!?!?

Hi,
I've a customac mini with GA-H61-USB3 mobo and Lion 10.7.5, I can't activate the headphones connector in the front of the case, only works the mobo's connector. Anybody knows how to activate it?

thanks

Edit: I've reinstalled 10.7.5 and ran multibeast with Patched AppleHDA ALC889 audio kext (before I had ALC8X HDA and Apple HDA Rollback) and the front connector works great.

Hi,

I have a motherboard GA-H67N-USB3-B3 with Core i7 and 8GB Ram. I had installed Mountain Lion but i need have Windows too. Then yesterday with an usb i try to installed dual boot(Windows 8 + M0untain Lion). The mountain lion installer is in usb. The first step (do the partitions) i didn't have a problems to acces from OSX Installer, but when i did the Windows 8 install and i tried to access to usb to install OSX the screen show the Apple and after five minutes it showed a small forbidden image. Anyone knows why?

Thank you very much

Just wanted to post this here. After a lot of messing around, the solution for HDMI audio for me in ML was very simple, thanks to toleda's help. I had gone through multiple steps, editing the dsdt with MacASL, etc, when for us it was as simple as downloading the dsdt in the first post, and editing one line as shown before (I still used MacASL, just searched for HDEF (2x), then copied over the one line.) Below are the instructions from toleda that worked and a link to the post. Hope it helps...

"The dsdt/HDEF edit is not correct. Download the HDMI F9 dsdt again. Edit one line:
From
0x85, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
To
0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
Compile and install.

Delete S/L/E/HDAEnabler1.kext, fix permissions and cache. Restart. Reply with a copy of IOReg."

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/94243-solved-patched-applehda-10-8-3-a.html#post596289

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back