Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might try installing ML this weekend. H61N, i3-2105, HD3000.

Guess no luck with mountain lion... :(

I'm running mountain lion on this build. There are a couple of kinks that I haven't worked out. Occasional graphic artifacts are back (horizontal lines for example). I'm also having issues with waking the machine. It sleeps fine, but once I wake it up I get no video and need to force the computer off.

Otherwise mountain lion runs great, the sleep issue is driving me crazy tough. I went from a fully functional lion build to having these problems after updating.

i3 3.1-2105
HD 3000 Graphics
H61N-USB3

CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - 10.7.3/10.7.4

The CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit is no longer needed in 10.7.3 and newer.

CustoMac Mini HD3000 HDMI Audio Requirements

1. DSDT - HD3000 HDMI audio with or without AMD/Nvidia HDMI audio plus 889 on board audio
5/30/12 - Updated H67N and H61N dsdts with HDMI audio edits
a. H67N-USB3-B3-HDMI-F9 (Audio ID: 389, use HDMI2 (under USB port) for HDMI audio):
View attachment 21848
b. H61N-USB3-B3-HDMI-F8 (Audio ID: 389):
View attachment 21849

2. AppleHDA.kext
5/16/12 - 889 Lion AppleHDA available in MultiBeast 4.4.0 and newer.
Select Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Patched AppleHDA/ALC889.
View attachment 21544

3. MultiBeast/System Definition: MacMini5,1

4. MultiBeast/Bootloader: Chimera 1.7 or newer

5. OS X: 10.7.3 or newer/64 bit

I had a fantastic CustomacMini (using the original guide), working near perfectly on 10.7.2 (including HDMI audio from TuneUpKit) with the exception of not recognizing USB ports after wake. After reading that F9 BIOS fixes this issue, I made some changes yesterday evening.

1. Updated to F9 BIOS > Restore Optimized Defaults > Set BIOS (HPET, ACHI, 64bit) based on original guide
2. Replaced DSDT in Extra with the one from Toleda's post above (H67N-USB3-B3-F9.aml, renamed to DSDT.aml)
3. Update to 10.7.4 using Software update
4. Reboot system - It booted just fine.
4. Run MultiBeast 4.6.1 and install just ALC889 as in guide
5. Reboot = No audio options listed
6. Ran MultiBeast again to repair permissions
7. Audio 'lines' (Line-Out, Line-In, Optical, etc) are back, 'Internal Speakers' gets me sound from the rear 'green' jack but no HDMI audio

Although this thread has become EXTREMELY long and varied, I have tried to read it any time I make adjustments. The above issues led me to start reading Toleda's thread on manually enabling HDMI for HD3000. However, I figured it was wise to compare Toleda's prefab DSDT (used above) using DSDTSE, with the recommended edits, and I noticed substantial differences which are over my head to explain.

Three questions before I start editing:
1. Why are there discrepancies? (Have the lines been made generic to work with the stock MultiBeast 4.6.x kext or do I have a truly different file that is not compatible with the AppleHDA kext from 4.6.1 or some how otherwise bungled by something I did or didn't do?)
2. Where did I go wrong here or what did I miss?
3. Is editing these files manually even on the right track to fixing this issue or have I completely missed something?

I really have tried to read and pay my due diligence and appreciate any advice.

But I neglected to try the most basic type of troubleshooting. This DSDT uses the HDMI port under the USB, not the one under the VGA (it's even written right in the instructions).

Everything works great. Thanks Toleda!

Since there are a few posts regarding Mountain Lion, I'm describing my experience so far here...

Background:
This is my first hackintosh, so please be nice and forgive any obvious errors ;-)

Preparations:
Since I'm impatient and didn't want to invest too much money, I went for the 2011 build...
Got a gigabyte ga-h61n-usb3 board (could not find the h67 anywhere to buy), and a i5-i2405s cpu and 8 GB RAM.
hen I installed linux and verified that the computer is OK (it booted ;-) ).
Ran a few hours of Memtest86.
Updated BIOS to F8 (h61nusb3.f8), loaded system defaults and used these settings (don't know the exact names of the menu items anymore):
  • SATA controller:AHCI
  • HPET Mode: 64Bit
  • Graphic shared memory: 480MB

ML installation:
Created an usb-stick with "UniBeast - Mountain Lion - 1.5.3" as descibed here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Booted the usb-stick (F12 at BIOS screen), got boot0, boot1:error (or similar).
Did some research and retried with another usb-stick. This time, the boot stopped at the grey screen with the apple logo.
Rebooted another time with GraphicsEnabler=No .
This time, I could install ML on the HD.
Rebooted with the usb-stick and selected the HD and also GraphicsEnabler=No

Post-Installation:
Downloaded DSDT-GA-H61N-USB3-F8.aml and put it on the desktop as DSDT.aml .
Ran MultiBeast 5.0.2 with the following options:
  • UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
  • Drivers & Bootloaders > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > With DSDT > ALC889Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
  • Customizations > System Definitions > Mac mini
  • Customizations > Themes > Chameleon 2.0 Default
  • Customizations > SSDT Options > Sandy Bridge Core i5Rebooted.

Now the following stuff worked:
  • Bootloader (booting without the usb-stick)
  • Sound (no HDMI, but through the analog port of the mainboard - see below)
  • Graphics/Monitor @FullHD through HDMI

Next, I tried to setup my D-Link Usb WLAN stick DWL-122G Rev C.
After trying the drivers provided by D-Link and RaLink unsuccessfully, I used this:(http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52187)
use kext helper and install RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext
copy the folder RaWLAPI.framework in "your HDD">Library>Frameworks
copy the Ralink app in the applications folder
reboot and enjoy your web browsing

Troubleshooting:
Then I noticed that I could not log into App Store (got "unknown error"). iTunes store worked fine.
I did some research and tried some stuff, and now it works.
This is my conclusion:
The gist is to have an adapter "ethernet" as "en0".
At the time, I did not have any ethernet adapter. Therefore I installed ethernet with this driver: (http://lnx2mac.blogspot.de/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html)
The driver seems to be included in MultiBeast, so I guess if I'd installed it before, I maybe had no trouble at all...
Then, I loosely followed the advide in this post here (without the EFI Studio step): http://www.osx86.net/10-7-lion/11315-app-store-your-device-computer-could-not-verified.html
Remove all network devices from System Preferences/Network.
Delete library>preferences>system configuration> NetworkInterfaces.plist file.
Reboot.

The next problem was the non-working audio through HDMI.
I noticed that I apparently had an old version of the DSDT (downloaded from the DSDT database).
In this thread, there's another one (in post #2, DSDT-GA-H61N-USB3-HDMI-F8.aml).
When I replaced /Extra/DSDT.aml with this version, the HDMI audio started working.

This is it so far - but I'm guessing that other problems will arise (for example, I haven't yet checked if the usb3-ports work, but on the HCL it says they don't)...

Anyway, I hope this may help some people :)

Hi all

My contrib on ML10.8.1 on this HW (my exact HW in my signature).

So far, ML is running, just automatic sleep not working (while working on Lion). Any idea ?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...3-ml-10-8-1-sleep-not-working.html#post430122

EDIT Sept 10th: auto sleep now working: see http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ake-0-flag-can-break-auto-sleep-10-8-1-a.html

ML now fully functional on my MacMini.
-----

I have almost complete the update of my macmini to ML10.8.1 but still one issue: automatic sleep is not working while it was running very well on Lion 10.7.3, but manual sleep/wake run well.

Here is was I did on my initial config: Lion 10.7.3 on a 2To disk in 3 partitions (1 system and one backup with Lion, 1 data):
1. I unplugged my 2To disk and put a test disk on same SATA port. Installed ML from Unibeast 1.5.3 with no issue.
2. Onced rebooted from USB Unibeast stick, used Multibeast ML 5.0.3 with DSDT file for F3 Bios (have not updated yet to F8 bios, not sure I need this), Realtek 2.0.6 for Ethernet, ALC889 with DSDT for sound and AppleRTC patch for CMOS reset.
3. Reboot was fine from my disk but Disk had orange icons on the desktop. I tried the OAHCIBlockStorageInjector but without success. To solve this, I then tried the following and this was succesfull: Orangeicon on HDD's (basically patches the DSDT file for Orange Disk Icons)
4. Upgraded to 10.8.1.

Being successfull (I did not notice at this time that sleep was nor working) , I wanted to install ML on my 2To: I have reconnected my 2To disk on first STA port and my test disk on the second SATA port, booted on Lion from my 2To disk, made a clone of my ML test disk to the second partition on my 2To with CCC and rebooted: ML was not booting anymore, except using -f -v flags.
Searching on the forum, I found this and this was working Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)
Basically, it remove the GraphicsEnabler and add "Default Partition", hd(0,3) in my case.

While in my case I could understand the need for Default Partition (as I moved my install from the first to the second partition, even if this was not necessary for Lion) , I am not sure to understand why I need to remove GE ?

Then I discovered that automatic sleep was not working, while working on the Lion partition. I even tried to boot again on my test disk but same result. (so it not linked to my copy on my 2To disk.

I am now with ML running mon my second partition with correct icons for my desktop disks but automatic sleep is not working.

Any suggestions ?

Hi,
I've got a CustoMac Mini running Lion perfectly (MOBO GA-H61N-USB3, SSD CRUCIAL M4 128 GB, 2X4 GB KINGSTON DDR3, 500 GB HDD 2,5", i3 2125) but I'm not happy with my power supply (one thermaltake SL-8220SFX included with the q element case) because it's really noisy. Do you know any quiet power supply micro atx form? I'm looking for about it for several days without succes.

thanks

Hey,

I just bought all the parts for the CustoMac Mini 2011 (everything just like the original, except the case which is now the alternate SilverStone SG05B for me). I bought the 120GB Corsair SSD any my question is now: Can I also install the Seagate HDD additionally? So I would have the Sony Optical Drive, the Corsair SSD and Segate HDD or is there not enough room/plugs?

The next question then would be if I could dual boot Windows 7 and OSX Lion from the SSD (and install the programs/apps on there) and use the HDD only as a storage for documents and media etc.? Could both OS'es share the HDD and the documents on it (with read and write, like with NTFS-3G for Lion or something)?

Is the Installation Guide still up to date? Do I have to use the same Multibeast settings or has something changed over the year? ;) As far as I understood the Tuneup Kit is no longer needed. So can I simply update to 10.7.4 via combo update and run Multibeast again or is there something more to it?

That's it ;) Sorry for all those questions, but I don't really know what the current best configuration is and I've read a lot in this thread but on 234 pages it's hard to filter the correct configurations for the GA-H67N MB. So can please someone clear things up for me :thumbup:
Oh, and I'd like to stay on Lion for now and maybe look into Mountain Lion sometime later ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I've got a CustoMac Mini running Lion perfectly (MOBO GA-H61N-USB3, SSD CRUCIAL M4 128 GB, 2X4 GB KINGSTON DDR3, 500 GB HDD 2,5", i3 2125) but I'm not happy with my power supply (one thermaltake SL-8220SFX included with the q element case) because it's really noisy. Do you know any quiet power supply micro atx form? I'm looking for about it for several days without succes.
thanks

I bought a Be-Quiet SFX 300w power: fits well in the Apex case, no more noise. The stock Intel fan is now the noisy one ...

Hi all

I have my macmini running well with ML 10.8.2 but have a doubt on the Power Led: when it sleep, the power led is off: should it not blink ? (so that I know the macmini is sleeping and is not off)

How behaves your's led ?

Thanks

Has anyone else had a hard time with the onboard ethernet for this build? (I'm using the H61 board)

I had it working the first time I had Lion installed. Then I had Ubuntu installed and ethernet worked fine. I just installed Lion 10.7.4 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to work. I've tried both kexts from MultiBeast 4.6.1. (the Lnx2mac and the Realtek Gigabit) I don't even get a link light.

I'm using a pseudo airport card and it works great for surfing the net but it stinks for streaming video to other machines in the house.

When looking at my system report, it used to show en0 as an ethernet adapter. Now that is gone.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back