Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have a question regarding the PowerColour HD 6850 Single Slot Edition. It was said earlier on in this post that this card works out of the box. But i was wondering whether this card works out of the box with the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3? And if so, is it a good buy? My problem is that my case only has one Graphics slot.

iBuildMac said:
Hi, i have a question regarding the PowerColour HD 6850 Single Slot Edition. It was said earlier on in this post that this card works out of the box. But i was wondering whether this card works out of the box with the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3? And if so, is it a good buy? My problem is that my case only has one Graphics slot.
In 10.7.3, with Chimera 1.9 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, the Pwoercolor HD 6850 works OOB, even on the H61N. The price is high and its the most powerful single slot available. The best news is the price was reduced 25% recently. It still expensive but the value equation is much better.

Thanks toleda for the reply :) One of the main reasons I was drawn to this card in the first place is because it features a mini display port which suits me well as i have an apple display, is there support for this? And it says this card requires a 500W PSU, will this run on my 350W system?

iBuildMac said:
Thanks toleda for the reply :) One of the main reasons I was drawn to this card in the first place is because it features a mini display port which suits me well as i have an apple display, is there support for this? And it says this card requires a 500W PSU, will this run on my 350W system?
Yes. Yes.

iBuildMac said:

If there's any question, if your 350w PSU is cheap, etc, take a look at this one... it's a very good quality PSU, much better than you usually get with a case, a SFX form factor, I've replaced a number of stock PSUs with this:

Silverstone ST45SF 450 watt PSU:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-ST45S ... =8-1-fkmr0

Thanks again to both :) I will certainly have a look at this PSU, see if i can find it on sale! ;)

Hi Guys,
Brand new to the scene, but have been at it for two days straight now. I've got my unibeast stick working. to boot the stick I need to use -x, but the install works, and using the stick I can get into osx.
I've got a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 with F7 BIOS, i3 2105, 8gb 1333mhz ddr3, no gpu(HD3000). So I used the DSDT from the second post during multibeast.

Here are the options I selected:
+UserDSDT Install w/ DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7.aml (place aml on desktop)
+System Utilities
-Drivers & Bootloaders
-Kexts & Enablers
-Disk
+3rdParty SATA
-Network
+Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 for 10.7
+Bootloaders
-Customization
-Boot Options
+Generate CPU States
+ Use KernelCache
-System Definitions
+Mac mini

The tricky part is, I built my unibeast stick with 10.7.0, and i'm having issues upgrading to 10.7.3.

I ran Multibeast without audio, and using the DSDT from page 2. it seems to let me in as long as i use -f. Not sure what the deal is with that.

Then I updated to 10.7.3, and when it told me to restart, I said not now. Then I did Multibeast again(without audio) and the AppleHDA.kext install using KextBeast. Those completed successfully, so I restarted. When I restarted, it told me that it was 'installing' and it took awhile. After this I was again left in a no boot situation. So I time machined again... Can anyone shed some light on how to correctly upgrade from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3?

Thanks again!

Edit:
After googling a lot, I found out that neither chameleon or chimera(naturally) support my 2048x1152 resolution monitors...

I hooked up the machine to my tv, and HDMI video works(both 10.7.0 and 10.7.3). I just can't boot after patching 10.7.3.
I get the weird error that seems impossible to diagnose.

I've shortened it a bit for what i think its the important stuff:

boot-uuid from /chosen: <longstring>
waiting on boot-uuid-media
Still waiting for root device

It'll repeat the "still waiting on root device part" every few minutes indefinitely. I've tried: -x -v -f -F GraphicsEnabler=No arch="i386" to no avail.

Unibeast will load as expected.

I tried switching my sata plugs around since that was a suggestion in another thread and no help there either.

Ugh. Totally stuck!

Edit:

SUCCESS!!!

Final questions:
I did a non DSDT install with Multibeast and it works! It seems the H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI DSDT doesn't work for me? Do my bios settings have to be *EXACTLY* what the guide says? Or can I set my memory speed explicitly(SPD doesn't seem to be doing it). Also, can I enable things like quickboot and disable full screen logo without it affecting the DSDT layout?

zoson said:
Final questions:
I did a non DSDT install with Multibeast and it works! It seems the H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI DSDT doesn't work for me? Do my bios settings have to be *EXACTLY* what the guide says? Or can I set my memory speed explicitly(SPD doesn't seem to be doing it). Also, can I enable things like quickboot and disable full screen logo without it affecting the DSDT layout?

DSDT should not be affected if you play with quickboot or bootlogo, but never change a running system ... I recommend attaching another drive with e-sata and run a carbon-copy-clone every once in a while...and don´t forget to repair permissions on the external drive as well. This helps a lot to be able to boot into the cloned-drive and repair any damage you may have done!

toleda said:
z0dac said:
I used exactly this DSDT (from the second post) - and everything works, except Sleep Mode. Shut Down is no issue, but the screen doesn't come back from sleep.
Known issue with Gigabyte Sandy Bridge motherboards. Two solutions:
1. Two clicks, one to wake the cpu and the second to wake the gpu. This is the method I use.
2. Use boot prompt: darkwake=0, MultiBeast/Kexts/Miscellaneous option. Result is one click to wake cpu and gpu.
Hi!

Thank you for your reply. However - it doesn't work. I tried updating the BIOS to F4, darkwake=0 in Chimera and double clicking when trying to wake it up. But the screen never comes back from sleep. As I mentioned I have the H61N-USB3, not the 67 one ... the 67 one is almost impossible to get in Europe.

Do you have any other ideas?

Greets
z0dac

z0dac said:
Thank you for your reply. However - it doesn't work. I tried updating the BIOS to F4, darkwake=0 in Chimera and double clicking when trying to wake it up. But the screen never comes back from sleep. As I mentioned I have the H61N-USB3, not the 67 one ... the 67 one is almost impossible to get in Europe.

Do you have any other ideas?
To minimize the number of reasons sleep is not working in your system, suggest a clean 10.7.3 install on a different partition. BIOS should be F3. Use the MultiBeast settings from the first post of this thread (don't select any audio settings or 3rd party SATA) and the dsdt from the second post. Test sleep and reply with findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back