Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacNewGuy said:
I just changed from the original APEX case to the SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450 and I am much happier except I did not realize that you can't use a full size DVD drive in this case. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they have used this Sony Optiarc drive and if it works with this build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827118064

Thanks,

MacNewGuy
Everything that Sony Optiarc is working. :)

i have a 8400gs sat in my draw and not being used
currently running with the hd3000
do you think its worth using the graphics card or just leave it?

EastCoast said:
I guess I'm not being clear, my apologies. When I start up my computer, I can't see anything, not even enough to get into the BIOS or anything. So I'm not sure how I could install SL without being able to see when I'm doing. To be clear, the problem I'm having isn't just when I try to boot into SL.

So it looks like I need to do something to restore my motherbord to the factory settings, but I'm not sure how to do this. The motherboard instructions say that I can reset the CMOS values, but I'm not sure if this will help.. do you think it's worth a shot?
Reset CMOS pins on mobo, use your book that came with the motherboard and see the proper way to reset the mobo back to factory bios settings.

The big issue is the onboard graphics and SL they dont work well together, Lion has support for HD3000 onboard so if you can limp it along with a Snow install and then get it to Lion for full support.

@ EastCoast

Reset your motherboard with the jumper on the pins.
look in your instructions or on google
if you haven't done this before.(basic thing you should know)

Do you get any beeps when you switch on or any activity lights?
do the fans spin?
are all cables and the ram seated well into board?
remove any pci cards and usb drives from pc

Plug dvi cable into port1 on your motherboard
OR GRAPHICS CARD IF YOU HAVE PUT ONE IN

you should see now the bios screen!
if not i would start to worry :(

As soon as you install snow leopard don't go the upgrade route.
That in my opinion is a pain in the backside.
Create a unibeast usb install drive first thing you do then install lion on a clean formatted hard drive.
easy! :) it will work no problem

mutron said:
http://www.misco.co.uk/product/173696/Gigabyte-GA-H67MA-USB3-B3-Version-3-Socket-LGA1155-Motherboard

thses guys have the h67m still in stock

s funny though, looks different to mine

this is a micro atx board not the
h67nusb3 mini itx board

mutron said:
colemanuk said:
mutron said:
http://www.misco.co.uk/product/173696/Gigabyte-GA-H67MA-USB3-B3-Version-3-Socket-LGA1155-Motherboard

thses guys have the h67m still in stock

s funny though, looks different to mine

this is a micro atx board not the
h67nusb3 mini itx board

ah cool....im a little bit dyslexic, i wonder if it would work?

Have a look in the dsdt database or do some research on it.
Beware its a different size than the mini itx so may not fit your case.
In the userbuids section people have had luck with Intel and zotac boards just research mate

Edit - I see you have a mobo already never mind

This is the board I built on yesterday. Updated to F4 BIOS using Q-flash and install was very easy, just needed npci=0x2000 and PCIRootID=1 as the boot flags when booting from the Unibeast stick.

colemanuk said:
@ EastCoast

Reset your motherboard with the jumper on the pins.
look in your instructions or on google
if you haven't done this before.(basic thing you should know)

Do you get any beeps when you switch on or any activity lights?
do the fans spin?
are all cables and the ram seated well into board?
remove any pci cards and usb drives from pc

Plug dvi cable into port1 on your motherboard
OR GRAPHICS CARD IF YOU HAVE PUT ONE IN

you should see now the bios screen!
if not i would start to worry :(

As soon as you install snow leopard don't go the upgrade route.
That in my opinion is a pain in the backside.
Create a unibeast usb install drive first thing you do then install lion on a clean formatted hard drive.
easy! :) it will work no problem

I tried all of those things and still got nothing. The lights on the board come on and the fan spins, but nothing on the monitor. I ended up ordering another motherboard last night. I had some leftover Amazon credit so what the hell. Does anyone know if I can send this thing back to Gigabyte (or someone else) to un-brick it? I wouldn't mind having another (functioning) one for another build. I suppose it could also be a bad power supply, I'm not really sure. I guess I'll find out later this week--oh the joys of learning through trial and error.

Thanks for the help though. I think I've figured out where I went wrong and how to avoid it during the next go 'round.

However, one thing that's starting to worry me is the functionality of the digital audio outputs (coax and optical) on this board (GA-H61N-USB3). I'm building this as a system dedicated entirely to my music collection and must be able to run an outboard DAC. The DAC has a usb input but it doesn't work all that well. I'd much rather send it an spdif signal. Has anyone have any success with this board and the digital outputs?

Try soundblaster live 24bit USB external soundcard
Works natively in lion if you have problems £20ish on eBay ;)

colemanuk said:
Try soundblaster live 24bit USB external soundcard
Works natively in lion if you have problems £20ish on eBay ;)

Good call. I actually already have that card. I always thought the analog outputs from it sounded like crap, but I forgot it had an spdif out. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back