Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, I'm really thinking to build this mac mini :)

just a question, if I well understood using HD3000 (no external video card) the vga out won't work, but I have a LCD monitor with VGA connection.

will it be possible to use the DVI out connector, then connect to it a DVI-VGA adapter, and use my LCD-VGA monitor anyway?

thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the stupid question! :(

moly82 said:
will it be possible to use the DVI out connector, then connect to it a DVI-VGA adapter, and use my LCD-VGA monitor anyway?

There is no DVI out on this motherboard, only two HDMI ports and a VGA port. I think if you use an HDMI to DVI adapter and then a DVI to VGA Adapter it might work, but you're probably better off getting the H61N version of this motherboard, it has DVI and all you would need is a DVI to VGA and that will let you use your LCD-VGA monitor.
By the way, the H61N doesn't have SATA 6 if that is important to you.

whitegerry said:
The app antipop will fix the pop sound issue during system idle, but cant fix the only loud poping noise at the startup making me crazy!! o_O

Thanks for the info. I have it installed so I hope it resolves the problem.

Connie Mac said:
whitegerry said:
The app antipop will fix the pop sound issue during system idle, but cant fix the only loud poping noise at the startup making me crazy!! o_O

Thanks for the info. I have it installed so I hope it resolves the problem.

whitegerry are you using voodoohda? if yes you can fix the problem with the noise on startup..

DeafZebra said:
moly82 said:

There is no DVI out on this motherboard, only two HDMI ports and a VGA port. I think if you use an HDMI to DVI adapter and then a DVI to VGA Adapter it might work, but you're probably better off getting the H61N version of this motherboard, it has DVI and all you would need is a DVI to VGA and that will let you use your LCD-VGA monitor.
By the way, the H61N doesn't have SATA 6 if that is important to you.

thanks a lot for the reply ;)

I don't need sata 6 probably, by the way if the "method" hdmi > dvi > vga works I think I will go for the h67n.. I may need hdmi in future who knows! :)

I just built this system without the Optical drive (Thanks Unibeast!) and with a MI-100 (Aywun - seems to be a rebrand of Apex) case, as the MI-008 is not available in Australia for a few more months.

Everything seems to be working great after the tuneup kit install. HDMI audio is working great and an old bluetooth dongle I had lying around is working perfectly. The only problem now is that the stock CPU cooler seems a little noisy. I'm looking at the possibility of getting a low profile aftermarket cooler.

Apart from that everything seems great! I'm going to use the system as a HTPC running XBMC, Transmission to automatically put my t*****ts in the media folders, and use the machine as a Time Machine Server as well.

Thanks for tonymac and MacMan and everyone else who has made this build possible, I very much appreciate it and will make a donation soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
striggell said:
I performed my first install on this setup (H67-USB3, Core I3 2105, HD103UJ 1TB HDD, Seasonic 300w PSU) last night with a fresh install of 10.7.2 using unibeast. It was so stupidly easy it wasn't funny - I've had more issues installing OSX on real Macs! Just used unibeast to install, rebooted, multibeast, Realtek network drivers from multibeast and DSDT from DSDT database. So far I haven't used it a great deal but i'm yet to see any of the artifacts that I've seen others talking about and I haven't tried audio yet.

Now if only I could install OSX this easily on my Asus Gene-Z!! (with native power management that is and without using a custom bios!!)

Ok a bit more of an update here. I had no sound, used multibeast for Realtek 8xx and HDA rollback and sound is now fine - I am only using the digital output (coax) and can confirm it works perfectly. Haven't tested any other ports. My hard drives are showing as external - need to do some more investigation as I wasn't expecting this one. Not sure if it's just cosmetic though as system profiler shows my Sata controller as an intel 6 series and shows the 2x6gbps and 2x3gbps ports.

I still haven't seen any of the artifacts everyone's talking about (I have 8 gb Ram so I've got 480mb allocated to the GPU, all voltage and clock settings for the GPU have been left at auto) after playing quite a bit of youtube HD video and hours of watching videos from my plex library.

Just putting this system together.
same mobo, i5-2500k, 8gb ripsaw mem.
First stumbling block were usb issues with the first usb flash drive I used. Using an external hdd now and getting further.
Initial boot is hanging at a line talking about ethernet address.
I'm running the f7 bios. Optimized default settings, achi 64bt hpet, and graphics mem maxed.

suggestions? or what am I missing?

Thanks

gschep said:
Just putting this system together.
same mobo, i5-2500k, 8gb ripsaw mem.
First stumbling block were usb issues with the first usb flash drive I used. Using an external hdd now and getting further.
Initial boot is hanging at a line talking about ethernet address.
I'm running the f7 bios. Optimized default settings, achi 64bt hpet, and graphics mem maxed.

suggestions? or what am I missing?

Thanks

What version of OSX are you trying to install? I'm assuming you're using unibeast too. I had zero netork out of the box with 10.7.2 and used the realtek drivers from Multibeast to get it going (my initial boot was fine though). Sounds like you have a kext that isn't quite right. An option could be disabling the on board ethernet through the bios and seeing if you can boot that way. then install correct drivers from multibeast (your call whether you use realtek or lynx2mac - I just stuck with realtek as I've had no issues with it as of yet), reboot and re-enable your on board ethernet and see if you have the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back