Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonymacx86 said:
adkardon said:
Are we supposed to install User DSDT to get to 10.6.6 and then do it again to get to 10.7, or will doing it once be enough.

Thanks!

You can use iBoot or rBoot to boot all the way until 10.7.1- then simply use MultiBeast 4.0.2. :thumbup:

Just to clarify... the guide says you shouldn't reboot after the 10.6.8 combo update without running multibeast - this is rendered OK by continuing to boot with iBoot?

sns26 said:
Thanks so much. I've bought precisely this system and am working on it now. One question: the guide says to update to 10.6.6, but then notes that Sandy Bridge systems need to use UpdateHelper to get to 10.6.8. Is that note just an aside? Is there any reason at all to go past 10.6.6?

And just a random note: my VGA port works, at least in 10.6.0, which is as far as I've gotten.

You can download and install the Lion app on 10.6.6- as the Mac App Store is in that version. I've always gone to 10.6.8 with UpdateHelper, but doing 10.6.6 could be a safer option.

Yes- VGA may "work" for basic safe output- but no QE/CI hardware acceleration and 1024x resolution only.

tonymacx86 said:
You can download and install the Lion app on 10.6.6- as the Mac App Store is in that version. I've always gone to 10.6.8 with UpdateHelper, but doing 10.6.6 could be a safer option.

Is access to the App Store the only reason to update to 10.6.6? If so, can I skip the Snow Leopard updates entirely if I've already downloaded the Lion app to another computer and can copy InstallESD.dmg to the new machine?

OK, it looks like I'm about to pick up the bits to make a Core i5 version. I've already got an existing 'real' pre-unibody Macbook Pro. So can I use that to create a bootable USB flash drive using xMove and the app store download so I can clean install Lion on my Hackintosh? From what I'd read so far the answer would be yes. If not, it would appear I don't understand this as well as I thought... :?

ShadowTD said:
OK, it looks like I'm about to pick up the bits to make a Core i5 version. I've already got an existing 'real' pre-unibody Macbook Pro. So can I use that to create a bootable USB flash drive using xMove and the app store download so I can clean install Lion on my Hackintosh? From what I'd read so far the answer would be yes. If not, it would appear I don't understand this as well as I thought... :?

I've been doing this build/install today and about to call it quits (its 12:30 in the morning in Switzerland) I went ahead and followed tonymac's instructions to get SL installed and so far so good. I'm actually making a MacNAS instead of a MacMini... Fractal Designs Array case, i5 2500k and a wicked fast but small SSD. Once I get it stable on Lion I'll be dropping in a hardware RAID card and a half dozen drives.

I'll let you know if I run into any funnies.

Just want to clarify..

What exactly should I do,

Update to 10.6.6 THEN run multibeast and restart and then AFTER purchase Lion from App Store...

OR:

Purchase Lion after I update to 10.6.6 but BEFORE multibeast AND restart.

Thanks ahead!! :thumbup:

Hey!
After booting into SL and installing the 10.6.6 update, can I simply reboot into iboot again to continue on to Lion, or do I HAVE to run multibeast right after the update? I ask this because I am curious if I can go through the installations without using Multibeast until I reach 10.7.1

Thanks!

adkardon said:
Hey!
After booting into SL and installing the 10.6.6 update, can I simply reboot into iboot again to continue on to Lion, or do I HAVE to run multibeast right after the update? I ask this because I am curious if I can go through the installations without using Multibeast until I reach 10.7.1

Thanks!

That's the idea- boot with iBoot for Snow Leopard Retail Install. Boot with rBoot for xMove/Lion. Then run MultiBeast after all is updated and upgraded. Then boot from hard drive.

Hello!

When installing 10.7, should I create the 8GB xMove partition and then boot from rboot and install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back