Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Joined
Sep 22, 2011
Messages
3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi All,

I've just purchased almost all the parts necessary for this build to replace my 2006 MacMini - bar an Optical Drive.

Can anyone recommend the best way to install without an optical drive? Or can I use my external USB CD Drive for the install?

I really don't want to have to buy a Drive that I really don't plan on using at all. As a HTPC I would never use it as I have a PS3 for DVD and Bluray playback.

I've looked over the forums but haven't found a clear answer on this.

Thanks for helping out a hackintosh noob.

Eddie
 
Joined
Sep 29, 2011
Messages
1
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hey I want to make this build and I know nothing about the hackintosh process. Where do i want to start reading?
 
Joined
Sep 27, 2011
Messages
10
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
[PROBLEM SOLVED]Hey guys this is my first hackintosh build and I'm stuck at a dead end. I used all the components recommend in the build and had no problem installing SL and upgrading to 10.6.8 after using the updatehelper. I am now trying to update to Lion but I don't have any internet access and thus can't connect to the app store to get it. I ran multibeast with the userDSDT install, system utilities, and tried both Lnx2Mac and the Realtek driver but still no internet. The best I can get right now is where it recognizes the ethernet under network settings but it says the cable is unplugged. I know this is not the case because the cable works fine with my windows PC and when i plug it into the back of this hackintosh the led's on the ethernet port light up and show activity. I checked the bios settings and used the Smart LAN bios utility to make sure that it sees a connection which it does. I am completely stumped and don't know where to go from here. I am thinking I may have messed something up by installing both drivers and might have to format and reinstall from scratch. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.
 
Joined
Sep 27, 2011
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Decided to do a clean Lion install. Put the SATA DVD-ROM back in and booted the xMove partition with rBoot. Install took about 7 minutes (yay SSD!) and rebooted. Ran multibeast, booted from SSD and everything worked save ethernet (status not determined) and audio (present in system profiler but nothing in sound).

Ran multibeast selecting only ethernet, rebooted, that worked.

Ran multibeast, selected audio only (x2), rebooted, now that works for the first time. Its like the mutlibeast first run only successfully installs the bootloader the first time - anything else you select fails on that first run.

Don't care about sleep or HDMI audio so not even going to go there. Will let this cook through the day and see if grfx remains stable.

EDIT: Seems stable. Put the screws in the top and boxed it up to take home.
 
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
21
Motherboard
GA-H61N-USB3
CPU
i3-3225
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
hi everybody,

i am thinking about buying these things:

-CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
-RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
-Case + Power Supply Unit: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU
-Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
-Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA 6Gb/s

building a hackintosh using this hardware should work without any problems, right?
i have got running mac osx in virtualbox but this is not a great solution.

so my questions:
-do i need anything further than these things i mentioned above?
-i do not need a hard drive with 1 tb, is it possible to use a smaller one? are there special facts for hard drives which work?
-is it difficult to bring all the things together? cpu, motherboard, ram ...
i have never done something before.
-on this hackintosh all lion updates will run, right?

thank you very much guys

gstarraw96 from switzerland
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
3,546
Motherboard
ASUS P5Q
CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
gstarraw96 said:
hi everybody,

i am thinking about buying these things:

-CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
-RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
-Case + Power Supply Unit: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU
-Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
-Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA 6Gb/s

building a hackintosh using this hardware should work without any problems, right?
i have got running mac osx in virtualbox but this is not a great solution.

so my questions:
-do i need anything further than these things i mentioned above?
-i do not need a hard drive with 1 tb, is it possible to use a smaller one? are there special facts for hard drives which work?
-is it difficult to bring all the things together? cpu, motherboard, ram ...
i have never done something before.
-on this hackintosh all lion updates will run, right?

thank you very much guys

gstarraw96 from switzerland

Only requirements for the HDD, that should be SATA.
Difficulity... for a newbee yes, for someone who knows what is this, not. :D
Updates... not always hassle free. Exp: the 10.6.8 Update(PCI Root Configuration begin messages and etc...)
 
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
21
Motherboard
GA-H61N-USB3
CPU
i3-3225
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Mate94 said:
gstarraw96 said:
hi everybody,

i am thinking about buying these things:

-CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
-RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
-Case + Power Supply Unit: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU
-Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
-Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA 6Gb/s

building a hackintosh using this hardware should work without any problems, right?
i have got running mac osx in virtualbox but this is not a great solution.

so my questions:
-do i need anything further than these things i mentioned above?
-i do not need a hard drive with 1 tb, is it possible to use a smaller one? are there special facts for hard drives which work?
-is it difficult to bring all the things together? cpu, motherboard, ram ...
i have never done something before.
-on this hackintosh all lion updates will run, right?

thank you very much guys

gstarraw96 from switzerland

Only requirements for the HDD, that should be SATA.
Difficulity... for a newbee yes, for someone who knows what is this, not. :D
Updates... not always hassle free. Exp: the 10.6.8 Update(PCI Root Configuration begin messages and etc...)

i run mac osx successful in virtualbox, i thing the software thing is not the problem. updates were not easy in virtualbox too.
the only thing i am not sure is the hardware thing. i have never build a pc. is it only plug one thing into another ?

thank you very much for that fast reply

gstarraw96
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
3,546
Motherboard
ASUS P5Q
CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
gstarraw96 said:
Mate94 said:
gstarraw96 said:
hi everybody,

i am thinking about buying these things:

-CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
-RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
-Case + Power Supply Unit: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU
-Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
-Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA 6Gb/s

building a hackintosh using this hardware should work without any problems, right?
i have got running mac osx in virtualbox but this is not a great solution.

so my questions:
-do i need anything further than these things i mentioned above?
-i do not need a hard drive with 1 tb, is it possible to use a smaller one? are there special facts for hard drives which work?
-is it difficult to bring all the things together? cpu, motherboard, ram ...
i have never done something before.
-on this hackintosh all lion updates will run, right?

thank you very much guys

gstarraw96 from switzerland

Only requirements for the HDD, that should be SATA.
Difficulity... for a newbee yes, for someone who knows what is this, not. :D
Updates... not always hassle free. Exp: the 10.6.8 Update(PCI Root Configuration begin messages and etc...)

i run mac osx successful in virtualbox, i thing the software thing is not the problem. updates were not easy in virtualbox too.
the only thing i am not sure is the hardware thing. i have never build a pc. is it only plug one thing into another ?

thank you very much for that fast reply

gstarraw96

Ahh... I see. You worried about the assembly. :lol: It's better to request the PC shop to assembly it.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2011
Messages
17
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Do you have to run Multibeast 3.x after updating to 10.6.x? If I just install the update and boot back into iboot would that work. I am trying not to install any drivers until I get my system into Lion. I would need to download Lion after getting access to the app store, if I dont have ethernet could i just install the new Lnx2mac .pkg and go form there?

Thanks!!
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1
Motherboard
Cutomac 2011 (iMac 12,2)
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey guys. I've been trying to fix this problem for days. I'm doing a clean install of 10.7.0 from USB via these directions: http://themacmob.com/how-to-create-a-bo ... usb-drive/

Everything installs fine, but at login I get a flickering of the cursor. But I can type my password and log in no problem.

THEN, after I follow Tony's instructions and update to 10.7.1, when I get to login, I'll type my password, but won't see any characters being input in the type box. It basically hangs for about 60 secs, then takes my password and logs in automatically.

Anyone else getting anything like this?
 
Top