Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
dk2-product.jpg

Oculus VR's current development kit, Development Kit 2, is compatible not only with Windows and Ubuntu but also OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and higher. According to Oculus's FAQ for the DK2:

Minimum Requirements

A computer running a Windows 7 or Windows 8, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended Specifications
A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

I decided to test this with an older spare machine that I've been using with my 50" plasma television:

GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
i5 3570
GeForce GT 640
OS X 10.10.1 using the latest Chimera and standard Multibeast choices for this hardware.

IMG_1137.jpg
In addition to the headset itself, the DK2 also comes with Lenses, Cloth (for cleaning), Positional Tracker (Camera), Positional Tracker USB cable, Positional tracker sync cable, DVI to HDMI adapter, and Power adapters for the US, UK, AU, and EU. It's fairly simple to hook up all of the cables in the correct way as long as you follow the instructions that also ship with the kit.

Because the GT 640 I had in the machine only has two DVI ports that are side-by-side, this makes it very hard to connect two DVI connectors unless they're both narrow. Ultimately I just removed the card and used Integrated Graphics instead, and connected the TV with an adapter and plugged the DK2 into the HDMI port. While this isn't ideal for playing 3D games in 1080p at 75fps, it's good enough to test with.

Once you've got everything connected, the next step is to download and install the newest runtime and SDK for OS X.

Downloads for the current 0.4.4 BETA

Once installed, navigate through the SDK folders and run the config utility to set up a profile for yourself with the device. You can specify your height and more to provide an even more realistic experience with the Oculus.

Screen-Shot-2014-12-26-at-12.46.35-PM.png

OS X treats the Oculus like a second mirrored monitor, and the last thing I needed to do before trying it out was rotate the orientation of the Oculus. For some reason it was sideways, so I changed the orientation to 90 degrees to resolve that.

The SDK comes with the Unity demo, and since I kept the TV hooked up at the same time you can actually see the image of both eye screens on the TV while playing.

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 12.50.03 PM.jpg

When they say it's immersive, they aren't kidding. More than once I found myself wanting to reach and grab something that was in the game, only to realize I can't actually do that (yet). In addition to the Tuscany demo, there are many, many other games made specifically for the Occulus DK2 you can try:

Oculus DK2 OS X specific demos

Or, if you want to play existing games, you can check out Oculus's forum for confirmed titles:

Oculus VR Forum

And one more for the Star Trek fans out there:

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 4.12.14 PM.jpg

Last edited:
WOW. I have been looking at purchasing one of these myself. Have you tried watching movies on it? 2D or 3D?

Haven't tried anything like that with it yet. Using it with IGP is a little limiting, but I think on a powerful graphics card it'd pretty much blow your mind. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back