Contribute
Register

October 18th 2021 Apple Event: M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Mac mini. Maybe next month ? They put everything into these MBPs. Can't believe they start at 32 GB of ram. Didn't see that coming.

EDIT: it was too good to be true. They do start at 16GB for the base model. :(

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Looks like Apple hasn't changed. $400 to upgrade to 32GB. Still paying the Apple tax. Boohoo !!

Screen Shot 19.jpg

No lower memory option? Then, that may mean that the SoC is so tightly optimised that having less memory would cause issue to feed both the CPU and GPU cores. M1 PRO = 32 GB MI MAX = 64 GB No more, no less.
Edit: On apple.fr, 16 GB RAM extensible to 32 (Pro, Max) or 64 (Max). But no price yet.
And also SoC options: M1 Pro with 10/14 or 10/16, M1 Max with 10/24 or 10/32 (CPU/GPU). Looks like Apple is is hitting yield issues and has partially defective chips to recycle. Apple is human, after all. ;)

I'll take the absence of a Mac mini as a possible hope that something slightly different is coming for the desktop.

Last edited:
The base prices are misleading. They are for 8-core CPU and 14-core GPU instead of 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU. But still more than enough.

Yes 500$ upgrade to 32 GB ( Standard price is 100$.
Any upgrade SSD - cosmic prices.
Not upgradable at all You can decide now that You need smaller or larger SSD.
After two years throw it in the trash and buy another one .
Very expensive machine.

October 25 confirmed

Just ordered a 14" space gray with M1 Max, but 32GB memory. Apple Store app on iPhone is going crazy right now.
Can I ask what the sticker price is for that config ?

Just ordered a 14" space gray with M1 Max, but 32GB memory. Apple Store app on iPhone is going crazy right now.
I got a space grey 14" m1 max, 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB. 24-core GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back