Contribute
Register

October 18th 2021 Apple Event: M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 mini is a living room computer. A toy that I use for streaming, music, browsing the net.
well the Mac Mini M1 is not a toy,i use my M1 with 16 ram for video editing,After Effects and Photoshop,M1 work awesome,i can export a Final Cut 3 hours event in 30 minutes

well the Mac Mini M1 is not a toy,i use my M1 with 16 ram for video editing,After Effects and Photoshop,M1 work awesome,i can export a Final Cut 3 hours event in 30 minutes
Compared to the specs of the hack you have in you're info I'm sure it is awesome. I just find the machine underwhelming even compared to my old mini.

Compared to the specs of the hack you have in you're info I'm sure it is awesome. I just find the machine underwhelming even compared to my old mini.
well that is not my main hack,you simple cant compare the old mac mini to the mac m1,the mac m1 kills the old mac mini,i love my mac mini m1.

i use my M1 with 16 ram for video editing,After Effects and Photoshop,M1 work awesome,i can export a Final Cut 3 hours event in 30 minutes
Will you upgrade to the M1X mini once it comes out ? The 32GB version ?

Will be interested to hear about the performance of that once it's up for sale.
Most audio pros will be going for that once they can buy one. Checks all the boxes, quiet, efficient, fast with it's Thunderbolt ports and capable of handling a lot of virtual instruments. Hope they give them a lot more I/O than the first M1s got.

when i change the board soon and put in a i9 10850K ill be putting in a pair of 970 evo plus
I have read that the 970 Pro is a better choice than the 970 EVO for speed in transferring files larger than 22 GB, but have never seen direct comparisons.

Here's the "render by Ian" of the next iteration of Mac mini. 4 TH3/USB4 ports would be great. MagSafe is another welcome addition. Will they get HDMI 2.1 to support higher refresh rate 4K monitors for gaming ?

mac-mini-render-ports.jpg

"The new SoC may feature “eight high-performance cores and two energy-efficient cores for a total of 10.” The current M1 chip in the Mac mini features four high-performance cores and four energy-efficient cores. With such power, this new machine will likely replace the 3.0GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 model.

The Mac mini’s GPU is almost certain to be integrated into the system on a chip, but it will reportedly be much more powerful than the current Mac mini’s 8-core GPU. Gurman reports that the new chip will come “in either 16 or 32 graphics core variations.”

The M1 in the Mac mini has just two RAM configurations—8GB and 16GB—while the Intel version maxes out at 64GB. Gurman says the new chips will also include up to 64GB of memory. Storage is likely to be the same, starting at 256GB and topping out at 2TB." Michael Simon -- MacWorld

I think that it's more likely the base storage NVMe will increase to 512GB and at the top end offer either 4TB or 8TB of storage instead of 2.

I tend to doubt that Apple will offer a 64GB version of their new mini. 64GB of ram and up to 128GB will probably only come as an option with the Apple Silicon Mac Pro. If Apple makes the next Mac mini too good, there would be no reason to buy an Apple Silicon Mac Pro. Since Apple is always stingy with the base amount of ram they offer, I'd guess the next Mac Pro, ASi version, will come with 32GB of ram standard and go up to 128GB maximum.

There are few Mac users that would even need 128GB when using an Intel Based Mac. 32GB is the "sweet spot" for ram in terms of price and performance. The following video shows ram usage in Intel Macs from 2020.

Max from MaxTech YT channel claimed that M1 Macs wouldn't benefit from a 32GB ram option. I think that the M1X Macs will be able to use more than 16GB. Again, it looks like going with 32GB in an M1X MBP or mini will be the optimal amount for most Mac owners that run Pro software to get work done. Why give Apple more of your money than you need to ?

Last edited:
We'll know tomorrow evening. I just hope that an updated Mac mini will come with more sensible spacing between ports than the render. ;)

As for an Apple Silicon Mac Pro, this is certainly not for now but when it comes I expect it will feature RAM sockets. The current Mac Pro can take up to 1.5 TB (an updated version with Ice Lake Xeon W-3300 would push that to 2 TB) and there certainly are some professionals out there who know how to put such amounts of RAM to good use.

I expect it will feature RAM sockets.
It's certainly possible that they would do this on the new ASi Mac Pro. I don't think it will happen in the 2022 version. Remember they are still selling the Intel Xeon version for those that need over 1TB of ram. Those are for the scientists crunching numbers and those running multiple VMs that use large amounts of ram. The ASi MP should cost a lot less and target Pro users and Prosumers. Those that could afford a Mac Pro classic back in the glory days of first gen Intel Mac Pros. For these kinds of MP users the astronomical price of 512GB or 1TB or more of ram just isn't an option.

Here's an example, a 512 GB kit of server ram goes for around $3000. A 1TB kit sells for over $9000. Apple's prices for ram are a lot higher than this. One TB of MP compatible ram would be over 10 grand ! Remember too that the ram in M1 Macs is 8 channel. Server ram is currently 4 channel.

They may not give you the option to upgrade ram yourself in the 2022 MP. It could be soldered on the logic board if a buyer needs more than that within the SoC. That has been Apple's direction lately. The 24" early 2020 iMac took away any option for ram upgrades when the 27" models of years past let you easily upgrade it yourself.

So most of the target market for the ASi Mac Pro could never afford to buy the MP and that much ram anyway. My guess is that they'll try to hit the $2999 price for the base model ASi Mac Pro. For the majority of Pro users 64-128GB of ram would be plenty in their Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back