Contribute
Register

Occasional Kernel Panic after wake (deadbeef?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Toshiba Satelite s955 Mobile Intel HM76 Express
CPU
Intel Core i5 3337U 1.8Ghz (Turbo 2.7Ghz)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512mb 1366 x 768
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, back when I was messing with kexts and installing/uninstalling kexts in OS X 10.9.4, I would often get 1 or 2 kernel panics on a normal boot from doing that. Now it's been a long time since I've gotten a kernel panic on a normal boot which makes me happy but now I'm starting so see a lot of kernel panics when waking from sleep and they usually start with (CPU x) (where X is a number) and say "deadbeef" in them.:confused: Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've included a picture of the most recent deadbeef kernel panic.

20140820_132614.jpg

Hi everyone, back when I was messing with kexts and installing/uninstalling kexts in OS X 10.9.4, I would often get 1 or 2 kernel panics on a normal boot from doing that. Now it's been a long time since I've gotten a kernel panic on a normal boot which makes me happy but now I'm starting so see a lot of kernel panics when waking from sleep and they usually start with (CPU x) (where X is a number) and say "deadbeef" in them.:confused: Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've included a picture of the most recent deadbeef kernel panic.

View attachment 102173

It means you have a buggy kext installed.

How can I properly troubleshoot this so I can pinpoint exactly what kext is causing this?

How can I properly troubleshoot this so I can pinpoint exactly what kext is causing this?

Fresh install. Carefully install kexts/etc one at a time...

Or the opposite way... eliminate drivers one at a time.

Basically, process of elimination.

Darn... Well I just eliminated my kext that I had for my Ethernet that wouldn't work so I'll start with that for now and see how it goes. I also bought a D-Link wireless USB adapter, should I try removing the kext for that as well when it comes time?

Darn... Well I just eliminated my kext that I had for my Ethernet that wouldn't work so I'll start with that for now and see how it goes. I also bought a D-Link wireless USB adapter, should I try removing the kext for that as well when it comes time?

It could be anything. In kernel address space, kexts are not protected from one another, and they have very high privileges. It means poorly written/buggy kexts can cause serious problems that are difficult to diagnose and narrow down.

I'm starting to get kernel panics galore now when I do normal boots. I'm getting fed up and I'm thinking I have no other option but to just re install my Hackintosh from the beginning. Do you have any suggestions besides installing 1 kext at a time for a fresh install?

20140820_132614.jpg20140820_140747.jpg20140820_142038.jpg

I'm starting to get kernel panics galore now when I do normal boots. I'm getting fed up and I'm thinking I have no other option but to just re install my Hackintosh from the beginning. Do you have any suggestions besides installing 1 kext at a time?

You should always move slowly and carefully...

I'm going to re do this whole system and use my post to serve as a guide, I will install 1 kext at a time and perform multiple boots to see what goes on. I also attached images of the kernel panics if you're interested. To be honest I remember getting all these issues right after I installed power management on my hackintosh.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to re do this whole system and use my post to serve as a guide, I will install 1 kext at a time and perform multiple boots to see what goes on. I also attached images of the kernel panics if you're interested. To be honest I remember getting all these issues right after I installed power management on my hackintosh.

I would place likely blame on your USB WiFi drivers more than anything. They are notoriously unstable. If you can, it is best to replace your onboard WiFi with something natively compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back