Contribute
Register

OC Haswell - Big Sur sleep issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your StarTech USB PCIe card have the option to connect additional power (SATA or 4-Pin), or is it relying on the max 75W power that can be served by the PCIe slot?

What else have you connected to the PCIe card, along side the BT connector?

The BT connector will always be best served when connected directly to the Motherboard. This also allows BT Keyboard & mouse to work in the Bios. If it is connected via a secondary/daughter card such as your StarTech card, the daughter card needs to be enabled by the BIOS for any devices connected to function. Normally the daughter card only becomes fully active when the necessary drivers have been injected by the OS.

If you need to connect more internal USB devices than you have motherboard USB headers, then you need to look at using one of these USB header splitter devices, which you can purchase from many online retailers.

USB2 Header 1 to 2 splitter.jpg
USB Motherboard Header splitter, providing up-to ports from a single header port.

USB2 Header 1 to 4 splitter.jpg
This splitter provides up-to eight ports from a single header.

I use a number of these header splitters in my systems and they work just fine for USB2 ports on the front of the case as well as USB2 card readers and ports.

But I always keep the BT connected to a motherboard header.

@Edhawk
It has a 4-pin but I didn't have it connected because I'm not plugging anything else into the USB2 card. I figured 75W was enough for the YUOBO Broadcom card.

You have the same board that I do, you're not having issues coming back from sleep? Whenever I leave it on and come back to it, it shows the login screen and that the computer restarted because of a problem. I've saved some of the logs, I will attach them here.

This started because when I was having issues coming back from sleep. Started doing some research and heard a lot of issues coming back from sleep on these boards. I posted in this forum and @jaymonkey said he had a similar issue and it was caused by his BT/Wifi Broadcom card. He recommended disconnecting the BT cable and just using the wifi to see how that works. I had less problems coming back from sleep with this solution; if before it did it every time it went to sleep, I would say this did it maybe once every 10 times it went to sleep. I followed his solution on how to fix the problem, but maybe that startech card isn't getting enough power like you mentioned. I'm beginning to think it might just be easier to get a Mac-compatible bluetooth adapter...

Attachments

• Untitled.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
No I don't have any issues with Sleep/Wake. My system wakes from sleep with the press of the mouse or double tap of a keyboard button.

Here is a copy of my OC EFI folder, for my iMac2 system shown in my signature below. Yes it is a very close match to your system. I have a Quadro K4200 you are using a GTX 780 Ti graphics card, which I have in another Haswell system.

As you will see when you look through the sub-folders in the /EFI/OC folder I use a lot of custom SSDT's to fix issues. These SSDT's have been accumulated over a number of years and work for me.
  • SSDT-USB-Shutdown-Fix.aml and SSDT-EHxx-Off.aml were recommended by @VioletDragon many years ago for a very similar Z97 system.
  • The SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-HPET.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml were generated using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. So they are not the Generic SSDT's found alongside the OpenCore guides.
The USBPorts.kext is setup for my system.
  • You can use it to see if it works for your setup but there will probably be differences.
  • Each port has a comment against it stating which physical port it relates to on the I/O plate, case front, internal header etc.
  • I use a Fractal Design R3 to contain this system. It has 2 x USB2 and 1 x USB3 front case ports. It has an Akasa USB2 card reader and USB2 port in the front of the case. These are connected to a single USB2 Header using a USB2 header port splitter.
  • The Other motherboard USB2 header connects my Broadcom Bluetooth.
I can't recall which release of OC I am using on the iMac2 system, probably not the latest, as I don't use that system often. It is the backup to my main iMac1 system.

Attachments

• EFI-iMac2.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 53
@TheQbanMamba,

Generally there is no need to map all the USB ports on a PCIe USB card as they have their own XHCI controller and will not count to the 15 port limit. So I did not map them on the add in card except for the one port that the BT is connected to which I set to type Internal (0xFF) which is what MacOS is expecting.

Hubs and 3rd party USB controllers on X97 motherboards should also be set to a type of internal (0xFF).

I found that the USB ports connected to the motherboard Hubs where extremely problematic on my ASRock Z97 Mobo due to the weird way ASRock have implemented them ... as a result some of the motherboard USB ports routed through the internal hubs did not work after sleep/wake except the ports that had USB devices already plugged in to them when cold booting or those ports that did not go through the internal hubs.

My only goal was to get the BT working with sleep/wake which for me was solved by connecting the BT to the PCIe USB card and I by think using a USB2 only card it simplified things a bit. This is the only system that I've built that has had any sort of issue with the BT and sleep/wake and has required such extreme measures to get working.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I've tried everything that was recommended by everyone and the one thing that has seemingly worked (for now) is removing the BT cable and using the ASUS BT400 USB dongle. I got it for about $8 like new on Amazon and I haven't had any issues coming back from sleep for the past few days. Handoff and AirDrop working well.

@Edhawk I dropped the non-specific SSDTs you provided in the proper place earlier, but since they have been there while the BT400 has been working, I'm sticking with the old adage of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back