Intel Wildcat Point-LP
CPU
Core M-5Y10c [ Broadwell ]
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have my config.plist set to MacBook 8,1 as that's what's recommended for Broadwell and during BigSur install it flashed firmware for said MacBook which can be found in APPLE's EFI folder and is attached below.
Now the laptop can only be used on AC, when disconnected it instantly powers off. Battery is detected but readouts are wonky and oscillate between 85-89%. It says that its charging [the led on the laptop is orange which indicates charging] and after few hours switches to charged [white led]

My battery is definitely fine, tried to disconnect it, didn't help.

Any info about if something can be done about that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• APPLE.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 64
It is extremely unlikely that any Apple firmware was applied to your laptop.
There are safeguards in place to ensure that firmware is not applied to the wrong model both on the Apple side and the manufacturer of your laptop.

Your laptop does not have an Apple EFI controller to update.

It is completely normal for a firmware file to appear in the /EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE folder on the EFI Partition, it does not mean that it has been applied.

Last edited:
This is slightly reassuring, is there any way to definitely check that it wasn't applied?
Battery health before the update was marked as good in both Linux and macOS [Catalina]
There also threads popping up from the owners of original MacBooks with batteries suddenly failing after the update [(to BigSur) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-sur-dead-macbook-pro-battery.2277651/
]

Is this normal? I remember half of this being red and out of date under Catalina:
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.23.20 PM.png

Also, the info from Coconut battery looks weird and is out of sync with system value:

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.16.42 PM.png

Finally, info from Hacktool, is all of that faked by OpenCore? [firmware version from config.plist is supossed to be 425.0]
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.26.58 PM.png

Ok. I'm ordering a new battery then, should arrive next week.
Also, it literally happened during the update, the laptop was on a fully charged battery and shut itself down during, which is extremely suspicious to me [possibly bizarre coincidence]

Also, it literally happened during the update, the laptop was on a fully charged battery and shut itself down during, which is extremely suspicious to me
Make sure that you have cleared NVRAM.

Their 'power reset' just means powering down completely, because those laptops go into standby instead. I’ve already done more than that because I've physically detached the battery and cleared cmos
Also, in current state it 'power resets' itself just by disconnecting the charger, before it would switch to battery or just go into standby

What really is raising my suspicions is the fact that charge reporting is utterly broken and is stuck around 85% now, which seems to correspond to capping changes introduced with BigSur for battery health
[it's broken under Linux and Windows too, on the same machine, just to be clear]

Last edited:
It behaves really oddly, only charges fully/stops charging when it's suspended or powered down. And after being powered down for some time it'll always show 86% charged, why that effin arbitrary number?
There are 14 pages of similar battery issues due to BS upgrade at Apple's forum.
I hope that the new battery will fix this, but I have my doubts, I blame the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back