Aorus 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,
any new insights related to multiboot ?
I have been fighting with multiboot from OC (between macOS 11.1 and Windows 10) for a couple of days now.... reading several posts/threads/guides.

1st: Big Sur on my hack is working fine/perfect (on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro & 5700XT).
Then I tried:
  • had Windows clean installed on a separate SSD (M.2 NVMe); booting via OC-picker (or boot priority in BIOS) which always results in error code "0x0000001" or stop code "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR"
    Now another attempt: I reinstalled Windows following exactly this Opencore Dualboot Guide - did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 on a separate SSD + added the entry for Windows into Misc --> Boot --> Entries
    Result: I can boot macOS, I can see Windows in the picker --> booting Windows results in "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR"

• another try: Followed the steps described by "dorintia" (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/multiboot/bootstrap.html) - with the result, that I could switch (using Startup Disk), boot into Windows worked with no errors. But I never could switch back to macOS (Installed Boot Camp utility on Windows, selecting macOS as Startup Disk didn't work - always boots back into Windows)
    --> the only way out of this (and boot macOS again) is to reset CMOS of my motherboard
My questions:
  • How did you do it ? Who succeeded ? - using Boot Camp ?
  • OpenCore parameter or settings that prevent Windows to smear something into NVRAM ?
    What are the most critical OC parameter to secure OC/macOS NVRAM entries ?
    YES: Windows modifies entries - on one of the restarts I had the hostname Windows gave my PC (DESKTOP-xxx) as the hostname in macOS.....
I hope my perception to have a flawless dual-boot between macOs and Windows using OC is not an illusion....

Thanks for your advise! - A pointer to a working Guide is appreciated!
regards
Hausi

What I do:

Remove all drives except windows drive
install windows
remove all drives except macOS drive
install macOS
install all drives
use bios to select which os to boot

works every time.

Thanks - will try (again).
To be honest: When I remember the tons of attempts correctly - booting Windows thru BIOS did work (no errors). But going back to OpenCore/macOS was the problem. I had the situation where OC did nothing (booting with "-v"): Did not print a single line, just went back to the picker (after a couple of seconds).
Clear NVRAM/Reset NVRAM (from OC picker) did not help.

What's the best way to preserve OC's settings/NVRAM entries ?

best regards & merry Xmas
Hausi

Success:
- I did set a couple of OC parameters (according to guides/posts)
- I can boot Windows from BIOS (boot priority) - I cannot select Windows from the picker (still gives ACPI_ERROR) and I did not touch Boot Camp
- had to change OpenCore as #1 in boot list (BIOS) once - now its stable, and boots into MacOS

regards
Hausi

Thanks for your reply.
FYI: CleanMyMac detected a "XCAssets Backdoor" in your attached dmg....

Regards
Hausi

Hi there.

I've removed the post you mentioned for checking. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back