Contribute
Register

Obtaining a G4 Cube in Australia (for modification)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you have a dilemma of wether to hack or keep original, because by it's description it's should be a good runner (albeit a slow one).
I have a G5 that still goes very well, and a MM tray ready to go into it but just can't bring myself to do it. But I have the cube to keep the modding bug at bay for the moment.

Have fun.
Cheers.
Rossi.
Dilemma Over. Took the plunge and gutted the computer from the case, no big deal really just about an hours work or so. You can see why its such a great case for modding, there is plenty of space for all the essential components.

IMG_1573.jpg

You can also see why Apple didn't continue the design (IMHO) a third case is occupied by passive cooling and the locking mechanism. The Mac Mini removed these (non-essentials) further miniaturising the design, but in the process (IMHO) loosing the style of the G4 Cube. My current build (in signature) "I Hope" will bring back some of the G4 Cube style to a modern form factor.

My (future) plan for the G4 Cube, is to make it a real desktop replacement, (by building on your's and others recent work), basically i7 with HD4000 (haswel), with SSD and 3.5" HDD combo, and DVD drive.

Hi Kiwi,
Good idea waiting for Haswell, for the build in your cube, because with all the testing I have done ( and just had a fatal crash) I have concluded that it's not really practical to try and install a graphics card into the cube, as the PSU needed takes up too much room and generates too much added heat into the tight space, The other thing is that the limited size of the graphics card afforded by the space constraints, renders it useless,unless you need the cuda core's( which aren't too many in a GT640) for gaming or rendering, as the Intel HD4000 is quite a good IGU and Haswell is reported as being twice as powerful in the graphics, and this reflects in it's uprated needs for more power than the Ivy bridge cpu's.
I have reimaged after the crash and can keep going on the "Cooling the cube" thread just to see what limits I can push it to, I will be posting the scores between the HD4000 and the GT 640 there very soon.
Rossi.

Hi Kiwi,
Good idea waiting for Haswell, for the build in your cube, because with all the testing I have done ( and just had a fatal crash) I have concluded that it's not really practical to try and install a graphics card into the cube, as the PSU needed takes up too much room and generates too much added heat into the tight space, The other thing is that the limited size of the graphics card afforded by the space constraints, renders it useless,unless you need the cuda core's( which aren't too many in a GT640) for gaming or rendering, as the Intel HD4000 is quite a good IGU and Haswell is reported as being twice as powerful in the graphics, and this reflects in it's uprated needs for more power than the Ivy bridge cpu's.
Sorry to hear that, personally I am not a gamer, a bit of Aperture, and iMovie, and they run fine on my HD3000. Useful information on Haswell IGPU performance, hopefully Apple will sort out Retina MBP graphics issues, so I can hit up work for a new laptop.

I have reimaged after the crash and can keep going on the "Cooling the cube" thread just to see what limits I can push it to, I will be posting the scores between the HD4000 and the GT 640 there very soon.
Sounds quite serious, will look out for your posts.

This one just sold near where I live in Canada. I contacted him about it, he said there wasn't a mark on it. I just never got around to going to get it. It sat on Craigslist for about 2 weeks.

Shoulda bought it, I guess. Haswell is coming... ;)

screenshot29lw.jpg

This one just sold near where I live in Canada. I contacted him about it, he said there wasn't a mark on it. I just never got around to going to get it. It sat on Craigslist for about 2 weeks.

Shoulda bought it, I guess. Haswell is coming...
The more I read about Haswell the less convinced I am about it. The big improvements (video performance) only apply to the lower wattage, and BGA CPU's. At this point the traditional LGA desktop processors will only see mild improvements. Anyway a discussion for another thread.

BTW If anyone in Melborne wants an 'Apple 17" Studio Display - ADC' for their Cube, this one is currently selling for $0.99 (with 2.5 days to go). It looks in pristine condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171036498843&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

Intel DQ77KB motherboard available in Australia

Slightly off topic, I know but related to obtaining parts for a cube build. I came across a Australian supplier that has stock of the DQ77KB motherboard.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/intel-s1155-mini-itx-dq77kb-motherboard---retail

Since this motherboard is ideal for Cube builds, and Intel all but abandoning this form factor, I might be a good chance to get one of these boards for a runout price. I don't know if they ship overseas.

I have two builds that have this motherboard so have purchased it on justification of spare parts, with possible future cube project. Remember this board can take a desktop grade i7 65w processor, giving very high performance.

Having a spare seems like a prudent move, Kiwi. Once these boards are out of stock, what will be the alternative to build a powerful G4 Cube? This board was practically made for the Cube, it's perfect.

Good move.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back