Contribute
Register

Obtaining a G4 Cube in Australia (for modification)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
DQ77KB
CPU
i7-3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi There, I have recently finished a PowerMac G5 Mod, and am looking for a G4 Cube to modify. Problem is that getting them in Australia is very difficult. I have been looking on eBay for about 6 months now, and only seen 2 come up for auction from local sellers, one wasn't even in my city, the second one (which included monitor and accessories) went for about $300 which is too much to pay. I cant buy from an international seller, because they want a premium, and the freight is also very expensive.

Can anyone suggest a source for buying a G4 Cube in Australia for about $100 to $150.

Hi Kiwi, been looking for quite some time for one as well.

These guys sometimes have one on ebay: http://www.computerbank.org.au/

There are a few computer markets where you mau get lucky http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/

Other than that ebay, pawnbrokers and charity shops. As you may guess by the lack of a cube build by me, they are tough to get hold of in Australia.

Cheers

Aaaaah, I know who I'll be bidding against when they do rare up on the bay.

Got one from the states, I was watching one for nearly a week, It had no bids on it till the last couple of hours, then it started between 3 bidders, I waited till the last fifteen seconds and put max $150AU and couldn't believe it when I won it at $89AU, I have it all up with post at $245AU.
Now I hope it don't get lost in the post.

Rossi: Congratulations on your purchase, hope the build goes well.

Samandliam: Love the ebay link, what can I say it is cube like, not exactly small though.

Rick: Still looking but nothing so far. Another source is www.gumtree.com.au If I cant find anything might have to go with Plan B

Thanks Kiwi, now I'm bloody anxious waiting for the cube to get here safe from the east coast of the US.
The MM tray I got from Beaver Creek Oregon only took six days to land in Sydney then another three days to get up to central Queensland, so I'm hoping the cube to be only a couple more than that.
How's your search going? there getting pretty thin on the ground so their value is rising, so hopefully you can get on to one soon.
Cheers and good luck.

Thanks Kiwi, now I'm bloody anxious waiting for the cube to get here safe from the east coast of the US. The MM tray I got from Beaver Creek Oregon only took six days to land in Sydney then another three days to get up to central Queensland, so I'm hoping the cube to be only a couple more than that.
Hi Rossi, Did you cube arrive?

Hi Kiwi, It just landed in Sydney last night, now I'm more anxious than ever, check out the shipping times, read from bottom up, not bad considering it was the Presidential Inauguration holiday's at that time. I'll do some photo's of the build, not sure which way to go yet, the thin mini Gigabyte when it comes out or a Gigabyte mini ITX, I would still prefer the Mini ITX over the thin because of it's ease of configuration(read "lazy") and I will throw in my other hacks for perusal, my first G5 is interesting in that it is cheap and not so nasty. how are you going in your search?

Cheers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processed Through Sort AUSTRALIA 01/28/13 7:49pm
Facility

Processed Through Sort ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 01/23/13 8:11am
Facility

Arrived at Sort ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 01/23/13 8:10am
Facility

Depart USPS Sort NASHUA NH 03063 01/20/13
Facility

Processed at USPS NASHUA NH 03063 01/19/13 10:00pm
Origin Sort Facility

Dispatched to Sort BOOTHBAY ME 04537 01/19/13 12:00pm
Facility