[obsolete] HP ProBook Installer 6

Motherboard
hackintosh
CPU
i3
Graphics
intel
HP ProBook Installer 6 (beta 3)

This is great! Not only are we able to install/update to the latest releases, we should have an easier time adapting to future versions.

:thumbup:

For those of you that don't know, philip has been working on this for a while. It takes an incredible amount of time to put these packages together and it is a significant contribution for ProBook owners. Thanks for this and your other contributions, philip!

Both myself and BigDonkey (and perhaps others) have been testing this for the last couple of days, but we need additional testing to verify that it is working with a variety of hardware configurations. So, if you have the ability to do an install to an extra partition or spare harddrive, please do so and report back. Or maybe you have it in mind that you'd like to do a fresh install... now would be a good time to try that with philip's new installer.

i'm a complete noob, and happy to assist where practical, testing will be a huge new area too.

are there any best practices to prepare for the worst in case things go messy?

is there anything specific to test for?

should we backup image the hdd or just do a time machine or both b4 testing?

i still havent completely signed off on using the probook for day to day critical stuff, as i havent yet added ubuntu.

and a bit concerned if 10.8.x updates in future might affect stable use.

* another bit of useful info,
  • not sure where it fits. but if you dont install the ln2macs lan kext, but use the wifi (my case usb wifi) its a hit and miss affair with app store. but if you install ln2macs lan kext and setup your wifi (in my case usb wifi) and change the serial to something diffrent to the default from the unibeast installer or etc, it seems to work like normal.
  • this if for unpatched probook setup, just following the rehabmans guide and probook installer, nothing fancy as i have yet to understand the diy dsdt etc.as i'm still a complete noob.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HP ProBook Installer 6 (beta 3)

BigDonkey have reported that the 10.6.8 option has broken kexts or something (these are the same kext from BlueKing's Installer v.3.3.0, but anyway, he wasn't able to make this OS working at all with them), I've received a message from him this morning that he have managed to make it work with an archive, containing the kexts he have used. The next beta will probably have a brand new 10.6.8 option.

Thank you, BigDonkey!

Maybe that's why my SL install is not going well. This is my first SL, so I thought I was doing something wrong...

dfy

Motherboard
4530s, 8gb RAM, SSD + HDD, f.28
CPU
2330m
Graphics
hd3000+ati6490
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
HP ProBook Installer 6 (beta)

Same problem occured to me some weeks ago, I have i2330 (+ati) dsdt/ssdt from beta3 working fine, then I tried some later version (b9??) nad suddenly KPs on cpupowermanagement on boot.

I will try this new installer on sunday, hope it works as I have not earlier 2330 version anymore

Motherboard
Lenovo V330-15IKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

Hi everybody!
I used this new installer right now on a fresh 10.8.2 installation and everything is working like a charm!
I just added my own DSDT (thanks RehabMan) and the 2 kexts for the DVD drive http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/71939-4530s-xou15t-dvd-not-recognized.html

Just a question: I noticed that when the battery is low (7%), when I close the lid, the laptop don't go to sleep. Is normal?
Thanks guys!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

i'm a complete noob, and happy to assist where practical, testing will be a huge new area too.

are there any best practices to prepare for the worst in case things go messy?

is there anything specific to test for?

should we backup image the hdd or just do a time machine or both b4 testing?

i still havent completely signed off on using the probook for day to day critical stuff, as i havent yet added ubuntu.

and a bit concerned if 10.8.x updates in future might affect stable use.

* another bit of useful info,
  • not sure where it fits. but if you dont install the ln2macs lan kext, but use the wifi (my case usb wifi) its a hit and miss affair with app store. but if you install ln2macs lan kext and setup your wifi (in my case usb wifi) and change the serial to something diffrent to the default from the unibeast installer or etc, it seems to work like normal.
  • this if for unpatched probook setup, just following the rehabmans guide and probook installer, nothing fancy as i have yet to understand the diy dsdt etc.as i'm still a complete noob.

Just test it as you would normally use it... and if there is anything specific that you think of try that too. There aren't really any new kexts here (just putting them in a nice package), so it is more a test that we have the right DSDTs and SSDTs lined up.

Definitely create a backup of your existing system. I'm using a completely different HDD (I've pulled my normal SSD out of the machine and it is sitting on the sidelines).

Yes, ethernet is pretty much necessary for iCloud/AppStore sort of things. I'm somewhat curious why it is a separate option... Probably to give lnx2mac some credit... And I haven't tried this, but supposedly lnx2mac's driver is good on SL too... at least according to his website.

Future updates are always an issue. But if you have automatic software update off (now forced off for 10.8.2 in this installer), you don't have to worry about it automatically kicking in an as-yet not patched update.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Just performed a fresh install of ML 10.8.2 on my 4530s (XU015UT with the i3-2310M CPU replaced with an i7-2670QM, 8GB, F.29 BIOS) using a clean spare 2.5" hard drive. I used the following Probook Installer ver. 6b3 options:

-OS X support kexts/Mountain Lion/10.8.2
-DSDT/4230s-4530s HD3000 NF/BIOS Revision F20
-SSDT/i7 Processors/i7-2670QM
-System Definitions/MacBookPro8,1
-Chimera 1.11.1
-Ethernet kext (Lion and ML)
-Bluetooth kext (Lion and ML)
-AHCI patch (10.8.x only)
-Graphic Glitch Fix
-EDID Generator
-Extra Tools/All but Trim Enabler

After the reboot following the ML installation and Probook Installer installation, everything worked: USB, Bluetooth, Audio, HDMI with Audio, however ML would only recognize my CD/DVD if the machine were booted with a disc in the drive (tried several reboots, but nothing changed). I installed the ACHI_3rd_Party_Sata.kext from Lion, rebooted, and the drive works fine. FWIW, I had to do this on my very first installation of ML on this machine (Rehabman links to my thread on this issue in his Probook/ML FAQ).

All in All, this version of the Probook Installer (6b3) is quite an improvement over the 5.1b1 that I used on my original installation on this machine. Only having to fix one glitch outside of the installer (CD/DVD issue) is pretty darn good, if you ask me.

Interesting note: when running HW Monitor, I'm seeing a few more intermediate CPU multipliers than I have seen before (like 11, 19 and 22) and the machine seems to idle at a higher multiplier than it did before (11 or 15 v. 8), although I do see it dip quickly down to 8 then back up. Still peaks at 26.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I ran the 10.8.2 supplemental update from the App Store with no issues.

-bth

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Interesting note: when running HW Monitor, I'm seeing a few more intermediate CPU multipliers than I have seen before (like 11, 19 and 22) and the machine seems to idle at a higher multiplier than it did before (11 or 15 v. 8), although I do see it dip quickly down to 8 then back up. Still peaks at 26.

You probably seeing that just because it is a fresh install, so the OS is busy doing things (mostly indexing files for Spotlight search). It will calm down eventually.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

You probably seeing that just because it is a fresh install, so the OS is busy doing things (mostly indexing files for Spotlight search). It will calm down eventually.

It is settling down now and I'm seeing it at 8 a lot more. I figured there might be something going on in the background to cause this.

-bth

Motherboard
GA-H77N-WIFI F4
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

Just performed a fresh install of ML 10.8.2 on my 4530s (XU015UT with the i3-2310M CPU replaced with an i7-2670QM) using a clean spare 2.5" hard drive. I used the following Probook Installer ver. 6b3 options:

-OS X support kexts/Mountain Lion/10.8.2
-DSDT/4230s-4530s HD3000 NF
-SSDT/i7 Processors/i7-2670QM
-System Definitions/MacBookPro8,1
-Chimera 1.11.1
-Ethernet kext (Lion and ML)
-Bluetooth kext (Lion and ML)
-AHCI patch (10.8.x only)
-Graphic Glitch Fix
-EDID Generator
-Extra Tools/All but Trim Enabler

After the reboot following the ML installation and Probook Installer installation, everything worked: USB, Bluetooth, Audio, HDMI with Audio, however ML would only recognize my CD/DVD if the machine were booted with a disc in the drive (tried several reboots, but nothing changed). I installed the ACHI_3rd_Party_Sata.kext from Lion, rebooted, and the drive works fine. FWIW, I had to do this on my very first installation of ML on this machine (Rehabman links to my thread on this issue in his Probook/ML FAQ).

All in All, this version of the Probook Installer (6b3) is quite an improvement over the 5.1b1 that I used on my original installation on this machine. Only having to fix one glitch outside of the installer (CD/DVD issue) is pretty darn good, if you ask me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I ran the 10.8.2 supplemental update from the App Store with no issues.

-bth

Maybe we should consider to include this kext (ACHI_3rd_Party_Sata.kext) as an option in the Installer, just in case...

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Maybe we should consider to include this kext (ACHI_3rd_Party_Sata.kext) as an option in the Installer, just in case...

If you did, it would make installation about as turn-key as possible (at least in my situation). BTW, thanks for all of the effort you've put into this.

-bth