Contribute
Register

Observations One Hour into WWDC 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the motherboard should be that much, if an ASUS Z11PA-U12 does the trick its only $429.99. Slap a couple 16GB dimms in, the W-3175X and a Radeon VII and you've got your 28 core mac pro. No cheese grater though :|

I don't think the motherboard should be that much, if an ASUS Z11PA-U12 does the trick its only $429.99. Slap a couple 16GB dimms in, the W-3175X and a Radeon VII and you've got your 28 core mac pro. No cheese grater though :|
I'm not sure if this M/B supports this CPU and generally these are server/workstation motherboards with limited features and I/O (e.g. this doesn't include audio codecs, has only 2 USBs, etc.). But yes, you are right, you might be able to make it work for much cheaper, by also using lower end Xeons (e.g. Xeon-Bronze), but at that point you would probably get better performance with more mainstream parts (z390, x299).

I was thinking more along the lines of high-end/enthusiast/overclocking boards and CPUs, since we're going all the way, right?:D

Hi Guys,

Having watched the official WWDC stream and a few "Hands Off" overview videos I think it's pretty clear that Apple have drawn a line in the sand with regards to Nvidia.

There was absolutely no mention of Nvidia support in any of streams/videos .. and i'm guessing that was deliberate.

One of the biggest industry pushes for Apple to support Nvidia in Mojave was from RED for 8K video editing using RTX 2080 TI, i'm guessing that a fully decked out 2019 Mac Pro with the Afterburner card would blow RTX 2080 out of the water when it comes to 8K video editing, so Apple have now satisfied RED's demands without giving into Nvidia.

Apple do seem to have checked all the boxes for Pro's with the announcement of the new Mac Pro, but it really is a system for top tier professionals as I think its fair to say that even a medium decked out Mac Pro is going to cost in the $25,000.00 - $30,000.00 range (28 Core CPU, 1 x Vega II Duo GPU, 512GB EEC Memory and decent sized storage)

The Verge is estimating that a fully loaded 2019 Mac Pro with 2 x Duo GPU's, Afterburner card and XDR Displays will cost more than $50,000.00 !!!

But then if you can afford RED 8K cameras then i suppose you'll be able to afford it ...

Info on the Vega II GPU's is now available on AMD's site :-

Seems to be based on the same architecture as used on the Radeon VII (64 CU's / 7nm) but with 32GB HBM Memory and of course will include a highly optimised Apple Tax pre-processor ;)

Will be very interesting to see the real word compute performance and benchmarks once these things hit the market, and if Nvidia will support Apples new MPX GPU architecture.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Although I do prefer Nvidia over AMD, since I'm a Hackintosher I need to go with the flow, this is a big slap on the face of Nvidia, I truly underestimated apple when they did not release a new mac pro for 6 years, they played the game correctly, they let every tech company try to satisfy the pro users needs and then they gave them the mac pro with extremely high-end specs, if you compare the price for a full mac pro specs to be 50k to the Sony monitor that costs 43k then apple is the winner here.

The base model Mac Pro is where Apple doesn't do individual Pro users justice. The people that are a one person operation editing video or photos with a much more limited budget. In this video Max Yuryev goes into detail about why the $5,999 edition is just not worth purchasing. If you are not a large studio/corporation with a mega hardware budget you'd need to spend thousands more than the base price just to get a system that would meet your needs 100%.

The interesting thing is, that this opens the possibility for a 28-core Xeon W-3175X hackintosh build, once 10.15 launches. It would be a super expensive experiment for the first one who tries though :) ($3,000 for the CPU and ~$2,000 motherboard)
That's what I'm talking about for a few months :). That'd be a great alternative, yeah.

I got my current 1080 for free (long story) so there's a pretty solid incentive on my part to wait and see if the impasse is resolved. If they still haven't come to at least a state of detente by the time Navi/RDNA GPUs are available and shipping in iMacs, though, then I'll seriously have to consider sidegrading over to one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back