Contribute
Register

Observations One Hour into WWDC 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only mention of Quadros I remember was in saying how the Vegas outperform them.

Edit:
Correction... I think it was when they were saying how much the Afterburner outperformed the Quadros.
Ah darn. I think it's going to be a hard sell if you can't use your own nvidia cards.

More than any of us can afford unless we were to win the million dollar lottery.

I just buy it say it is for the business, write it off as a business expenses. Then every year you get to write off some value of the depreciation for the life of the system. By the end of its life it was roughly free... . Apple also has payment plans.

I wonder why Radeon VII isn't an option.

I wonder why Radeon VII isn't an option.

Because they got lot and lot and lots of Vega 64 GPU's and now that they have started using the mesh on a GPU and not just to bind Dies on CPU they can get crazy output. Radeon VII was/is a marketing scam to get to Navi but still give Nvida some trouble for the RTX.

Apple also has payment plans.
You could take out the Apple Credit Card to get a discount too. Are you going to buy one of these monster Macs ?
If you spend $30,000 on your 28 core Mac Pro and two 6K XDR displays you'd get an instant $900 off. What a deal !

Last edited:
You could take out the Apple Credit Card to get a discount too. Are you going to buy one of these monster Macs ?
If you spend $30,000 on your 28 core Mac Pro and two 6K XDR displays you'd get an instant $900 off. What a deal !

View attachment 409610

I might buy one not exactly when it comes out and not a maxed out version and defiantly not the monitor. But with a 30% discount that I could likely leverage from my Brother from another mother it makes it a little more obtainable. The only thing that really I can not tell for sure is if you can put your own video card off the shelf in it or if you must use their modules. Like Could I buy it with an RX580 and pop both the Vega 64 I have in my house into instead.

You and I both know that the people that truly need the power of the 28 core version are making so much money that 30k is a drop in the bucket. And really the only reason to buy that thing is the case, maybe I could get my structural steel guy to fashion me one.

I Likely also would take on extra work to cover the costs and pay for it on an Amex and use the points to buy plane tickets that year instead of Cash.

I might buy one not exactly when it comes out and not a maxed out version and definitely not the monitor.
The monitor is way overkill for the average person. How many people can afford the camera gear to shoot 8K anyway ?
Spending 6,000 dollars on a 6K monitor doesn't appear to be the best place to put your money when there are very good LG 32" 4K monitors available for much less. See: LG 32UL950-W 32" Class Ultrafine 4K UHD w/TH3 costs under $1,000 at Amazon right now.

Last edited:
The monitor is way overkill for the average person. How many people can afford the camera gear to shoot 8K anyway ?
Spending 6,000 dollars on a 6K monitor doesn't appear to be the best place to put your money when there are very good LG 5K monitors available for much less.

I shoot 360 panoramic point cloud but I am fine with 2 4K Samsungs.

Here's the funniest thing I've read about the new Mac Pro so far.
It slices through 8K video renders and hard cheeses with equal aplomb.
To me it just looks strange. Nothing like the beautiful lines and curves the original Mac Pro had.
To give Jony some credit, the design of the handles make a lot more sense if you have to lift it.

2019-mac-pro-side-and-front.jpg

Quote is from MacRumors.com comments section "First-Look Impressions of the New Mac Pro"

Last edited:
To me it just looks strange. Nothing like the beautiful lines and curves the original Mac Pro had.

Looks like they concentrated on the rack mount chassis and then made it into a tower too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back