Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Just about done with my Mac Pro - only cable management left to really take care of- and wanted to ask a question of those of you who have done one of these and make an observation for those considering taking the leap. It seems that the SAS to SATA converter that I got from Maxupgrades doesn't seems to like the SATA III ports on my mobo. I was initially very concerned but when I tried using the SATA II ports everything worked perfectly. Has anyone else found this to be the case? If so, others bear this in mind when buying your SSDs and HDDs - although not sure available SATA II drives are these days.

As a side note, hooking up the original Mac Pro fans to SATA power connectors from the PSU using the 3.3V orange wire works really well.

Hi all,

Just about done with my Mac Pro - only cable management left to really take care of- and wanted to ask a question of those of you who have done one of these and make an observation for those considering taking the leap. It seems that the SAS to SATA converter that I got from Maxupgrades doesn't seems to like the SATA III ports on my mobo. I was initially very concerned but when I tried using the SATA II ports everything worked perfectly. Has anyone else found this to be the case? If so, others bear this in mind when buying your SSDs and HDDs - although not sure available SATA II drives are these days.

As a side note, hooking up the original Mac Pro fans to SATA power connectors from the PSU using the 3.3V orange wire works really well.

In my Mac Pro hack I added two SATA drives in a mobile rack mount above the one optical drive that I installed. The intention here was to put SATA III SSD drives there and large 2TB 3.5 inch hard drives on the 4 drive sleds.

neil

I have a sense that it does matter for those types that are doing heavy data processing (video and audio). For me this is the exception and the actual read/write speed does not make any difference.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back