Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi
CPU
Intel 9700k
Graphics
Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
So, long story short, I ended up formatting my drive with El Capitan so I decided to do the jump to High Sierra as a clean install. I had trouble booting the drive but once I managed to, the install would stop with the O/ symbol and not do anything. I did my research and found out that it is a USB issue, and I verified by using verbose mode (it said “still waiting for...”).

So far, I’ve tried using all the usb ports, different usb drives, and a usb 2.0 hub to install without luck. I also tried the Inject and Ownership options during the boot, but of course it did not resolve the issue.

If there's anything I'm missing please let me know, and thanks for all the help in advance!

Some help guys? :( I really need this machine to work but I'm clueless right now.

Some help guys? :( I really need this machine to work but I'm clueless right now.
Your research should have already told you the answer :
"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
If you only have USB3 ports try with your USB flash drive in a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.

You should try the forum Search tool to see if you can find a build guide written by someone with similar parts to your own.

I already tried all of those. I did see all those posts, even the ones that have a solution and no luck. Like I said, I already tried all the USB ports, including using a USB 2.0 Hub, and even using different USB drives. I will try and search for build guides but I have a feeling that it won't resolve it, if someone here experienced the same issue I'd appreciate the help :)

I already tried all of those. I did see all those posts, even the ones that have a solution and no luck. Like I said, I already tried all the USB ports, including using a USB 2.0 Hub, and even using different USB drives. I will try and search for build guides but I have a feeling that it won't resolve it, if someone here experienced the same issue I'd appreciate the help :)
There is nothing special about your build, many have already succeeded - The issue is as previously stated.
Check that your BIOS settings are correct too.

There is nothing special about your build, many have already succeeded - The issue is as previously stated.
Check that your BIOS settings are correct too.

I'll double check, but I think I changed everything required. Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just kinda desperate lol

I'll double check, but I think I changed everything required. Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just kinda desperate lol
Nothing... I have everything right and it still doesn't work.

I have VT-d off
Secure Boot Mode off
Other OS selected
IO Serial Port disabled
and XHCI handoff enabled

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back