Contribute
Register

NZXT Cam Software and OSX support

Would you buy a NZXT watercooler if there was OSX Support?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually just swapped out my case from Phanteks Enthoo ITX to the new NZXT H200i. The NZXT is very pretty in white and the case is very easy to work in. However the smart hub where fans and the builtin LED is connected to is useless. The fans connected to the smart hub spin up to max. I had to pull them out and plug them into the motherboard directly via splitter. I wish NZXT would port the CAM software even if just a basic version for fan speed and LED color.

Just built a new Hack in an NZXT H700i. Would love CAM support!

Just built a new Hack in an NZXT H700i. Would love CAM support!

I would like to buy that case and a kraken CPU cooler, but guessing will run into problems??

I have a corsair H80i. I just plug the fans into the motherboard CPU fan headers and control everything from BIOS. Works great. That said, led colour doesn't interest me

So doing some digging into this...

There is this tool -> https://github.com/jonasmalacofilho/liquidctl

Somebody has written a GUI for it -> https://gitlab.com/leinardi/gkraken

Of course this is all Linux and not macOS but it shows that it is possible to control these outside of Windows and CAM.

liquidctl its self is Python and will detect the cooler...

Code:
censored:~ censored$ liquidctl list
Device 0, NZXT Kraken X (X42, X52, X62 or X72) at bus:address 20:3

However it will not poll it for status...

Code:
censored:~ censored$ liquidctl status
NZXT Kraken X (X42, X52, X62 or X72), device 0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/liquidctl", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/liquidctl/cli.py", line 93, in main
    status = dev.get_status()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/liquidctl/driver/kraken_two.py", line 126, in get_status
    msg = self.device.read(READ_ENDPOINT, READ_LENGTH, READ_TIMEOUT)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 975, in read
    intf, ep = self._ctx.setup_request(self, endpoint)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 102, in wrapper
    return f(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 216, in setup_request
    self.managed_claim_interface(device, intf)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 102, in wrapper
    return f(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 167, in managed_claim_interface
    self.backend.claim_interface(self.handle, i)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 811, in claim_interface
    _check(self.lib.libusb_claim_interface(dev_handle.handle, intf))
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 595, in _check
    raise USBError(_strerror(ret), ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
usb.core.USBError: [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions)

Some more digging finds it is a permission error with the usb.core, libusb and PyUSB

Linux users fixed that by modifying udev rules but I can't find the mac side of that... so I suppose I'm stuck now until somebody smarter than me can pick this up :)

Thanks... seems like a nice simple menu tool.
Only thing i'd suggest (if possible) is next to the Fan and Pump speed... show the % already selected for each.
One other thing.... what is the temperature sensor being used? Is the temp from the Kraken sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back