Contribute
Register

NVMe_indentify_controller failed error - OCZ RD400 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97 > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
R9 290
I have the OCZ RD400 512 m.2 Drive - I've tried my M.2 slot in the mother board, and with the expansion card that came bundled with the SSD and get the same crash every time (screen shot attached) Something to do with "nvme_identify_controller failed" . I have tried the NVMe driver in my El Capitan machine, tried making clean USB installs with both El Capitan and Yosemite, played with the location of NvmExpressDxe-64 driver. But in every instance I get the attached error message NVMe_identify_controller failed.

I'm curious if the NVMe kext simply doesn't recognize the OCZ drive as its my understanding this drive came out some time after the Kext was written. Any ideas how to get the controller to identify the drive correctly?

My mother board is GA-Z97X-UD3H updated with the most recent bios. The RD400 shows up in the Bios just fine, my Windows 7 shows it as well.

Help ?!?

Attachments

• 2016-06-09 15.40.55.jpg
    2016-06-09 15.40.55.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 247
I have the OCZ RD400 512 m.2 Drive - I've tried my M.2 slot in the mother board, and with the expansion card that came bundled with the SSD and get the same crash every time (screen shot attached) Something to do with "nvme_identify_controller failed" . I have tried the NVMe driver in my El Capitan machine, tried making clean USB installs with both El Capitan and Yosemite, played with the location of NvmExpressDxe-64 driver. But in every instance I get the attached error message NVMe_identify_controller failed.

I'm curious if the NVMe kext simply doesn't recognize the OCZ drive as its my understanding this drive came out some time after the Kext was written. Any ideas how to get the controller to identify the drive correctly?

My mother board is GA-Z97X-UD3H updated with the most recent bios. The RD400 shows up in the Bios just fine, my Windows 7 shows it as well.

Help ?!?

Did you solve the problem?
I'm stuck there
Thanks!

The solution is to use the OCZ SSD Utility (a boot disk with mac friendly install guide) and use Maintenance->Tools->Advanced Format->4096->Format. Backup your data first because this erases the disk. Once done then can be set up in Disk Utility and it works perfectly with no patches required. It's the same solution for the HP branded version of this drive THNSN5512GPU7 (HP recently acquired OCZ) also OEM Dell part JKCY9 if you really like bargains!

In case you were interested, only 4096 capable NVME SSDs work on Sierra, which is why Samsung's that use 512 are not compatible and need the driver patched.

IMG_2855.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, anybody solved this?, my most recent build has two M.2 slots and have Sierra installed on a Samsung 960 evo and working fine, tried to dual boot on the second M.2 and install Windows 10, just install drive with no OS shows this error, installed Windows on drive, also shows this error, went back and secure erased drive, boot and showed error, removed drive and Sierra booted fine. Any suggestions?, returned drive, will repurchase until find solution, thanks in advance Gato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back