Contribute
Register

NVMe - Samsung vs Sabrent Rocket 4 or WD SN850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Samsung 970 Pro in my current desktop build runs quite a bit hotter than other components, idles around 50 degC. Just saw this post pointing out that Samsung NVMe controllers do not play nice with macOS, and the linked Dortania post suggests Sabrent Rocket and WD NVMes are a better choice for macOS, better speed, and probably lower temperature and longer life. Anyone have a view on the Sabrent Rocket NVMe4 vs the WD Black SN850 NVMe?

Last edited:
They are meaningless if your motherboard doesn’t support PCIe 4.0...

They are meaningless if your motherboard doesn’t support PCIe 4.0...
I think a Gen4 NVMe will work in a Gen3 PCIe slot.

Or if they are much cheaper than the Gen4s, Sabrent Rocket vs WD Black SN750 NVMe.

I am solving for a problem with Samsung NVMe here, not trying to get Gen4 over Gen3 PCIe.

I have no issues with my Sabrent Rocket Q Gen 3 NVMe drive. It runs at @ 40* C.

Reads Seq 1meg 3448.11 MB/s
Writes Seq 1 meg 438.90 MB/s

Last edited:
I think a Gen4 NVMe will work in a Gen3 PCIe slot.

Or if they are much cheaper than the Gen4s, Sabrent Rocket vs WD Black SN750 NVMe.

I am solving for a problem with Samsung NVMe here, not trying to get Gen4 over Gen3 PCIe.
I have two SN750 I have no issues with them. However, they still run at around 50C I would consider one web browser open with one page and message app basically idle.

I also have two Samsung 970 evo Plus drives with the revised firmware that came out about a year ago they both function fine as well. The speeds are slower on the WD drives but not by much. They also run at about 50C. So if your aim is just to get a cooler running drives then the SN750 does not fit the bill. I can not comment on the SN850 as I do not have one of those and it seems like in your second post you mention the SN750..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back