Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI SLI Plus Z370
CPU
Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core LGA 1151 Processor
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to all this and I've been fighting this issue for a week now and I can't seem to find any solution. I was running my Catalina build until it completely froze and had to do a force restart. I have Clover bootloader but I believe my SSD used opencore to boot. From the moment I had to force start, the computer started going straight to the BIOS and never boot up again. So I created a USB install of Big Sur to try to upgrade and fix this issue. I've successfully created the usb bootloaded and it boots just fine. But when I try to install Big Sur I get "Permission Denied" and after checking DiskUtil, the os drive where Catalina lives is in READ ONLY mode. There's no way that I've found to make it writable. I tried some guides out there (Dortania at length) and I can't make it work. I am right now booting with opencore 0.6.8 and Ive tried 0.7.8 as well. No luck with either. The drive where the OS is shows as read only (Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB). I even tried to delete the APFS partition and start fresh, but it just won't allow me to even do that.

Anyone has any idea what could it be? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've attached the config.plist I use to boot with opencore 0.6.8 and also a screenshot of my EFI folder.

Attachments

• config.plist
    38.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 6.50.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 6.50.54 PM.png
    380.7 KB · Views: 84
Don't use a Samsung NVMe SSD as your boot drive. Will be nothing but trouble. There are better choices. Drives that don't have the TRIM issues with APFS/macOS.

Seems like the symptoms of a dead drive. To test my theory create a Linux boot USB and do a test install with it. If it fails to allow the drive to be partitioned as well it is time to buy new one for the machine. And as I see now I am about to post about them being junk for use with OSX it can be that as well, either way a new drive is in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back