Contribute
Register

NVMe Power management support - APST

Status
Not open for further replies.
@icex if any of you guys have a real MacBook/air/pro with OEM Apple nvme, it would be nice if you guys can upload ACPI Tables and ioreg so I can analyze/reverse engineer on how do they implement power management on their nvme drives and attempt to implement on third party nvme drives for macOS.

Hi Sniki, I just received my MBP 15" 2019 :) Here's my ioreg and also the acpi tables.

Attachments

• Bogdan's Macbook Pro 15 2019.zip
    7 MB · Views: 98
After playing quite a bit with various settings (SSDT_NVME and your patch) I can't say there is a solution to the APST issue. I would love to see what an actual NVMe MacBook reports in linux smartctl but have no access to hardware :(.

Also the only real difference I saw between the ANS2 and other NVMe SSDs is the max power state = 0x3 while generic SSDs are always set to 0x2. Any chance we can try to play with this value?

The other avenue would be to try to find if Apple's NVME implementation handles APST at all. I'm also stuck with NVME and 10W power drain while CPU package floats around 2W on idle. (X1 Carbon Gen6)

I'm also stuck with NVME and 10W power drain while CPU package floats around 2W on idle. (X1 Carbon Gen6)

Hi Velaar! How do you measure the power drain? I'm on a T480s and experience a similar behavior (battery life on macOS = 1/3 from what I get on Windows 10 thus 3:20h vs. 11hrs)

Last edited:
Hi Velaar! How do you measure the power drain? I'm on a T480s and experience a similar behavior (battery life on macOS = 1/3 from what I get on Windows 10 thus 3:20h vs. 11hrs)
I'm getting definitely more than that. around 10W on iStat, 2W on Intel power gadget (see screenshots)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.57.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.57.56 AM.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.57.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.57.10 AM.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for the tip with iStat!

Are you dropping below 10W then?

Otherwise I am getting to very close values (10,2W with low brightness and Bluetooth off).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 23.18.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 23.18.00.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 75
Yes, with the lower (but not minimal brightness), wifi, BT I get ~8.5-9w.

I have 2 SSD's and it seems WD is hotter even though the OS is on Toshiba. I can't help wondering what is going on there and how to enable 0x3 power state for non-apple ssd

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.45.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.45.06 AM.png
    352.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.46.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.46.45 AM.png
    50 KB · Views: 85
Yes, this has just shown up two hours ago from Acidanthera, so expect a release soon, max in a month.

@icex if any of you guys have a real MacBook/air/pro with OEM Apple nvme, it would be nice if you guys can upload ACPI Tables and ioreg so I can analyze/reverse engineer on how do they implement power management on their nvme drives and attempt to implement on third party nvme drives for macOS.
how can I learn reverse engineering? I'm on fourth degree on Computer engineering

Yes, this has just shown up two hours ago from Acidanthera, so expect a release soon, max in a month.
I can confirm that this kext solved my power management problem using NVME. I'm now back to 0.8PKG on Intel Power Gadget. Before without this new kext i had 1.8PKG !

Thanks Sniki for pointing this out to me.

Mattia

Did you manage to compile it?
Can you upload it?
Yes i'm using it right now. There is no kext release yet because if you're not using the latest unreleased Lilu kext then also NVMeFix will not work.

I could upload here both but i'm not sure if it is allowed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back