Contribute
Register

NVMe PCIe adapter for the Samsung 970 Pro!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
CPU
i9-9940X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Guys,

I want to buy the new Samsung 970 Pro (512GB) or something similar (960 Pro), but my Motherboard don't support NVMe.
I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT.

Can someone suggest me a nice NVMe PCIe adapter to take a full advantage of NVMe?

I want to install High Sierra (10.13.4) on this NVMe.

Last edited:
Be careful with the 970 Pro. From what I understand, this is the retail version of the PM981 and the PM981 has been very problematic with hackintoshes. So, would suggest waiting for confirmation that the 970 Pro works before buying it.

Be careful with the 970 Pro. From what I understand, this is the retail version of the PM981 and the PM981 has been very problematic with hackintoshes. So, would suggest waiting for confirmation that the 970 Pro works before buying it.

yes you are right, but this is not my problem now.

my problem is that the motherboard don't support NVMe.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I want to buy the new Samsung 970 Pro (512GB) or something similar (960 Pro), but my Motherboard don't support NVMe.
I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT.

Can someone suggest me a nice NVMe PCIe adapter to take full advantage of NVMe?

I want to install High Sierra (10.13.4) on this NVMe.

Booting from NVMe drives requires BIOS support. I strongly suggest you first upgrade the BIOS of your motherboard to the latest version (F7 for your motherboard) if you have not done so.

That said, it seems that your motherboard really does not support NVMe drives. (Strange that Gigabyte does not provide NVMe BIOS support on a Z97 motherboard.) I don't know if Clover can substitute for this support. On a GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard that I have, BIOS version F6 and later supports booting from NVMe drives.

I bought a Silverstone ECM20 some time ago which supports M.2 drives in SATA and NVMe. It should suit your purpose.

You should be able to leave a USB drive to boot clover and then direct clover with NVME support to boot OSX from your NVME drive, however.

Booting from NVMe drives requires BIOS support. I strongly suggest you first upgrade the BIOS of your motherboard to the latest version (F7 for your motherboard) if you have not done so.

That said, it seems that your motherboard really does not support NVMe drives. (Strange that Gigabyte does not provide NVMe BIOS support on a Z97 motherboard.) I don't know if Clover can substitute for this support. On a GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard that I have, BIOS version F6 and later supports booting from NVMe drives.

I bought a Silverstone ECM20 some time ago which supports M.2 drives in SATA and NVMe. It should suit your purpose.

Can you go into more depth about the PRO lines being avoided? I bought a 970 Pro and it has been mostly smooth sailing other than a less than 500mb/s than advertised speeds.

I've never read about any problems with the Pro models.

I've never read about any problems with the Pro models.
my apologies I mixed up model number thinking PM981 was pro model. Have you been able to get full advertised speed out of your 970 Evo while on OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back