Contribute
Register

NVidia vs Radeon power consumptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, after a long break (been very busy this past month, finally starting to build), was going to use the HD530, but am now researching GPU cards.

Questions: the Sapphire RX460 with 2-gbs gddr5 128 bit states TDP 72w, min 3w, max 75w. The Asus R9 380 2gb 256bit states power consumption up to 225w.
While the Gigabyte GTX 950 2gb ddr5, power supply requirements 350w.
These are all PCI E 3.0, 2 gb cards (4gb are way too much power).

I upgraded my case to a Corsair v1 (miniITX build) with big fans and a 550watt modular psu, so a long card isn't a problem anymore.

I have a Gigabyte z170 series mobo, an i7-6700 (non K) 64w CPU, Crucial M.2 ssd, Crucial ssd, Seagate 2tb 3.5 hdd (for backup inside the case), and that's about it (besides the GPU of course). I will rely on the usb ports for other storage/ installation needs (usb SuperDrive, usb sticks, etc...). Also, I will be running an apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, along with a 22" Dell widescreen monitor.

What graphics card should I be using for the best compatibility and power consumption?

Thank You, Timeah.

Hi, after a long break (been very busy this past month, finally starting to build), was going to use the HD530, but am now researching GPU cards.

Questions: the Sapphire RX460 with 2-gbs gddr5 128 bit states TDP 72w, min 3w, max 75w. The Asus R9 380 2gb 256bit states power consumption up to 225w.
While the Gigabyte GTX 950 2gb ddr5, power supply requirements 350w.
These are all PCI E 3.0, 2 gb cards (4gb are way too much power).

I upgraded my case to a Corsair v1 (miniITX build) with big fans and a 550watt modular psu, so a long card isn't a problem anymore.

I have a Gigabyte z170 series mobo, an i7-6700 (non K) 64w CPU, Crucial M.2 ssd, Crucial ssd, Seagate 2tb 3.5 hdd (for backup inside the case), and that's about it (besides the GPU of course). I will rely on the usb ports for other storage/ installation needs (usb SuperDrive, usb sticks, etc...). Also, I will be running an apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, along with a 22" Dell widescreen monitor.

What graphics card should I be using for the best compatibility and power consumption?

Thank You, Timeah.

Oh, I'm also using G-Skill DDR4 2133s (16gb - 2x8gb), if this makes any difference with power consumption. Timeah...

The GTX 950 is rated at 90 TDP (Source: NVIDIA Launches GeForce GTX 950; GM206 The Lesser For $159). If power consumption and efficiency are important to you, go with either the GTX 950 or RX 460.

FCPX works better with AMD graphics cards. Most other apps prefer Nvidia graphics cards. You will have to determine which would suit your needs better. Generally speaking, the GTX 960 is probably the better performer than the RX 460.

Last edited:
The GTX 950 is rated at 90 TDP (Source: NVIDIA Launches GeForce GTX 950; GM206 The Lesser For $159). If power consumption and efficiency are important to you, go with either the GTX 950 or RX 460.

FCPX works better with AMD graphics cards. Most other apps prefer Nvidia graphics cards. You will have to determine which would suit your needs better. Generally speaking, the GTX 960 is probably the better performer than the RX 460.
CAD such as my ChiefArchitect work much better (faster and cleaner redraws, faster and more complete saves, on & on...) on AMD Graphics too.
I'll most likely use a gtx 950 card, but there could be the rare chance of using an AMD GPU, especially if the price is right. Anyway, I thank you for your quick response, Timeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back