asddd
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 980
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@Raftrix86,
I see that you are using After effects and premiere pro - I use Hackintoshes for more than a decade. but I'm thinking of switching back to windows because of Adobe after effects performs better with NVIDIA GPU's what are your thoughts? I understand that you had Radeon VII and now 5700XT? what is your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you are using After effects and premiere pro - I use Hackintoshes for more than a decade. but I'm thinking of switching back to windows because of Adobe after effects performs better with NVIDIA GPU's what are your thoughts? I understand that you had Radeon VII and now 5700XT? what is your experience?

Where did you get that a Nvidia GPU is faster than a Radeon in After Effects? did you already tried it?, I tested a RTX 2070 Super against a RX 5700 XT, and to be honest they perform exactly the same in After Effects (of course Windows testing because the Nvidia RTX Video cards don´t work on Mac OS). My Radeon VII beats and breaks even my RTX 2080 ti in After Effects in Windows (a lot much and faster VRAM), and Davinci Resolve or Premiere the same result, no nvidia card can beat my Radeon VII. The RX 5700 XT has a similar performance, but when you need a lot of VRAM well the Radeon VII breaks any video card in the Market for long...

I don´t know where you get that information, but I had two workstations with windows (I use octane, red shift, Arnold RTX), and because of that I use Nvidia Video Cards because Radeon is not supported for that softwares, but in video editing the RX 5700 performs the same than a Nvidia Card, better in some cases Radeon, better in other cases Nvidia, but the Radeon VII breaks and beat any video card I have in video editing.

Maybe you think about Raytrace in After Effects? that **** is not supported a lof of years ago, there is ways to make it work in windows with CUDA, but is not worthed at all... I tried.

And until this time no Adobe Application can make use of the RT Cores, I think no video editing software, even After Effects I thinks is not using them, so... and I told you from my testing, no noticeable difference to be honest in video editing...

If you want to keep Mac OS, well buy a RX 5700 XT, I even edited 12K video!!! believe me in windows with premiere is almost impossible to edit that, even with my RTX 2080 ti with windows, but in mac os is totally posible with no caches, the render times is almost the same in windows and osx with the RX 5700 XT, but the editing experience is more soft and nice in OSX for long, and I told you I tested a long and a lot because I use this stations for living and work...

Is your choise but the only way you can know is testing man... I tested with a lot of video cards I have the luck that I can build any workstation I want to improve my work... and no noticeable difference, some cases Radeons Wins, in other cases Nvidias wins, depends what you are doing.

I have stations with windows for hard 3D and video editing but the last is not the main activity. I have my Hackintosh for hard video editing and 3D but the last in that ones is not the main activity. Because in my experience OSX has a lot better editing and soft video editing experience than windows for long... but you have to test it if you can...

@ArkaPro,

The situation with Adobe CC Apps on MacOS should improve significantly soon.

At the last Apple WWDC Adobe announced that they are optimising all CC Apps to use Apple's Metal 2 API on MacOS (Mojave & Catalina). The release was scheduled for December 2019 to co-inside with the launch of the new Mac Pro, however i think it has been pushed back to Q1 of 2020.

Adobe where not alone in that announcement .. companies such as Black magic, RED, Octane .. etc all announced that they would be releasing Metal 2 optimised apps in early 2020.

As @Raftrix86 details in his post above, if you need heavy duty GPU compute power in MacOS today, you can't go wrong with a AMD Radeon VII, its a compute monster.

Nvidia's high end RTX cards are optimised for gaming on Windows and will beat the Radeon VII in raw FPS in that sector, but for Apps that need compute power the Radeon VII is cheeper and in most applications quicker.

AMD are expected to release the High End Navi based GPU's mid 2020 which will be even more powerful and less power (TDP) hungry than the Radeon VII.

Cheers
Jay

Barefeats tested Macpro 2010 with AMD 5700 XT (newest OS X, Metal 2) against MacPro with NVIDIA Titan XP (old High Sierra OS X, lastest but old Mac CUDA) and also newest MacPro with AMD Dual runnning such Adobe 2020 tasks.
Even the Titan XP is high rated against AMD 5700 XT, at least under OS X no real benefit for the Titan - in his benches.

https://barefeats.com/mac-pro-2019-versus-2010-adobe.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back