Contribute
Register

nvidia-update - Simple way to install nVidia web drivers

Today I updated my High Sierra installation to the latest 10.13.6 and now this script doesn't work. Nvidia logo in the task bar shows that I'm using Nvidia drivers but I have zero acceleration and only 7mb graphics memory shown in "about this mac".. Any thoughts?

I just installed the latest Nvidia webdriver, reboot > works

GeForce 750Ti 2Gb

Worked perfectly last time I used it on Sierra.
Skipped High Sierra.
Tried Mojave 10.14.2
It works OK-ish with just Clover nVidia inject.

But decided to try the latest .113 web drivers anyway (even there would be no acceleration & in fact these drivers give nothing more)
But on reboot only get error and no display

Symbols are unresolved
Kext com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb failed to load (error 0xdc008016)

Seen same error mentioned here
Code:
h t t p : / / bbs_pcbeta_com/viewthread-1790691-1-1_html

Anybody has any ideas? (no problem if not)

I wonder if that is due to by the script for force installation?

https://i.postimg.cc/W4f9h5z1/IMG-1817.jpg

Last edited:
Today I updated my High Sierra installation to the latest 10.13.6 and now this script doesn't work. Nvidia logo in the task bar shows that I'm using Nvidia drivers but I have zero acceleration and only 7mb graphics memory shown in "about this mac".. Any thoughts?
Did you ever find a solution. IM in the same boat.

I was always able to get nvidia graphics working up to and including 10.13.6. However with the lack of support in Mojave I moved AMD last fall. I'd recommend to anyone struggling with nvidia to do the same. Its just so much easier having native support. I went with the
Sapphire 11265-09-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 4GB GDDR5 and have not regretted the switch.

This is literally what I recently did, I sold the 1070 and bought a Sapphire Vega 64, I was getting lag on the mouse and now it worked smoothly without issues.

I just did a clean install of 10.13.6 (moving up from Sierra), and the OS X native drivers were possibly not working well. I get these weird artifacts all over my screens. Unfortunately I somehow ended up with build 17G2208 of High Sierra, which was apparently intended for laptops. About to restart after running this script; hopefully the 387.10.10.10.40.118 driver will fix the issue, since NVIDIA will not be releasing a driver specifically for 17G2208.

About to restart after running this script; hopefully the 387.10.10.10.40.118 driver will fix the issue, since NVIDIA will not be releasing a driver specifically for 17G2208.
Update to the latest macOS High Sierra build 17G5019 - See here
Nvidia Web Driver available here.

I'm always booting into Default Graphics Driver despite choosing Web Drivers, no matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall the nVidia Driver manager, check kexts, set and unset graphics flags in my config file, etc. Tried the fixes on this thread. Did several clean, fresh installs of Sierra and High Sierra. And then it occured to me something so obvious I've not seen it discussed:

I use Unibeast to install MacOS on an internal SATA HDD. Windows 10 is on the boot disk, an internal NVMe SSD. (I intend to dual boot both on the SSD once I get my Mac OS install sorted out.) After install, I never use Multibeast to put Clover on the EFI partition of either the drives. I just boot into the Clover on my USB installation stick and then select the Mac partition on the internal HDD. I'm doing this because I'm still in "testing" stage and don't want to potentially wreck my Windows install as well.

Is booting from the USB stick what's causing problems? In one of my installation scenarios, I did use Multibeast after a fresh install, but wrote the EFI partition to the same drive as the MacOS. I probably should have written it to the boot drive (Windows SSD), but it did not show up as an option.

After Multibeast made the partition, I mounted it with Clover Configurator and copied the config.plist, UEFI drivers and kexts from the USB stick, since I know that combination will boot successfully. So once again, I had to boot to from the USB stick, and then chose the HFS partition with the MacOS on it. It started booting like it always does, but then I got the circle/slash "no" icon. Wasn't expecting that since that same config always works on the USB stick.

So should I just have Mulibeast write Clover to the EFI partition of my Windows boot drive and see what happens? I'm kind of running out of options.

Given the recent issues with official nVidia web driver releases (namely 387.10.10.10.25.156 and 387.10.10.10.25.157), I decided to put together a dead simple one-stop solution for updating to the latest reliable nVidia web drivers.

It's called nvidia-update and hopefully makes life easier for you guys.

https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

The script is open-source (MIT licensed) and pull requests are welcome.

It does the following:

• Checks for official driver updates for your version of macOS.
  • Cross-references against a list of blacklisted drivers, that it'll avoid installing (by default).
  • Properly uninstalls old drivers.
  • Downloads and installs the latest non-blacklisted drivers.
  • On-the-fly patches driver packages so they can be installed on your version of macOS (if necessary).
  • Patches drivers that you've already installed, if they no longer match your macOS version i.e. post macOS update.
The script has a fair few smarts to it, but is implemented more robustly/carefully than some of the alternatives out there. For example, instead of manually copying files to hard-coded paths, all installation and uninstallation takes place by running nVidia's package (.pkg) files; which install to the correct location and properly clean-up after themselves.

Execution

Simply paste the following line in a terminal:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

You can of course download/save the script to your computer if you prefer to, doing so gives you access to a couple of advanced options, but for normal use they're not required.

Clover / Boot Configuration

The script doesn't mess with any boot behaviour on your system, and Clover setup is left up to you. You'll likely want the following kernel extensions installed in your EFI Clover kext directory:

Great work! I first installed the nVidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.25.156 and i couldn't select 144hz refresh rate because that selection caused UI freeze. With this script now I am able to run my 144Hz G Sync monitor flawlessly with my GTX 1070.
Thank you so much!

Back