Contribute
Register

nvidia-update - Simple way to install nVidia web drivers

What kext files did you install? You have installed them to the right place, but most likely via the wrong method. Did you drag and drop the kext files? Or did you use kextbeast? If you drag and dropped them, then most likely they have the wrong permissions. You can fix permissions by reinstalling them using kextbeast.

Yep just drag/dopped them ! :)

These were the kexts I dropped: Lili / Shiki / NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Is it just file permissions or something "deeper" ?

I'll google KextBeast and see where that rabbit hole leads. :D

Thanks !

Edit:

I downloaded KextBeast and installed the beforementioned kexts under /System/Library/Extensions.
I then went a ahead and rebooted the machine, change the driver to NVIDA and rebooted again.

I still won't switch, but use the OS X Default Graphics Driver after reboot. :(

Any other kexts I need ? Any other reason it won't keep the NVIDIA driver after reboot ?

Last edited:
I am pretty darn confident that your problem is permissions via improper kext installation. I would be surprised if a proper install didn't fix it. If it doesn't fix it, at least you fixed one DEFINITE problem. Then you take it from there.

Yep I (as in my user) was the owner (naturally as I just dropped them). Deleted (needed sudo) and installed with KextBeast and that at least gave them the same owner as the rest of the bunch in the folder. They also have the same permissions as the rest of the kexts (drwxr-xr-x).

Still reverts back to the default drivers unfortunately.

hmmm. This might be beyond my expertise since I'm still kind of a newb too. And not familiar with the Z70. But Send me your clover config file and maybe I can spot something out of wack.

Now where would a REAL noob find this clover config file ? :D

Why are you installing kexts in /System/Library/Extensions?
The first post clearly says: "You'll likely want the following kernel extensions installed in your EFI Clover kext directory"
That is NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Lilu, Shiki in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

it really works.. for those who are facing windowserver ram leak issue in high sierra 10.13.3....

Given the recent issues with official nVidia web driver releases (namely 387.10.10.10.25.156 and 387.10.10.10.25.157), I decided to put together a dead simple one-stop solution for updating to the latest reliable nVidia web drivers.

It's called nvidia-update and hopefully makes life easier for you guys.

https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

The script is open-source (MIT licensed) and pull requests are welcome.

It does the following:

• Checks for official driver updates for your version of macOS.
  • Cross-references against a list of blacklisted drivers, that it'll avoid installing (by default).
  • Properly uninstalls old drivers.
  • Downloads and installs the latest non-blacklisted drivers.
  • On-the-fly patches driver packages so they can be installed on your version of macOS (if necessary).
  • Patches drivers that you've already installed, if they no longer match your macOS version i.e. post macOS update.

The script has a fair few smarts to it, but is implemented more robustly/carefully than some of the alternatives out there. For example, instead of manually copying files to hard-coded paths, all installation and uninstallation takes place by running nVidia's package (.pkg) files; which install to the correct location and properly clean-up after themselves.

Execution

Simply paste the following line in a terminal:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

You can of course download/save the script to your computer if you prefer to, doing so gives you access to a couple of advanced options, but for normal use they're not required.

Clover / Boot Configuration

The script doesn't mess with any boot behaviour on your system, and Clover setup is left up to you. You'll likely want the following kernel extensions installed in your EFI Clover kext directory:

Hello Benjamin,

Many thanks to you for this script and this work for the community.

This greatly facilitates the update and installation of Nvidia Web drivers.

No need to touch the SIP, or restart in recovery to put everything back in order, it's perfect, you made it easier.

Have a good day.

Queenmallory

Is it possible to choose which drivers we want to roll back to? I need to roll back to .104 because the latest Nvidia drivers have an issue where FCPX takes forever to render/export videos.

Do I need to have installed the blacklisted web drivers first before doing this? When I run the script, it downloads and installs 106 for me, but in the Nvidia driver manager, the box is checked for default macOS graphics driver. The option to change to nvidia is greyed out

installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 367.15.10.05f01
installer: Certificate used to sign package is not trusted. Use -allowUntrusted to override.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.42.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.42.04 AM.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 203
Back