Contribute
Register

nvidia-update - Simple way to install nVidia web drivers

If I wanted to go back to the previous version of the web drivers, how would I do that, just reinstall them?

If I wanted to go back to the previous version of the web drivers, how would I do that, just reinstall them?

The README I've published to Github suggests downloading the script to perform this action, however you can also do it like:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) REVISION

Where you'd replace REVISION with a particular driver version (e.g. 387.10.10.10.25.156) you'd like installed. This will circumvent the blacklist, so you're still able to install blacklisted drivers if you so desire.

Thanks that worked brilliantly, seems these (.156) work better on my system than the .106 drivers, they were horrible.

Just wanted to post and say THANKS! This worked perfectly for me. GTX 1080 with 17D47 High Sierra build. The latest NVIDIA drivers for my OS build were horrible and caused lots of performance issues / screen tearing and your solution downgraded my drivers and now they work great.

@benjamin.dobell A few more questions:
1. The script only uninstalls previous drivers if NVIDIA Driver Manager.prefPane is present? As far as I know, webdriver.sh doesn't install it.
2. Would you consider making a script for uninstalling CUDA? There is no official way of removing CUDA.

1. The script only uninstalls previous drivers if NVIDIA Driver Manager.prefPane is present? As far as I know, webdriver.sh doesn't install it.

The fact webdriver.sh just copies files rather than properly installing them from a package is one of the things I find undesirable about webdriver.sh. As a result the files therefore aren't correctly registered with the OS as they should be, meaning it's not easy to work out what has been installed and delete them.

nvidia-update on the other hand uses the official packages, you can therefore get a list of all the installed files with the following commands:

pkgutil --files com.nvidia.web-driver
pkgutil --files com.nvidia.nvprefpane

If in theory webdriver.sh were to install everything to correct locations, then the official packages (.pkg) used by nvidia-update (or installed manually) would simply overwrite everything webdriver.sh had previously installed, and it wouldn't really matter. However, as it turns out webdriver.sh does not install everything to the correct location. Specifically it installs files to /Library/GPUBundles, which is not somewhere recent official nVidia driver packages will try install themselves to (perhaps older packages did) . In my experience files left in this directory are responsible for the boot issues people run into when trying to install official driver packages after having previously installed drivers with webdriver.sh.

To account for this situation nvidia-update specifically manually deletes these incorrectly installed files in /Library/GPUBundles, irrespective of whether the NVIDIA Driver Manager uninstaller can be found.

2. Would you consider making a script for uninstalling CUDA? There is no official way of removing CUDA.

No, I have no plans to. However, nVidia already distribute an official uninstaller (perl) script for CUDA:

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-mac-os-x/index.html#uninstall

Last edited:
Just to make sure, this terminal command is performed after the 10.13.3 update before or after attempting to install .157?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.38.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.38.54 PM.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 187
Back