Contribute
Register

nvidia-update - Simple way to install nVidia web drivers

So there is no danger implementing this even if you don't put the suggested kexts in your EFI Clover kext directory? I'm not going to wind up with a black screen if implement this script without the kexts?

No, I wouldn't say that.

I suggest those kexts (well more-so NvidiaGraphicsFixup & Lilu, than Shiki) because they're one solution to ensure nVidia web drivers run properly on most systems. However, they're not the only solution, you may have manually modified other kexts, and it depends on your hardware / Clover configuration as well.

However, if you've already got some version of the web drivers running (by whatever means), then this script will update them to the latest reliable version; it won't mess with your Clover configuration - which still needs to be configured correctly for your system.

Yes I am already running .156 of the Web drivers and I didn't really notice any lagging until I setup my new 27' 4K monitor today, now it's intermittent and quite noticeable. Now I am wondering if I should get an AMD GPU, like an RX 550 to drive my three monitors, I understand they are natively supported now in HS.

Yes I am already running .156 of the Web drivers and I didn't really notice any lagging until I setup my new 27' 4K monitor today, now it's intermittent and quite noticeable. Now I am wondering if I should get an AMD GPU, like an RX 550 to drive my three monitors, I understand they are natively supported now in HS.

Well, I can't really make promises, as I know nothing about how the rest of your system is configured (and I'm not really in position to help in too much detail even if I did), however given you've got .156 working, I'd suggest giving the script a go. I'm presently powering 3 monitors off a GTX 1070, although none of them are above 1080P.

@ashman70 Hmm, I just saw you're running a I7 3770K. To my knowledge they're actually unaffected by the performance issues in .156/.157. However, that's not conclusive, just based on feedback that I've seen in other threads, ****** etc.

Please share your experience if you do decide to run the script and rollback.

So I ran the script, it installed version .106 things seem snappier for sure, time will tell, I'll report back either way. Thanks for this !!

Great I was sent this link to update my unflashed TITAN X card.

I am wary about how to proceed since the last time I updated via SYSTEM UPDATE
I got into the mess I was in……Security Update wiped out the webdrivers I was using and made them impossible to update as they were greyed out.

I had to completely reinstall everything.

So before I proceed.

Is it best to install the script you created?

Then update to the latest Apple Software that I need to go to to continue?

And it will help me how during this process?

Thank you so much…

The USAGE part was a bit dry or assumes you know TERMINAL.

Thanks

singleton

Thanks so much! Was running into a boot loop with a different method for downgrading and had to reinstall the laggy 157 driver. This worked perfectly. Kudos!

so did you use this on a laptop as well? because I have a similar situation where I had the GPU refurbished…and it only allows me to boot to 10.8.3 without any hassles..

anything up I get boot loops like you said…

So could this be a GPU driver issue?

My laptop is a MACBOOK PRO 17inch
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.18f5

Serial Number (system): W88241JXX94

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20D86C2

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3175

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

please excuse my asking but it was exactly what your problem sounded like so I wondered if this was a cure for this laptop too?

@makinworks The easiest way to execute the script is just to copy and paste the following one line into a terminal:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

However, the script only installs nVidia web drivers, it isn't necessarily going to help you get your system booting after upgrading. If you can't get your system booting without a graphics card (i.e. disabled in Clover), then installing the web drivers isn't likely to solve your boot problems.

I'd suggest following an install guide to get 10.13.3 up and running before worrying about the nVidia drivers. When it does come time to worry about your graphics card, install the 3 kexts I mentioned in my first post - if you're following a recent 10.13.3 install guide, they'll probably tell you to that anyway. Then you can use this script to install the nVidia web drivers.

Back