- Aug 10, 2017
- Gigabyte GA-Z170mx Gaming 5
- GTX 1080
- Mobile Phone
Does this work on 10.3.4?Given the recent issues with official nVidia web driver releases (namely 322.214.171.124.25.156 and 3126.96.36.199.25.157), I decided to put together a dead simple one-stop solution for updating to the latest reliable nVidia web drivers.
It's called nvidia-update and hopefully makes life easier for you guys.
The script is open-source (MIT licensed) and pull requests are welcome.
It does the following:
- Checks for official driver updates for your version of macOS.
- Cross-references against a list of blacklisted drivers, that it'll avoid installing (by default).
- Properly uninstalls old drivers.
- Downloads and installs the latest non-blacklisted drivers.
- On-the-fly patches driver packages so they can be installed on your version of macOS (if necessary).
- Patches drivers that you've already installed, if they no longer match your macOS version i.e. post macOS update.
The script has a fair few smarts to it, but is implemented more robustly/carefully than some of the alternatives out there. For example, instead of manually copying files to hard-coded paths, all installation and uninstallation takes place by running nVidia's package (.pkg) files; which install to the correct location and properly clean-up after themselves.
Simply paste the following line in a terminal:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)
You can of course download/save the script to your computer if you prefer to, doing so gives you access to a couple of advanced options, but for normal use they're not required.
Clover / Boot Configuration
The script doesn't mess with any boot behaviour on your system, and Clover setup is left up to you. You'll likely want the following kernel extensions installed in your EFI Clover kext directory:
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup
- Lilu - https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu
- Shiki - https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki