i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

It looks like gamers are so determined to have the latest cards for their gaming rigs that now there is a good supply, they keep paying these prices. New RTX cards start at about $700 for a 3060 and go well over $2000 for a 3080 Ti. Nvidia must like it that their customers now expect to pay a lot more so they'll just keep prices this high as long as there is demand. A sad situation.

8 of the top 9 selling cards on Amazon are RTX 3000 series. I would never pay $700 to $800+ for an entry level card like a 3060 that should cost $150 at most.

Screen Shot 20.jpg
Screen Shot 21.jpg

Unfortunately trying to get and maintain low GPU prices is not something we can control (as buyers). There are a lot of external factors to this, including the rising cost of global shipping due to a lack of empty containers, available working ships and a massive drought in Taiwan. Sure we can put off the odd GPU purchase but so long as scalpers and greedy sellers exist we buyers are screwed. I didn’t get my card for about 7 months and even then I paid almost double the MSRP when it was finally available. This year in particular has been bad for the semiconductor industry as a whole with shortages happening right across the industry from Japan & Taiwan to Europe and the US. Even the mighty Toyota who procures chip inventory in advance has had to slash its annual production to more than half its normal capacity.

Is the nVida situation relevant to Hackintoshes, since no nVidia drivers for MacOS are available beyond Pascal (10xx) level? Or am I wrong about that?
Some people dual boot with Windows and then use an RTX card for gaming or video editing in Windows. The Nvidia cards can be disabled when booting macOS.

It looks like gamers are so determined to have the latest cards for their gaming rigs that now there is a good supply, they keep paying these prices. New RTX cards start at about $700 for a 3060 and go well over $2000 for a 3080 Ti.
Not only gamers. I imagine some of these cards would be popular for bitcoin mining and similar applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back