Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Mountain Lion 10.8.1 Graphics Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you running 10.8?
Yes, 10.8.1 on GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5-2400, nVidia GT430 2GB and in MultiBeast I've enabled 2GB OpenCL Patch and OpenCL Enabler.
I can install the new drivers or to install it I must before remove something?

Yes, 10.8.1 on GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5-2400, nVidia GT430 2GB and in MultiBeast I've enabled 2GB OpenCL Patch and OpenCL Enabler.
I can install the new drivers or to install it I must before remove something?

Well with a hackintosh, it is ALWAYS a good idea to have a current backup and preferably a clone of your boot drive on a separate HDD/SSD.

I REALLY prefer to have a clone of my boot drive so that I can test out any sort of update on that disk first, before I try and install it on my primary system disk. That way if something goes wrong, I can just wipe the clone, re-clone my primary and then try it again, without having to worry about screwing up my functioning installation.

It doesn't mention anything about needing to uninstall anything, so you should just be able to install the update. You will probably need to re-do the OpenCL patch and OpenCL Enabler though and of course repairing permissions afterwards is always a good idea.

According to this, it does specifically address your card.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/221-new-nvidia-drivers-fix-glitchy-fermi-cards-mountain-lion.html

EDIT:

Of course 10.8.2 has just been released with new drivers as well. No word just yet on if they are different from the updated ones released for 10.8.1.

Hmmm... do these work with 10.8.2 or does nvidia need to release an update?

Hmmm... do these work with 10.8.2 or does nvidia need to release an update?

They don't, bad things WILL happen.

As I said when the issue on 10.8.0 appeared please be patient while new drivers are provided. In the meantime, just revert to 10.8.1 and enjoy your sleep.

What is the system definition you are using? The update does specify that it is for a MacPro3,1 or MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1. Have you tried changing your system definition to one of those?

Is this the proceedure you are referring to on the additional information tab of the driver update page?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html

To uninstall this driver and restore your original Mac OS X vv10.8.1 driver, follow the steps below:

STEP 1: During the installation process, a backup archive of your current drivers will be created. If for any reason you need to uninstall the 304.00.00f20 driver, the “NVIDIA Driver Restore.mpkg” is located in /Library/Application Support/NVIDIA.

IMPORTANT: Do not move this package from its default location. Doing so will invalidate the uninstall/restore process. Also, this process is only valid with Mac OS X vv10.8.1. Installing any newer version of the OS over this driver will also invalidate the uninstall/restore process.

STEP 2: After locating the NVIDIA Driver Restore.mpkg archive, double-click on the package. You will be guided through the driver restoration process. Click Continue after you read the Welcome screen.

STEP 3: Click Install on the Standard Installer screen. You will be required to enter an Administrator password to continue.

STEP 4: Click Continue Installation on the Warning screen: The Warning screen lets you know that you will need to restart your system once the installation process is complete.

STEP 5: Click Restart on the Installation Completed Successfully screen.

ALTERNATE METHOD – If for any reason you are unable to boot your system to the desktop and wish to restore your original Mac OS X vv10.8.1 driver, you can also do so from “Single-User” mode:

STEP 1: Restart your Macintosh computer and hold down the “Command” (apple) key and the “s” key to boot into “Single User” mode.

STEP 2: When the system finishes loading to a command prompt, type the command “NVIDIARecovery” (no quotation marks), and hit the “Return” key.

STEP 3: The 304.00.00f20 driver will be uninstalled and your original Mac OS X vv10.8.1 driver will be restored. The computer will then reboot automatically.

-v is just verbose mode. It has no effect on what happens when you boot, it just lets you know what is happening.

npci=0x3000 is a commonly required boot flag. It is perfectly normal for that to be required.

Have you tried re-installing OSX?

i boot with MacPro 3,1. and yes,this is the procedure. Re-install osx? why? with this choice i would lose all data, right? i have only timecapsule.
but what do u think about my problem?

i boot with MacPro 3,1. and yes,this is the procedure. Re-install osx? why? with this choice i would lose all data, right? i have only timecapsule.
but what do u think about my problem?

well,at the end i re-install Osx and after i restored only user account with Time Machine and i re downloaded all the programs. now it works fine when turned on, but when i try to install the new Nvidia driver gives me white screen at the beginning. I think the only thing to do is to wait for 10.8.2 to come out.

well,at the end i re-install Osx and after i restored only user account with Time Machine and i re downloaded all the programs. now it works fine when turned on, but when i try to install the new Nvidia driver gives me white screen at the beginning. I think the only thing to do is to wait for 10.8.2 to come out.

10.8.2 is out

Only as info:

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update breaks again the nVidia Drivers! This will give you again, Glitches, White Screen and all other known issues you had before.

Thankfully, a user called "vczilla" does a better job then Apple & nVidia together, and he found a workaround to fix this again. So, feel free to try the fix, till nVidia comes up again with new Drivers after reading our posts.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nvidia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-83.html (Post 822)

hope this helps

cheers

Only as info:

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update breaks again the nVidia Drivers! This will give you again, Glitches, White Screen and all other known issues you had before.

Thankfully, a user called "vczilla" does a better job then Apple & nVidia together, and he found a workaround to fix this again. So, feel free to try the fix, till nVidia comes up again with new Drivers after reading our posts.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nvidia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-83.html (Post 822)

hope this helps

cheers

nothing. this method freeze my mac. c'est la vie. thank you anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back