Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.11.5 (346.03.10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about. But to me, the R9 380 a little outdated. It consumes almost double of the power, is also noisy. The GTX 960 is silent in OS X, the fan does not rotate. The GTX 960 also has HDMI 2.0. But let's see. If there is no other way ...
Guy is talking about performance and stability, and you bring a low end card with 1024 CUDA cores? man there is bunch of laptop GPUs that already got more power then that one. Plus, even on high end NVIDIA with custom cooler GPUs the noise is 0 db because fans does not rotate and they got that HDMI 2.0, but even tho on OS X some R9 AMD cards shows unbeatable compatibility and OpenCL performance, so why not?

Last edited:
Don't know if it is this driver or the OS X update to 10.11.5 but since I updated I get every some minutes a short desync (monitor goes black for 1/10 s) and sometimes the display goes into sleep mode (like energy savings) for some seconds nand then is brigth again. Sometimes nothing happens for more than 15 minutes.
With 10.11.4 and the driver version before this problem never appeared.
Using a Gigabyte nVidia 750ti and an LG display (21:9) via Displayport.

Last edited:
Guy is talking about performance and stability, and you bring a low end card with 1024 CUDA cores? man there is bunch of laptop GPUs that already got more power then that one. Plus, even on high end NVIDIA with custom cooler GPUs the noise is 0 db because fans does not rotate and they got that HDMI 2.0, but even tho on OS X some R9 AMD cards shows unbeatable compatibility and OpenCL performance, so why not?

Sorry, but you tell nonsense. GTX 960 is not a low end card, but middle range graphic card. R9 380 Performance: 3DMark GPU Score: 11830, 190W. GTX 960 Performance: 3DMark GPU Score: 10370, 120W.
Only one mobile graphics card is better, the GTX 980M, 3DMark GPU Score: 11840.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+960/review

Compatibility is important, but not everything. Meanwhile, the CS compatibility is better (GPU off in Illustrator, and everything is OK). So in the end it's not worth it.

Sorry, but you tell nonsense. GTX 960 is not a low end card, but middle range graphic card. R9 380 Performance: 3DMark GPU Score: 11830, 190W. GTX 960 Performance: 3DMark GPU Score: 10370, 120W.
Only one mobile graphics card is better, the GTX 980M, 3DMark GPU Score: 11840.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+960/review

Compatibility is important, but not everything. Meanwhile, the CS compatibility is better (GPU off in Illustrator, and everything is OK). So in the end it's not worth it.
1. Sorry, you try to prove yourself with Windows based benchmark.
2. 3DMark 11 is known as its always on NVIDIA side not real world gaming, but still, all this is out of Mackintosh/Hackintosh area.
3. Guy says from his own experience (R9 380 got 4 points behind GTX 980ti in OS X Cinebench), do you know the difference between 980ti and 960 on this particular OS X benchmark?
4. The whole point here is to build as close as possible to a real mackintosh machine to get the benefits from wonderful applications made by Apple which always prefer AMD OpenCL over NVIDIA OpenGL.. (No gaming here, no 3DMark).
5. OS X can use from NVIDIA cards that CUDA cores to speed up video render and applied effects in some apps like those from Adobe, CUDA of NVIDIA is Shading Units on AMD, GTX 960 has 1024 CUDA cores and R9 380 has 1792 Shading Units, for OS X thats what makes some laptop GPUs even faster then GTX 960 because my old laptop GTX 680m had 1344 CUDA cores (again, for OS X its about CUDA computing or AMD OpenCL, not Windows 3DMark benchmark).
6. Guy said he swapped 980ti for R9 380 and you were there to bring a GTX 960, is that fair? Who tells (nonsense)?
7. I still consider the 960 low end card for 9 series cards because for now it goes like this: Titan X, 980ti, 980, 970, 960, 950.

Short: Please on OS X communication forget anything about 3DMark/gaming/windows because you give no point, and yes, compatibility and OpenCL are everything because Apple macs prefer OpenCL and our Hackintoshs prefer compatibility and OpenCL, AMD always wins on OpenCL, OpenGL of NVIDIA means nothing for OS X, but NVIDIA can be there a little bit with CUDA cores.

With all tat said, for OS X and NVIDIA the amount of CUDA cores matters, not Windows 3DMark.

A friendly advice, switch to a compatible AMD card if you need to bring good performance to your Hackintosh.

Last edited:
hello I do not speak much English well I have a problem after installing 11.10.5 el capitan I can not boot my gtx 960 4gb I get black screen help me

hello I do not speak much English well I have a problem after installing 11.10.5 el capitan I can not boot my gtx 960 4gb I get black screen help me
1. boot with nv_disable=1 and then install the latest NVIDIA web driver either from System Preference or manually download.
2. After installing, on boot replace nv_disable=1 with nvda_drv=1.

If the problem still there then you might need to use more friendly SMBIOS like iMac 14,2 or mac pro 5,1/3,1.. I don't know because it depends on hardware you using.

Last edited:
1. Sorry, you try to prove yourself with Windows based benchmark...

OK you are right, but:
You know why we buy these graphics cards anyway? For games under Windows. Almost everyone has apart from OSX Windows installed. For Windows games.
For OSX is so a card not necessary. Even Photoschop they not used. Believe me, I know what I say. Several Photoshop speed tests have proven it. I have no benefits measured in Photoshop with the GPU (GTX 960). Of course, no idea how this works with AMD. Actually maybe for someone who works with 3D or video a Powerful card is necessary.

I will not bore you long, but this card is middle, I did not so classified, but others who have more idea than I do. And have these chosen because it was recommended to get in this site. GTX 750 is "low".

It was important for me: power consumption, readiness for 4K monitor, price and reasonably well for games. Problems with CS were not known to me. Meanwhile, I can live with it. Turn off the GPU in Illustrator, and it goes. Do not be artifacts in PS, not crashes.
Therefore, it is already too late for change. Only when it issues in CS show in the next few weeks.
Just as I have seen as quickly there are problems with this AMD card. When Installaton. Is that correct?

OK, thanks for your info!

I also had such a problem. I got the computer with integrated graphics booted, walking away into the BIOS and the graphics card is switched to the PCI. Restart, and immediately the DVI cable is connected to the new card. Maybe this is the solution.
My English is also not so good;)

Just as I have seen as quickly there are problems with this AMD card. When Installaton. Is that correct?
R9 380 worked OOB for Yosemite but black screen on El Capitan, it still works with some modifications.

Till now the most of R9 280X brands are the sweetest OpenCL cards for Hackintosh and are working OOB, I don't know if it will be the same with the upcoming OS X 10.12 as there is no too much support from AMD to rely on, time will tell.

Im building second powerful Hackintosh only for OS X with mini GA-Z97N-Gaming 5, Intel Xeon and R9 290X, this card scores 12 seconds on BruceX test and thats damn fast :thumbup:

Last edited:
1. boot with nv_disable=1 and then install the latest NVIDIA web driver either from System Preference or manually download.
2. After installing, on boot replace nv_disable=1 with nvda_drv=1.

If the problem still there then you might need to use more friendly SMBIOS like iMac 14,2 or mac pro 5,1/3,1.. I don't know because it depends on hardware you using.
Hi,

I don't know if the solution is also for my problem ?
Got a GTX950. After update to 10.11.5, I arrived on the Finder with no problems.
The prefs panel tells me that my Nvidia driver is the OSX one (not the web one anymore).
As I downloaded the new one, I installed it, but at reboot, I got a blank screen.
The only way to get an image back is to boot in Safe mode in Clover, but this time, when I launch the prefs panel, although ther is the Nvidia icon, If I click on it, an error occures.
I used this install guide (accordingly to my motherboard ^^) : http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-ga-z170x-ud3.180618/

Thanks fully I made a CCC backup before updating OSX. I restored it since my atempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back