Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.11.1 (346.03.03)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having issues getting my [EVGA GTX 950] running under El Cap. Internal graphics are fine. I installed using Unibeast/Clover with no issues and installed the nVidia drivers per this thread and verified that they are up to date.

When I installed the GTX 950, the 6-pin to 2x molex conncetor it came with would not stay in the card, so I am using a 8-pin to 6+2 connector (but only using the 6) to the PSU (which came with the PSU). It (seems to) power up fine, but past the clover splash screen and then I get a kernel panic about 2/3 of the way through the boot sequence. The HDMI then goes "no signal."

Any help appreciated.

Edit, also tried nv_disable=1 or nvda_drv=1 with the same result. Here is the verbose output: http://imgur.com/QgEj1Er

Edit: FIXED!

Disabled onboard graphics in BIOS, booted with PCIRootUID=1, nvda_drv=1 and everything's good.

Edit 2: Realized I do not need PCIRootUID=1 or nvda_drv=1. However if my second monitor is connected via DVI, I get a KB on boot. I have to leave it disconnected until the login screen and then connect it.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using a real iMac (27" late 2012) with an i7 cpu and Nvidia 675MX 1go.

Although the need for a hackintosh build may be obvious, i've been wondering if I really get some performance improvements by switching to the nvidia drivers over the native OSX.
I'm on the last version of El Capitan, don't play games.

I 've run a few differents tests by switching drivers and rebooting (very convenient to do in the menubar) apart from one all results look the same..
I've also tried Lightroom and Photoshop which I use extensively for photo work (brushes, gradients, etc..) and here again no real change. In Lightroom there's a toggle to allow gpu but it's still beta I guess as I'm better off turning it off (brushing is quicker).

In the end, what about cuda drivers ? can they be installed on top on the nvidia ones, or instead ?

If anybody has some answers about what looks best (standard osx, nvidia, cuda or both?), i'll be happy to hear

Thanks !

Hi,

I'm using a real iMac (27" late 2012) with an i7 cpu and Nvidia 675MX 1go.

Although the need for a hackintosh build may be obvious, i've been wondering if I really get some performance improvements by switching to the nvidia drivers over the native OSX.
I'm on the last version of El Capitan, don't play games.

I 've run a few differents tests by switching drivers and rebooting (very convenient to do in the menubar) apart from one all results look the same..
I've also tried Lightroom and Photoshop which I use extensively for photo work (brushes, gradients, etc..) and here again no real change. In Lightroom there's a toggle to allow gpu but it's still beta I guess as I'm better off turning it off (brushing is quicker).

In the end, what about cuda drivers ? can they be installed on top on the nvidia ones, or instead ?

If anybody has some answers about what looks best (standard osx, nvidia, cuda or both?), i'll be happy to hear

Thanks !

CUDA can be used with either set of drivers. With the Web drivers you might see a 5-10% increase in performance.

Can same one tell me why is that
GTX670 is natively supported by OSX but what is really annoys me:
in idle on default GPU fan is 1050rpm 28% PWM
in idle on Nvidia drivers GPU fan is 870rpm 20% PWM

Fan support for me is more important then little boost over native drivers. Im wander why default does this and nobody noticed more noise and energy consumption yet :) it was the same on 10.9 and 10.11 now
Unless it is only on mine

in idle on default GPU fan is 1050rpm 28% PWM
in idle on Nvidia drivers GPU fan is 870rpm 20% PWM

So the fan spins slower with the WebDriver ? Sounds good to me ?!

Hey man i got a 980 ti and i have been finding webdriver / opencl error nonstop with the adobe suite, can you tell me if you fixed it?

Also, what operative system are u using?

Unfortunately there isn't a fix for that besides turning OpenCL off on Photoshop's setting or whatever Adobe app you are having issues with. I have found that various driver updates will either break it or fix it but it is very inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back