Status
Not open for further replies.
10.12.5 1050.png

And they work !

Specs:
Asus X99 E WS
i7 5820k
Gigabyte GTX1050

Use this way to run NVIDIA web drive on 10.12.5.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem5
The build number is 16F73 .
No need. The updated Nvidia driver was released Monday night at ~11:50pm Eastern Time (USA). Just update to 10.12.5 and, upon reboot, you'll get a Nvidia prompt to download and install the driver.

See tonymacx86's new sticky thread > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-5-378-05-05-15.222102/

Wait a minute...
Why is the h/w accelerated playback not working?
What do the NVidia drivers do differently to the drivers shipped by Apple?
When I was watching a blu ray with mpv a few days ago, everything was working as expected and it didn't really hit my CPU any harder than before with my HD 7950.
OK, please take all of this with a grain of salt as I am not a VDA/videotoolbox guru or anything, but:

The NVIDIA Maxwell and Pascal drivers don't pass on the information that macOS needs in order to correctly see the GPU as a candidate for video playback, and since it's been a very long time since There's been a NVIDIA card in a Mac, the acceleration that would be available is limited (no support for HEVC, for instance).

When I was using a Maxwell card I fiddled around with some of the injector kexts that were supposed to get HW acceleration working but it always failed since I think it was trying to put the card in undefined power states. The short version is that macOS doesn't seem to want to enable accelerated playback on anything but the GPUs that model shipped with.

If you have a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU and enable the IGPU in your system alongside your NVIDIA card, VDA/videotoolbox will attempt to use it as a video accelerator in "offline" mode, but this currently fails for unknown reasons. You can get QuickSync working but not video playback acceleration.

Luckily, this is only really a factor if you're playing high resolution and high bitrate HEVC videos. I tested the other evening and was able to play 4K 60fps H264 videos without slowdown but the HEVC versions maxed out my CPU and audio sync eventually broke.

The relevant discussions are here:
https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/issues/5
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/3653

Edit: I guess this thread is out of date, if a mod wants to move this post to the general nvidia drivers thread I don't mind

Last edited:
OK, please take all of this with a grain of salt as I am not a VDA/videotoolbox guru or anything, but:

The NVIDIA Maxwell and Pascal drivers don't pass on the information that macOS needs in order to correctly see the GPU as a candidate for video playback, and since it's been a very long time since There's been a NVIDIA card in a Mac, the acceleration that would be available is limited (no support for HEVC, for instance).

When I was using a Maxwell card I fiddled around with some of the injector kexts that were supposed to get HW acceleration working but it always failed since I think it was trying to put the card in undefined power states. The short version is that macOS doesn't seem to want to enable accelerated playback on anything but the GPUs that model shipped with.

If you have a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU and enable the IGPU in your system alongside your NVIDIA card, VDA/videotoolbox will attempt to use it as a video accelerator in "offline" mode, but this currently fails for unknown reasons. You can get QuickSync working but not video playback acceleration.

Luckily, this is only really a factor if you're playing high resolution and high bitrate HEVC videos. I tested the other evening and was able to play 4K 60fps H264 videos without slowdown but the HEVC versions maxed out my CPU and audio sync eventually broke.

The relevant discussions are here:
https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/issues/5
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/3653

Edit: I guess this thread is out of date, if a mod wants to move this post to the general nvidia drivers thread I don't mind

You are right. Yesterday I tested playback with mpv again and noticed, that my CPU utilization rises a bit.
I didn't notice it earlier as SVP can still use Pascal GPUs for accelerated frame interpolation.

Atm I don't really watch HEVC as long as YouTube won't support it.
Let's see if acceleration will work in the future or if Apple will hopefully announce some Mac with a current NVidia GPU.

Not working for me, anyway.
Does anyone report it to work correctly on MSI Z170M and Kaby Lake?

OMG! You guys caught me in a Senior moment! You are correct - I copied/pasted the wrong line from the MultiBeast Features document. I have corrected the OP. ("Dunno why this happened," he mumbled.)

So, the MultiBeast method for preserving NVRAM on some motherboards is:

Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <--- page 6, MultiBeast Features doc​

Thank you, iGV & mnsrit, for pointing this error out to me. :thumbup:

No problem :) It happens to the best of us. Meanwhile - I wanted to check back on this ...the bootloaders with emulated NVRAM worked like a charm! However, I still see the fact the resolution is still off no matter how I try - the top menu is completely cut off. Do I need to buy one of the monitors listed here in Tonymacx86 to make it work? I have tried the command line to force more options of resolution and used ScreenResX - no luck with either one.

Any thoughts?

System Preference > Displays pane > Default for display

The above should be checked. If it is, then click on Scaled to pick an appropriate resolution. If that doesn't solve the problem, open a separate thread in the Graphics forum section describing your problem.

working fine on GT 710 2Gb without any problem

Guys, please help!! I installed 10.12.4 Sierra on my PC but I cannot make my Nvidia 950 to work, I installed Nvidia web driver, but I cannot chose it as permanent. When I chose Nvidia it asks me to restart and after restart I go back to OSX driver. I tried to add Nvidia web to config.plist as recommended, also I tried to inject it in Nvidia in clover configurator. I installed CUDA but it says no gnu detected. I disabled the onboard VGA from bios by choosing PEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back