Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12.2 (367.15.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I buy a 950 or 1050? 1050 is cheaper oddly enough but if I have to wait a year for drivers it's not worth it

TBH 950 works quite well if you don't need to push the boundaries with heavy editing & gaming. If you are aiming for a production machine, 970/980s would definitely save you time on the rendering end.

TBH 950 works quite well if you don't need to push the boundaries with heavy editing & gaming. If you are aiming for a production machine, 970/980s would definitely save you time on the rendering end.

I do graphic design and music production, mostly need a card for my 4K monitor...HD 530 has no DP and my monitor only supports 30hz over hdmi

Does anyone know if these drivers support the older cards too? Apple removed support for the GTX 260 in the 10.12 native drivers. Right now limping along by using the 10.11 Kext and waiting to see what develops between Pascal and AMD support before I buy a new card.

I use gtx 260 on sierra with success. U Just need to replace nvdastartup.kext from El Capitan

I just updated from the app store with only minor issues.
The Nvidia web driver needed to be installed and then I had to choose my previous color profile.
Other than that, it worked.

I'm on 10.12.1 right now, with a 970 card. I haven't installed this nVidia driver update yet.

Can I install this update on 10.12.1, and then upgrade to 10.12.2 without having to reinstall the driver?

I ask because Stork's instructions (macOS 10.12.2 Update) specifically say to install the nVidia update *after* the OS update, and I'm wondering why that's required. If I do it that way, then I have to boot once under 10.12.2 without compatible video drivers for it, and I don't want to risk not having a working display.

I'm on 10.12.1 right now, with a 970 card. I haven't installed this nVidia driver update yet.

Can I install this update on 10.12.1, and then upgrade to 10.12.2 without having to reinstall the driver?

I ask because Stork's instructions (macOS 10.12.2 Update) specifically say to install the nVidia update *after* the OS update, and I'm wondering why that's required. If I do it that way, then I have to boot once under 10.12.2 without compatible video drivers for it, and I don't want to risk not having a working display.

It wont let you do it before, it needs to match the OS version.
It will boot in non accelerated mode without the driver and then should pop up asking to update it.

I installed the graphics update (unofficial) and my computer crashed before I got to installing the 10.12.2.
Maybe that's why stork advises otherwise?

As usual, I just screen shared in and carried remotely from MBP (on a real mac - no boot screen).

Bkendig, would you please run openglextensions viewer for me and hit test - tell me if you get diagonal glitches at all?

Last edited:
It wont let you do it before, it needs to match the OS version.
It will boot in non accelerated mode without the driver and then should pop up asking to update it.

Aha, thank you - so that's what the original post above means when it says "If you've installed the drivers before, you may get a notification to update to the new drivers from the built in System Preferences pane."

I thought the driver would update itself to the latest version even if you didn't update your macOS version. Instead, you're saying that each specific macOS version has a specific version of the driver for it, and that driver won't work with other macOS versions. Thank you - I can work with that (especially if it's nice enough to automatically prompt me to update the driver after I upgrade macOS).

Aha, thank you - so that's what the original post above means when it says "If you've installed the drivers before, you may get a notification to update to the new drivers from the built in System Preferences pane."

I thought the driver would update itself to the latest version even if you didn't update your macOS version. Instead, you're saying that each specific macOS version has a specific version of the driver for it, and that driver won't work with other macOS versions. Thank you - I can work with that (especially if it's nice enough to automatically prompt me to update the driver after I upgrade macOS).

That's exactly right. Each official release can only be installed on its intended OS version or build, unless you alter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back