Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 (387.10.10.10.35)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is anyone running 10.13.5 with these drivers on dual GTX cards and can confirm that OpenGL/CUDA are working?
Updated to 10.13.5, installed 387.10.10.10.35, and the result was no OpenGL–didn't even bother testing CUDA. Went back to patched 378.10.10.10.25.106. :(

I am, yes. Though I do have dual GPU but currently only running one monitor so i would have hoped it would be ok... everything was humming along beautifully with previous versions and also working with dual monitors.

is anyone running 10.13.5 with these drivers on dual GTX cards and can confirm that OpenGL/CUDA are working?

Dual GPU not working for me as well. I was happy that the latest drivers were working fine, but I realized that I was running one card. With two, I get the same issue with Chrome rendering and other weird graphically issues with games like Rocket League. CUDA seems to be working though. I was running a miner and it output the same good results. Reverted to 378.10.10.10.25.106 until the next driver is out.

Rolling back to 378.10.10.10.25.106 my 1080ti's fans now don't stop spinning once they activate. Once they start, they don't stop unless I power down. So annoying! My setup was working like a dream before 10.13.5 (17F77) ... :(

I'm on 10.13.4 and my system with a geforce 1060 is running great. I'm thinking I'll skip this update for now

Another interesting bit: When I run Sierra and fire up Octane, I have >4GB of free VRAM on my 980Tis.
On High Sierra, free VRAM drops to less than 2GB. That makes rendering large scenes impossible.
Wondering, if Metal 2 screws up everything here...

Another interesting bit: When I run Sierra and fire up Octane, I have >4GB of free VRAM on my 980Tis.
On High Sierra, free VRAM drops to less than 2GB. That makes rendering large scenes impossible.
Wondering, if Metal 2 screws up everything here...

It's not Metal that's the issue - it's that there's a huge VRAM memory leak issue with nVidia drivers and macOS. This is the reason why I dumped nVidia and moved to AMD.

Anyone who says nVidia drivers are fine to this day is losing their mind. They are either using their computer for simple things like browsing or social media.

Also remember that macOS Sierra 10.12.6 worked fine with nVidia. Apple made many changes to High Sierra and nVidia doesn't care to update.

I was using Octane as well along with Premiere Pro and Resolve with CUDA, but the memory leaks made it impossible to work.

The memory just fills up and macOS becomes unusable unless you restart, and then it will just fill up again.

Apple moved to Metal for the WindowServer in High Sierra and made major under the hood graphical changes by adding eGPU support and other things. nVidia just didn't keep up or optimize their drivers for High Sierra. This is why nVidia calls them "unofficial drivers."

I suggest you dump nVidia and move to AMD like I did. I don't have to worry about waiting for drivers every update with the Vega FE.

If you really want to use Octane with your 980Ti, either boot into Windows and use it on the same machine, or build a 2nd machine with nVidia GPU only and keep your Hackintosh with AMD.

Also FYI Otoy is working on a Metal version of Octane so AMD will be supported under macOS in a few months (most likely late Q4 of 2018).

It's not Metal that's the issue it's that there's a huge VRAM memory leak issue with nVidia drivers and macOS. This is the reason why I dumped nVidia and moved to AMD.

Anyone who says nVidia drivers are fine to this day is losing their mind. They are either using their computer for simple things like browsing or social media.

Also remember that macOS Sierra 10.12.6 worked fine with nVidia. Apple made many changes to High Sierra and nVidia doesn't care to update.

I was using Octane as well along with Premiere Pro and Resolve with CUDA, but the memory leaks made it impossible to work.

The memory just fills up and macOS becomes unusable unless you restart and then it will just fill up again.

Apple moved to Metal for the WindowServer in High Sierra and made major under the hood graphical changes by adding eGPU support and other things. nVidia just didn't keep up or optimize their drivers for High Sierra. This is why nVidia calls them "unofficial drivers."

I suggest you dump nVidia and move to AMD like I did. I don't have to worry about waiting for drivers every update with the Vega FE.

If you really want to use Octane with your 980Ti, either boot into Windows and use it on the same machine, or build a 2nd machine with nVidia GPU only and keep your Hackintosh with AMD.

Also FYI Otoy is working on a Metal version of Octane so AMD will be supported under macOS in a few months (most likely late Q4 of 2018).

I agree. The NVIDIA drivers are more like pre-alpha.
My 10.12.3 system runs fine as opposed to the 10.13.4 installation. Not sure if the problem is NVIDIA or Apple here. The memory problem occurs right after booting. not much time for leaking. And as for AMD or Windows: Not really an alternative for me. Win10 is still a clunky piece of ugly software I use only if I really have to.
And my trust in Otoy delivering an AMD version: For how long have we been hearing this from him. They demoed it on an iMac last year and there is not even a beta in sight so far. And once it's out who knows how stable it will be.

Edit: Looking at the NVIDIA GeForce forum it looks like it's even worse under Windows
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back