Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

I still got the lag issue with the latest drivers and the latest `NvidiagraphicsFixup` that is supposed to fix this issue, BUT after enabling SIP completely Im getting a butter smooth experience! 3440x1400 at 100hz with my monitor. I thought I should share this. It would be interesting is someone else can confirm.

I am using latest Nvidia drivers, latest lilu kext and nvidia fixup kext with my 980 ti on fresh 10.13.4 installation and things are well until the screensaver kicks in or the system turns off the displays because of idle time. When I log in after that, the system is extremely laggy when it comes to graphics - even windows dragging looks like 1fps. Any ideas?

Another separate issue is that the system is unable to survive a night of sleep - every morning I find it with one monitor turned off, one turned on but displaying black and full speed fans on GPU (I think), not reacting to mouse, keyboard - only reset and normal boot fixes it. Testing sleep/wake on short periods works fine, the machine wakes up just fine. Again, any ideas?

GA Z170m-d3h
Nvidia 950
iMac 17,1

Running perfectly with latest Nvidiagraphicscleanup + Lilu with latest NVIDIA drivers. Google Chrome finally working without any hacks.

My thanks to the community that makes this possible.

System has been up and running for a couple of days. And thank you to everyone for your input, advice and support. I was nervous about implementing the changes (thought I would break something). However, things are looking well. There are a few hiccups, but overall things are working well:

Using latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext
SYMBIOS: iMac 17,1
Nvidia 1060 6gb
i7 6700
Gigabyte z170X-UD3
Nvidia Driver version: 387.10.10.10.25.61 (says Up to date)
CUDA Driver version: 387.178
(I've attached my config.plist and "Other" kexts folder

FCPX seems to be running pretty well. Other videos look great.

The few issues I have are during boot up or wake from sleep, the screen flashes several times (in 5 second intervals ) for about 20-30 seconds before I'm able to enter my login info. And once in a while, my wireless kb and Magic Mouse aren't able to be connected. So I have to use a wired one, and re-pair the BT mouse and kb. Other than that though, things are running very well.

I've seen a few bench mark tests I'd like to try as well. Any recommendations? (I'm not able to find that water test or know what test to use for Google Chrome).

Thanks again...

Rodney

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Other copy.zip
    949.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I can confirm that the new releases of the kexts work well, with one major exception: chromium/electron/chrome, which are impossibly slow on my system, forcing me to use `--disable-gpu` for those apps. If anyone has any info (or, even better, a remedy) for this, please share.

I can confirm that the new releases of the kexts work well, with one major exception: chromium/electron/Chrome, which are impossibly slow on my system, forcing me to use `--disable-gpu` for those apps. If anyone has any info (or, even better, a remedy) for this, please share.
Exactly the opposite here - Chrome/Electron apps were painfully sluggish and laggy before latest patches. Now Chrome is the fastest thing on earth :) Slack isn't fast by nature but the performance improvement is drastic here. I was using all those with `--disable-gpu` before the kext patches. Now everything is on and is running pretty well.

Exactly the opposite here - Chrome/Electron apps were painfully sluggish and laggy before latest patches. Now Chrome is the fastest thing on earth :) Slack isn't fast by nature but the performance improvement is drastic here. I was using all those with `--disable-gpu` before the kext patches. Now everything is on and is running pretty well.

Interesting. Care to provide some more info about your configuration? smbios system identifier (e.g. iMac 18,3), kext location, other relevant kexts, config.plist, nvidia driver version etc. might help me figure this out. Thanks!

Interesting. Care to provide some more info about your configuration? smbios system identifier (e.g. iMac 18,3), kext location, other relevant kexts, config.plist, nvidia driver version etc. might help me figure this out. Thanks!
Sure :) I'm using iMac17,1 definition, kexts in L/E (kept those here as I used Multibeast for installation and it seems like it places them in L/E)
Code:
ACS6x.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
AppleALC.kext
ArcMSR.kext
CUDA.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
Dropbox.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
FakeSMC.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
GeForceTeslaWeb.kext
GeForceWeb.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NVDAGF100HalWeb.kext
NVDAGK100HalWeb.kext
NVDAGM100HalWeb.kext
NVDAGP100HalWeb.kext
NVDANV50HalTeslaWeb.kext
NVDAResmanTeslaWeb.kext
NVDAResmanWeb.kext
NVDAStartupWeb.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
RazerHid.kext
SoftRAID.kext

Attached is my config.plist, using Nvidia web driver 387.10.10.30.103 along with NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.2.6 + Lilu 1.2.3. Might worth to mention that I enabled emulated NVRAM with Multibeast and removed all boot params for graphics drivers - followed this guide here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-10-13-4-387-10-10-10-30.249039/#post-1718752
I've been experiencing the Chrome slowness for the last year or so, was using it without hardware acceleration. After latest kext patches the problems magically disappeared :). Ping me if you need something more. The hardware added to my profile is accurate in case you need it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.2 KB · Views: 204
slightly related question - do you really need CUDA for Photoshop or InDesign?
Does not seems like it is need for static images tooling tough. It's really odd to see it working without CUDA since Nvidia made it clear that it shouldn't work.
Anyway: PS, Ai, Id, Lr and others, seems exactly the same with or without CUDA.

Now, Premiere and After Effects seems to lose a little when using 3D rendering and multi-camera environment. If you don't use video editing nor animation, you're fine with or without CUDA

Not true. CUDA is also used if you want to mine Zcash, or bitcoin on your Mac.
Yes, I agree. I was just pointing for the Adobe thing :)
Of course CUDA is needed for a bunch of other stuff, but for some adobe apps, doesn't seem to affect performance that much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back