Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think I did say too early.

New problem today: when using illustrator or other heavy workload GPU apps, screen begun to show big black squares and blinking all the time

The issue does not happen with games, tough

Anyone knows any fix to this problem?
Images attached below
These look like overheating artefacts, any way for you to check/monitor your GPU temperatures and/or verify the behaviour under Windows?

These look like overheating artefacts, any way for you to check/monitor your GPU temperatures and/or verify the behaviour under Windows?

That's what I was thinking about. But under Windows, everything went fine. No artefacts neither slowness even with 4 adobe programs opened and running.

Then I thought that it would be related to the new driver, so I checked my GPU and the vents still running normally.
I think that's where it is tricky, cause maybe they should run at more rpm when using this kind of app, but they are running normally, like when I'm doing normal stuff.

Do you know any reliable app to check my GPU's temperature?

That's what I was thinking about. But under Windows, everything went fine. No artefacts neither slowness even with 4 adobe programs opened and running.

Then I thought that it would be related to the new driver, so I checked my GPU and the vents still running normally.
I think that's where it is tricky, cause maybe they should run at more rpm when using this kind of app, but they are running normally, like when I'm doing normal stuff.

Do you know any reliable app to check my GPU's temperature?
FakeSMC comes with the app HWMonitor. It can monitor all kinds of system temps and fan speeds, but you need to make sure you install all the kexts it comes with for all the features to work.

FakeSMC comes with the app HWMonitor. It can monitor all kinds of system temps and fan speeds, but you need to make sure you install all the kexts it comes with for all the features to work.

I just tested it here in HWMonitor and the temperature seems always between 33º and 40º degrees ( around 90º F ). So I am thinking that or my GPU's fans are not working properly or it's something with the driver.

Just now my Mac just restarted after I started a few minutes of work at Illustrator. I know it seems heating problems, but my HWMonitor doesn't show anything wrong.

Any ideas? I'm really helpless on this one

Thank you guys for all your support

I've had AMD cards (Vega 56, RX 580) because of their promise of 'OOB' functionality, but neither of them worked really well, all had issues, so I've borrowed 980ti to see if these are any better. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with Pascal card.

I do not know about RX580, but I have an RX560 in a Z170 system and it works perfectly fine. Fluid and all. RX580 shouldn't be any different, actually better since it's a higher end card.

I have a Vega FE (same as Vega 64 + Extra 8GB HBM2 VRAM) and it works perfect on my X299 workstation.

Both of these work 100% better than the 980Ti Hybrid I had in the Z170 system (and previous tests on the X299) before in High Sierra.

Yeah, I think I did say too early.

New problem today: when using illustrator or other heavy workload GPU apps, screen begun to show big black squares and blinking all the time

The issue does not happen with games, tough

Anyone knows any fix to this problem?
Images attached below

Do you have CUDA from nVidia installed?

I used to have glitches with Adobe apps + nVidia when CUDA was installed.

Delete the following:

Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA/Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA/

Note: /System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
This CUDA.kext may reside somewhere else on the system. It might be in /Library/Extensions.

Search your system and delete it.

If you installed the tookits and samples, delete the following also:

Code:
/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0
/usr/local/cuda

Restart your computer and do the test again.

I also recommend you completely remove those monitoring kexts that come with FakeSMC and only keep FakeSMC. They are buggy.

Do you have CUDA from nVidia installed?

I used to have glitches with Adobe apps + nVidia when CUDA was installed.

Delete the following:

Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA/Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA/

Note: /System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
This CUDA.kext may reside somewhere else on the system. It might be in /Library/Extensions.

Search your system and delete it.

If you installed the tookits and samples, delete the following also:

Code:
/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0
/usr/local/cuda

Restart your computer and do the test again.
Yes, I do have.

I'll give your idea a try, since I'm desperate hahahaha

If it goes well ( or not ) I'll give feedback

Be right back

Because I can use them on my GTX 9xx series cards w/o any problems, like others with the same cards. Additionally, it appears to be a Skylake and newer system problem for the GTX 10x0 cards.
I have a Haswell system with the problem.

I'm really glad that the latest NVIDIA and CUDA drivers, and my 1080 Ti are running better than any install I've had in four years. When I bought my 1080 Ti it was no contest, but now I'd be happy with Vega 64. I have no bias for AMD or NVIDIA, I just want to get the job done. There's no question that if FCPX is your mainstay, AMD is best. Benchmarks are only benchmarks, but these aren't bad. The tests L to R are CUDA, OpenCL, Metal.
macOS 10.13.4 (17E199) HIGH SIERRA — 15,1 iMac
NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.30.103 and CUDA 387.178 — EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.25.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.28.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 4.17.21 PM.png

So I've been staying with 10.13.3 this whole time due to these lag reports. Today experimented with updating my backup clone drive to 10.13.4. After updating and installing the updated NVIDIA driver .103 through the preference pane I was shocked at how unusable the machine was. However I can report that on my Z170 6700K setup, that dropping those two files, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext version 1.2.5 and Lilu.kext version 1.2.3 into EFI/Clover/Kexts/other/ seems to have restored normal functioning. Not confident enough yet to update my main drive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back