Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you have to adapt....but isn't that ALWAYS what you have to do with computers? You always have to deal with new equipment, drivers that work sometimes, but not others, and sometimes not at all. I would remind you of our adventures with the 10GBE cards......that got fixed, didn't it? So, it can be done.

But Graphics cards aren't forever, and in a year, I may not have the 1080 TIs because something else will come around....in my view, there is no permanancy in what you buy, unless you're buying a real Mac.

The thing is, the last three releases of the Nvidia web drivers have all caused a considerable number of people lag and I lost confidence in Nvidia being able to release good drivers any time soon.

Meanwhile, AMD cards have been working better with each new macOS release. With 10.13.4, RX 500-series and Vega cards run without any extra kexts, patches, etc. I am far more confident in Apple making AMD cards work right than Nvidia releasing good drivers.

The 10GBase-T cards were different. I bought that knowing it may not work and was just experimenting. At $100, it was a small gamble. With these graphics cards, we easily shell out over $700 or more. It's a much bigger gamble/investment. I don't feel it's wrong for buyers to expect working drivers.

Of course, nothing lasts forever and these things eventually become obsolete, but with the Pascal cards, we are talking about current generation. Plus, with the current surge in prices of video cards, I can easily see people sticking with a card a bit longer than they would under normal circumstances.

I am far more confident in Apple making AMD cards work right than Nvidia releasing good drivers.

And, based on our experiences with the 10GBE I am far less confident in Apple continuing to allow what are actually third party cards to work on macOS. Given that they intentionally setup a utility in 10.13.4 to identify 10GBE cards that worked in 10. 13.3 and were virtually identical to the 10GBE card in the iMac Pro, but not completely identical, they identified them and subsequently disabled them. So, why wouldn't they do that to the Vegas? Or the RX580s? Those aren't native to Mac hardware.

But you may have a point there because Apple seems enamored with AMD right now.....but remember, that could change....And, you're right, Nvidia should produce working drivers rather than the crap they've put out just recently. But I'm not married to Nvidia, and will change if and when I need.

So fine, each to his own. I'll stay with my 1080 TIs for the next year, and then we'll see. Nvidia might actually release a driver that works for the bulk of this community. But then again, they may not. We'll see....

Last edited:
And, based on our experiences with the 10GBE I am far less confident in Apple continuing to allow what are actually third party cards to work on macOS. Given that they intentionally setup a utility in 10.13.4 to identify 10GBE cards that worked in 10. 13.3 and were virtually identical to the 10GBE card in the iMac Pro, but not completely identical, they identified them and subsequently disabled them. So, why wouldn't they do that to the Vegas? Or the RX580s? Those aren't native to Mac hardware.

But you may have a point there because Apple seems enamored with AMD right now.....but remember, that could change....And, you're right, Nvidia should produce working drivers rather than the crap they've put out just recently. But I'm not married to Nvidia, and will change if and when I need.

So fine, each to his own. I'll stay with my 1080 TIs for the next year, and then we'll see. Nvidia might actually release a driver that works for the bulk of this community. But then again, they may not. We'll see....

Don't get me wrong. I really want Nvidia's cards to work right. I like their lower TDP and feel they offer more bang for the buck. In fact, I've pretty much used Nvidia cards exclusively for more than a decade before switching to my current Vega 56. But as of today, I can't in good conscience recommend Nvidia to users intending to run them in macOS having experienced the lag first hand.

As for the 10GBase-T card. Yeah, that doesn't look promising. Fortunately, I already had a modded Intel X540-T2 card. I replaced my AQC107 on the macOS 10.13.4 release day with it.

Don't get me wrong. I really want Nvidia's cards to work right. I like their lower TDP and feel they offer more bang for the buck. In fact, I've pretty much used Nvidia cards exclusively for more than a decade before switching to my current Vega 56. But as of today, I can't in good conscience recommend Nvidia to users intending to run them in macOS having experienced the lag first hand.

As for the 10GBase-T card. Yeah, that doesn't look promising. Fortunately, I already had a modded Intel X540-T2 card. I replaced my AQC107 on the macOS 10.13.4 release day with it.

My 10GBE Aquantia card works just fine with the patch, as it works for many others.....I have a list of successful implementers of the patch if you want....The native chip in the iMac Pro is Aquantia, not Intel..... it would be so very easy for Apple to identify that Intel card and disable it......

Last edited:
Are you saying someone has 10.13.4 running on a Pascal graphics card properly with the latest drivers? I've not seen a single report of this working without downgrading drivers. I cannot even downgrade as my machine glitches and freezes after waking from sleep with the older *.104 drivers.

Yeah, that would be me. I'm running a GTX 1060 on a Kaby Lake system under 10.13.4 and am NOT having any lag with the current drivers like I was with 10.13.3 and the .25.161 driver.

My 10GBE Aquantia card works just fine with the patch, as it works for many others.....I have a list of successful implementers of the patch if you want....The native chip in the iMac Pro is Aquantia, not Intel..... it would be so very easy for Apple to identify that Intel card and disable it......

Yes, I saw the patch you posted and have it in my config.plist already. The Intel card I'm currently using is modded to use Small Tree drivers.

What is this kext and what does it do? I've never seen it.

Sorry of course i meant AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext. I just messed up the names. There the board-id is merged with config sets, which have to be corrected for Retina Mac SMBIOS usage.

NvidiaGraphicsFixup just added a workaround for the UI lags in v1.2.5. am using the 161 driver and am getting no lag. Also with the new kext, even though am using 0x19120001 am seeing the 530 on my system information alongside my 1070. lol I mean I gained higher GT Ghzs so am not complaining lol. EDIT: forgot to say am still in 10.13.3 but am guessing it will work for 10.13.4

NvidiaGraphicsFixup just added a workaround for the UI lags in v1.2.5. am using the 161 driver and am getting no lag. Also with the new kext, even though am using 0x19120001 am seeing the 530 on my system information alongside my 1070. lol I mean I gained higher GT Ghzs so am not complaining lol. EDIT: forgot to say am still in 10.13.3 but am guessing it will work for 10.13.4
They've also added a patch to ignore NVDARequiredOS. Happy days.

Add boot argument:

Code:
ngfxcompat=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back