Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have an itx motherboard, so only one PCIe slot...

Ok, then I guess the problem is specific to my hardware... It's gonna a bitch to find the culprit!

There are a few options to check the actual speed:
http://www.macvidcards.com/50-pcie-speed1.html
on my system OpenCL OceanWave & Benchmark and Cuda-Z show speed is 12GB/s.

upload_2018-4-23_19-55-28.png

upload_2018-4-23_19-56-37.png

Is there anyway to check what drivers you were running before updating? After installing the latest drivers my displayport audio didn't work. It's not a huge deal for me, because I have a sound system hooked up to my computer, but if I'm just listening to a podcast I feel like I'm wasting energy turning my system on. Thanks!

Edit: My past drivers were working perfectly, so I would rather just roll back to those exact ones rather than going one by one trying to find out exactly which one works with my audio.

Is there anyway to check what drivers you were running before updating? After installing the latest drivers my displayport audio didn't work. It's not a huge deal for me, because I have a sound system hooked up to my computer, but if I'm just listening to a podcast I feel like I'm wasting energy turning my system on. Thanks!

Edit: My past drivers were working perfectly, so I would rather just roll back to those exact ones rather than going one by one trying to find out exactly which one works with my audio.
No audio due to changes in 10.13.4 not NVIDIA's drivers, so unless you are going to roll back to 10.13.3 you'd better look in the audio forum for a solution.

Ok, x16 on my system but that is no guarantee that speed is 5Gb/sec.
There is an app to check this but I can't remember which one.
Check the speed by examining the PCIe registers.

First, install pciutils from https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils

Then the following command will show the current link speed and width (change the root port to be the bus:device of your graphics card).
Code:
rootport=00:5
linkstatus=$(sudo setpci -s $rootport CAP_EXP+12.w); echo '# Before: PCIe' $(( 0x$linkstatus & 15)).0 x$(( 0x$linkstatus >> 4 & 31))

More info at:

Try the pcitree.sh command to list all devices and their max -> current speeds.

I'll tell you what worked for me: I use AppleALC and HDMI audio (via a customized .aml file), and of course, I am using Nvidia. So with the upgrade to 10.13.4, my HDMI audio stopped working. To fix that, I needed to roll back the AppleHDA to the 10.13.3 version as opposed to the 10.13.4 version (they are different). Once I did that, my HDMI audio was fine again. Can't say that will work for you, but it did work for me.

From a post by Toleda: See AppleHDA HDMI Audio/Post #2

Last edited:
No audio due to changes in 10.13.4 not NVIDIA's drivers, so unless you are going to roll back to 10.13.3 you'd better look in the audio forum for a solution.

Hmm I think I'm just an idiot and I'm not sure how my audio broke actually. I found a change log online and it said there has only been one driver for 10.13.4 I was definitely on 10.13.4 and I thought I upgraded my drivers. I might just be going crazy...

I'll tell you what worked for me: I use AppleALC and HDMI audio (via a customized .aml file), and of course, I am using Nvidia. So with the upgrade to 10.13.4, my HDMI audio stopped working. To fix that, I needed to roll back the AppleHDA to the 10.13.3 version as opposed to the 10.13.4 version (they are different). Once I did that, my HDMI audio was fine again. Can't say that will work for you, but it did work for me.

From a post by Toleda: See AppleHDA HDMI Audio/Post #2

Like I said above I'm not really sure if I actually updated my drivers now, because it looks like there has only been one release and I've been on 10.13.4 for a while. It's strange my HDMI still works, but my Displayport doesn't. I'll try messing around with what you suggested this weekend. Thanks for the post!

There are a few options to check the actual speed:
http://www.macvidcards.com/50-pcie-speed1.html
on my system OpenCL OceanWave & Benchmark and Cuda-Z show speed is 12GB/s.

View attachment 327389

View attachment 327390

Thanx for the tips ! So I can't use Cuda-Z because i don't have any Cuda driver installed, but Oceanwave gives me that :
bench.jpeg

What do you think?

Check the speed by examining the PCIe registers.

First, install pciutils from https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils

Then the following command will show the current link speed and width (change the root port to be the bus:device of your graphics card).
Code:
rootport=00:5
linkstatus=$(sudo setpci -s $rootport CAP_EXP+12.w); echo '# Before: PCIe' $(( 0x$linkstatus & 15)).0 x$(( 0x$linkstatus >> 4 & 31))

More info at:

Try the pcitree.sh command to list all devices and their max -> current speeds.

I installed the stuff, but when I try any command I receive an error, so I guess I missed something, most likely in this part : "Then append /usr/local/sbin to the file /etc/paths".....

I'm wondering if the Nvme drive I have in the M.2 is not responsible for this PCIe problem....

Finally, the latest 30.106 drivers solved almost all issues. But is there a fix for electron (chrome based) apps like discord (and probably atom and slack)?

This apps works very bad, have glitches and I even can't see UI on the discord. Instead of UI, I see garbled elements.

I installed the stuff, but when I try any command I receive an error, so I guess I missed something, most likely in this part : "Then append /usr/local/sbin to the file /etc/paths".....
Hard to say without seeing the error or what you did to the /etc/paths file or what's in the /usr/local/sbin directory.

Finally, the latest 30.106 drivers solved almost all issues. But is there a fix for electron (chrome based) apps like discord (and probably atom and slack)?

This apps works very bad, have glitches and I even can't see UI on the discord. Instead of UI, I see garbled elements.
Discord was very slow (trying to switch between servers and channels) before 30.106 with my Titan X (Maxwell). Now everything is lag free (Safari, two instances of WoW, Discord, Twitch, iTunes, using Command Tab, etc.). I haven't tried the computer with the 1070 (Pascal) recently though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back