Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only difference, that I can tell, in IOJones (Alternative to IORegistryExplorer) between 25.106 and 30.103 is the addition of
"attached-gpu-control-path" properties with 30.103.

Card 1:
View attachment 323913
Card 2:
View attachment 323914

attached-gpu-control-path is a service from AppleACPIPlatform.kext, which has something to do with PCI ports, so I tried every combo of PCIRootUID=0, PCIRootUID=1, npci=0x2000, and npci=0x3000 without any luck of getting OpenGL to work with dual cards. Same goes for 25.161 with NvidiaGraphicsFixup v1.2.5. Going back to 25.106 with my head hung in shame.
Try AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Plugins/AppleGPUWrangler from 10.13.3?

I really appreciate the feedback PastryChef. I'm going to review this over the next few days and get it sorted out. As I had asked someone earlier, would you recommend fixing what I currently have or just do a new, clean install?

The other issue is investing more money into a new card. Especially since I can't return this one (beyond the refund period) and I like the fact that it works well with Adobe and Blender (with the OpenGL/CUDA).

Alll the things I listed can be changed without a clean install. I think the only the only thing that would necessitate a clean install is if you don't know where you installed stuff.

Try the latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and see if it fixes your problems.

NvidiaGraphicsFixUp 1.2.5 works flawlessly in my hardware.
No more stutter or freezing on the system.

I'm glad that someone really cares about it, 'cause Nvidia is letting me down a lot lately

I have been affected by lag issues with the nvidia driver and have been using 25.106 since that worked "ok". Earlier today I installed Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext_10.13.4_Lag_Fix

Based on preliminary testing I can say that my lag issues are GONE!! :) Im so happy now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Much appreciated IronWood. I'll be reviewing these links over the next few days. Would you recommend starting from scratch or make the adjustments as needed with my current setup? (or is the answer in the articles?) ;)
I don't think it's necessary for you to start over. I know that at some time during Sierra or the transition to High Sierra I decided to reformat one SSD and try to make a clean test install to see if I could get everything right. At no time did I want that to become my working partition because I did not want to have to reinstall all my software and settings, and the end result of Apple's migration app is questionable, as I found in moving to El Capitan. In fact, I upgraded my Yosemite disk to Sierra.

I spent countless thousands over many years on Apple computing, pre-iPhone, pre-iPad, and I felt since the introduction of the iPhone that Apple was pulling away from the Pro market to the extent that it became near abandonment. They now seem to be making up ground, both with Pros and Education. But if they think that souped-up iPads can take the place of real computing, then they're delusional.

pastrychef wrote a detailed review of your files #321 and I believe you should follow his lead for he has helped many people. Try his suggestions, particularly regarding adjustments to your Clover plist. If you are not familiar with the use of Clover Configurator, then get used to it through practice. If you are hesitant to move forward because you may lose your working system, remember that a quality clone of your main drive using SuperDuper! will be bootable internally or externally. Trust me, that app makes a perfect clone of your drive and it's as bootable as your original.

At some point I realized that if I was going to continue on the path of hackintosh, which I think furthers the cause of Apple and takes the macOS to the edge of its powers, I had to learn a whole lot more about what I was doing. That's why I read threads like this one and follow the developments. If I reply to a post, I think I might be able to help, but I hope to be corrected by pastrychef or many others if needed.

I learned a lot by a practice clean install. You can try that, but not an install you hang your hat on. If you do result with a beautiful clean install that fits your build, then take that resulting EFI folder and transfer it to the clone of your working partition, removing your old EFI folder, and see what happens. By starting with basics, I cut a lot of the accumulated junk in my install. When I get off my MBP and get over to my work computer, I'll post Geekbench scores and comparisons that show what a non-Pro card like the 1080 Ti can do. I doubt you need a different graphics card for now. Post-R9 280X was not a good period for AMD, especially for hackintoshes, and now the pendulum is swinging some the other way. Pascal is strong.

I just got myself a GTX 980ti and installed it in the 10.13.4 fresh system. Tried using webdriver.sh to install older drivers (versions 106 and 104) and tried using latest ones, but after each and every sleep/wake, there is absolutely unbearable lag or fps drop for any system animation, even dragging windows looks like 2 frames per second. Also, noticed that the system doesn't ever survive a long sleep, every morning I find it rebooted after a night of sleep. Any idea how to solve both problems?

I just got myself a GTX 980ti and installed it in the 10.13.4 fresh system. Tried using webdriver.sh to install older drivers (versions 106 and 104) and tried using latest ones, but after each and every sleep/wake, there is absolutely unbearable lag or fps drop for any system animation, even dragging windows looks like 2 frames per second. Also, noticed that the system doesn't ever survive a long sleep, every morning I find it rebooted after a night of sleep. Any idea how to solve both problems?

I had this issues with Maxwell. There seems to be a WindowServer memory leak as the GPU vRAM keeps filling up for no apparent reason.

Can you try a Pascal card instead? If you really want to stick with nVidia....

If you don't want to stick with nVidia, get an AMD card.

I had this issues with Maxwell. There seems to be a WindowServer memory leak as the GPU vRAM keeps filling up for no apparent reason.

Can you try a Pascal card instead? If you really want to stick with nVidia....

If you don't want to stick with nVidia, get an AMD card.
I've had AMD cards (Vega 56, RX 580) because of their promise of 'OOB' functionality, but neither of them worked really well, all had issues, so I've borrowed 980ti to see if these are any better. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with Pascal card.

Yeah, I think I did say too early.

New problem today: when using illustrator or other heavy workload GPU apps, screen begun to show big black squares and blinking all the time

The issue does not happen with games, tough

Anyone knows any fix to this problem?
Images attached below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.38.58.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.38.58.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.39.02.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.39.02.png
    872.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.39.05.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 18.39.05.png